Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

need interpretation of sleep study data
RE: need interpretation of sleep study data
My friend is finally getting a chance to try out my Dreamstation. It is set to auto from 5 to 15, and she is using nasal pillows because that was all I had to loan her. On her first attempt to use the machine, she says she is having a very hard time exhaling (feels like she is exhaling through a very narrow straw). Is there an adjustment I can make for her to resolve this?
Post Reply Post Reply
The only adjustment on the Dreamstation is AFlex. Set it to 2. Other than that, there isn''t much we can do.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-25-2020, 09:18 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The only adjustment on the Dreamstation is AFlex. Set it to 2. Other than that, there isn''t much we can do.

OK, will do. Thanks so much.
Post Reply Post Reply
My friend says she only lasted about 20 minutes on the machine last night. One issue is that the Medium mask frame I loaned her is too big. She ordered the Small online because it was only $8, and it should arrive on Monday. 

The main issue is still that she feels like she can't breathe. She thinks it's the exhale she's struggling with (we adjusted the flex and set it to 2), but it could also be the inhale. I'm not sure what to advise. 

It really gets on my nerves that she has to figure this out on her own. The sleep doctor told her he will only ask her insurance to cover the AirSense 10 if she can produce data showing a CPAP she borrowed from someone helped her. 

Another issue is the fact she's been taking a sleep med for years. Is there a consensus on taking sleep meds w/ CPAP treatment? I'm wondering if the sleep meds are slowing her respiration (?), so when she puts the CPAP on, she feels like she's suffocating? She feels like she won't be able to sleep at all if she doesn't take something.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's entirely possible she is having central apnea while on CPAP. Show us the chart. The pressures are simply too low to cause a problem exhaling, however it can feel higher if the leak rate is excessive and there is too much flow in the mask.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Will she have enough data after just using it for 20 minutes?
Post Reply Post Reply
Not really diagnostic, but we get to see why she was uncomfortable and quit.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
OK, great. I'll get her OSCAR data.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 226 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 76 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 530 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 118 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 62 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.