Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

need help troubleshooting cpap error
need help troubleshooting cpap error
Hello,

I have had my machine for about a week. Last night I brought it with me while visiting family and I found that the machine does not seem to be working correctly now that I have plugged it and unplugged it.

Normally, I feel controlled bursts of air at a regular interval. Last night, I realized that the machine seemed to be putting through a steady flow of air rather than the steady pulsing flow I am used to.

The only difference is that I disconnected the humidifier segment and left it at home for ease of travelling. Also, I noticed at my family member's home when I turned the machine on the ramp settings had disabled.

I am using what appears to be a Phillips Respironics REMstar pro system one.

I would appreciate any assistance as I am without my manual, paperwork, and 800 number for the company that provided my machine.

Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: need help troubleshooting cpap error
(03-31-2012, 06:22 AM)hippipdip Wrote: Hello,

I have had my machine for about a week. Last night I brought it with me while visiting family and I found that the machine does not seem to be working correctly now that I have plugged it and unplugged it.

Normally, I feel controlled bursts of air at a regular interval. Last night, I realized that the machine seemed to be putting through a steady flow of air rather than the steady pulsing flow I am used to.

The only difference is that I disconnected the humidifier segment and left it at home for ease of travelling. Also, I noticed at my family member's home when I turned the machine on the ramp settings had disabled.

I am using what appears to be a Phillips Respironics REMstar pro system one.

I would appreciate any assistance as I am without my manual, paperwork, and 800 number for the company that provided my machine.

Thank you.

I do not have your machine, but if you felt steady "pulses" in the air that lasted throughout your therapy, I suspect you are talking about exhalation relief, which for your device would be C-Flex. C-Flex reduces the pressure when you exhale, making it easier for you to breath out. This would probably feel like "pulses" of pressure as C-Flex reduces pressure on exhalation and increases it on inhalation.

On your machine, the DME can set up the machine so that you have control to change C-Flex settings, or they can block you out of it. It sounds like perhaps you changed your C-Flex settings when you packed your machine. If user adjustment of C-Flex is enabled for your machine, you should be able to access a menu that allows you to select different settings for this. Many providers consider exhalation relief to be a comfort feature that can be controlled by the user (similar to humidity), and not an alteration of the prescribed pressure.

Again, I do not use any type of exhalation relief, but I it sounds like this is what you are describing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much. It turns out that cflex control is only accessible via the hidden clinicians menu, which I was able to access via the instructions here.

I have gotten such little information and vaguely shabby treatment from both the center that conducted my sleep study and my referring physician that even the process of getting better has been trying.

Much appreciated
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-31-2012, 09:45 AM)hippipdip Wrote: I have gotten such little information and vaguely shabby treatment from both the center that conducted my sleep study and my referring physician that even the process of getting better has been trying.

Much appreciated

this is exactly why we are here. if the places that should support you, would support you, there would be no reason to search the internet. everyone has a story and none of them talk about great after care support once you take the machine home.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
The CFlex access should not have been hidden by your DME. It is for your comfort benefit and is 'designed by the manufacturer' to be avble for the patient to adjust the comfort level of the exhalation pressure. Glad you found out how to change it. Like LTMedic. I don;t use it or the ramp feature, as it is an aggravation to me, however they both are probably necessary to you at this time as you begin acclimating to the CPAP for your therapy.

The on/off knob that is used to access the menu and make changes is very touchy. Its quite possible it was rotated and pressed when you plugged it in at your temp location.

I don't quite understand the pulses that you are describing, but just to insure that your machine is operating properly, I offer this: with the mask removed, you should be getting a "steady" flow.. no pulsing..
The "pulsing?" or reduction of pressure should be felt ..with mask on.. and you are exhaling..
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Hippipdip
Welcome

Here's a link to the manual for your machine. This should explain how to set up some of the features. I have the same machine and you can change the ramp feature from the normal controls.

http://respironicsremstars.respironics.c...Manual.pdf

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, it was the Cflex setting that reset. The ramp setting had reset as well, but that I was able to find easily in the regular menu.

I wasn't aware that cflex is merely a comfort option. Both the machine I tested on and the one I was given at home had it, so I was assuming that was integral to the efficacy of the therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

Hi Not sure how to shorten this one, anyways hello pip and welcome to cpap central Big Grin It seems that some machine do reset themselves if switched off for some time but never mind because as you have found out it can be overcome. probably a good idea to read up some more on your machine just incase something like this happens again. If you have any other problems, just shout and someone will help.

again welcome to the forum Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-31-2012, 11:34 PM)hippipdip Wrote: Yes, it was the Cflex setting that reset. The ramp setting had reset as well, but that I was able to find easily in the regular menu.

I wasn't aware that cflex is merely a comfort option. Both the machine I tested on and the one I was given at home had it, so I was assuming that was integral to the efficacy of the therapy.

It depends on what source you read. I've seen some that report exhalation relief as merely a comfort option. However, I think several people on this board have reported that their OSA/CSA numbers change when they adjust their exhalation relief settings. Needless to say, it sounds like you are restoring the settings to wha they were prior to traveling with you machine. If you are looking at changing them frm your original setting, you should check with the doc first, in my opinion.
Post Reply Post Reply
On the PRS1 Pro the C-Flex setting can be changed on both the user menu and the clinician menu.

When I started using these machines I too thought the machine was behaving differently at different times. The C-Flex setting also affects the pressure while inhaling, and you'll notice the pressure dropping off as you inhale very slowly.

These bothers go away as you get acclimated to the device. If they are bothering you try lowering the C-Flex setting for a while.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Diagnosis] Best Sleep Hospital or Clinic for Troubleshooting PAP Perchance2Dream 1 464 04-13-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Airsense 11. Heating system error Jskier 6 7,021 03-30-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Ron LI
  New User - Mask Seal Error WJ5596 6 391 02-12-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: WJ5596
Gross DreamStation Error Front Panel drouou 2 226 02-10-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: drouou
  Error 1 Rafael Bezerra 1 360 12-20-2023, 09:00 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] Resvent iBreeze 25STA error code: 609 Mic0228 0 825 09-24-2023, 08:18 AM
Last Post: Mic0228
  Does a Large Leak Cause An AHI Error? BlueSky1958 3 836 07-19-2023, 06:07 PM
Last Post: Jeff8356

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.