Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

need interpretation of sleep study data
need interpretation of sleep study data
Since you guys are so knowledgable, I have another puzzle for you. A good friend of mine had a sleep study 5+ years ago due to snoring and excessive daytime sleepiness (including nodding off at stoplights). The study did not show sleep apnea, but the doctor told her she might benefit from an oral appliance. She used one of those--and I guess it helped--for several years, until it messed up her jaw and she could no longer wear it. She just had a second sleep study and the results are posted here. What does this say to you? She is not getting any answers as to why she does not get restful sleep and is so frustrated. 

[attachment=27370][attachment=27371]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: need interpretation of sleep study data
I would guess UARS is a possibility. To tell I would need to check detailed views of the Flow Rate chart for undocumented flow limits.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you! Is that data she can request from the doctor? What I posted is everything they gave her (update: I could be wrong, she's checking her paperwork). The doctor would not submit a CPAP prescription to her insurance because apparently insurance will only cover CPAP for sleep apnea. He did say she could try using a CPAP to see if it helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2020, 06:35 PM)bonjour Wrote: I would guess UARS is a possibility.  To tell I would need to check detailed views of the Flow Rate chart for undocumented flow limits.

Do these help? She says the report is 13 pages long and she's not sure which pages to post. First one here might not even be from the recent study--looks like it was from a home study? Sorry, she's sleep deprived haha.

[attachment=27372][attachment=27373]
Post Reply Post Reply
No, the doc does not have access to the needed data.  This is data that we would see should a ResMed AutoSet being used overnight with an SD card inserted and then the charts read by someone who is very good at it.  
 The hallmark of UARS is a low AHI with High RERAs, none of the numbers match the criteria.  There are very, very few doctors that see UARS and pursue it to the point of getting insurance to pay for it.

The machine to look at is the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet or the AutoSet for Her variant which has an additional mode for the same cost.  ResMed is critical because that brand's algorithm targets flow limits and UARS is about Flow Limits.

There is no guarantee whatsoever that this machine will resolve the symptoms.
Post Reply Post Reply
Should I let her try my Dreamstation, just to see what happens? Maybe post OSCAR data here? Would that be helpful?
Post Reply Post Reply
That would allow us to view the data
The DreamStation is an extremely poor machine to treat her with.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also have an old REMstar Pro System One C-Flex Plus I could loan her, but I assume that would be even worse. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Your DS would be to help diagnose your friend.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for the help. I'll post results when I have them.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My sleep study (starting out) sabletaurus 5 148 Yesterday, 07:24 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Data interpretation - Luna G3 Big Ultima Energy 3 85 04-14-2024, 06:27 PM
Last Post: johnathanb76
  First night with new Bipap after sleep study and 37 AHI mostly CA PandaZA 87 1,364 04-13-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: PandaZA
  Oscar Data Interpretation UPDATED Johand77 1 106 04-10-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR data interpretation Johand77 8 184 04-10-2024, 02:45 PM
Last Post: Johand77
  [CPAP] Help with OSCAR data to help improve sleep Akaharu 6 213 04-06-2024, 11:35 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [Diagnosis] Second opinion on study is needed please Abdulfakih 17 358 04-04-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.