Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

need prescription for air travel?
RE: need prescription for air travel?
ApneaDubai Wrote:I can provide a worldwide update as of 2012 - I have been travelling extensively on all manner of long haul flights around the world and I have had no issue with the ResMed CPAP device in hand luggage anywhere. Its less hassle even than my laptop which I constantly have to take out. Obviously I remove the water in the humidifier before travel.

I also travel with my spare CPAP machine so I dont have to keep disassembly my main one at home.
Post Reply Post Reply
PaulaO Wrote:CPAPs in the US are wiped for chemicals such as bomb material residue. They have to be removed just like laptops. They wiped my CPAP, my chair wheels, and my laptop but totally ignored my bomb sized chair battery charger. What a joke. I don't blame the TSA agents themselves, I blame the management for not living in the real world.
Post Reply Post Reply
Steven Wrote:There are more & more airport locations that do NOT even make you take it out of the bag. But some still do. My experience is that they only wipe it down now if you have been randomly selected for additional screening.

It is noted on the TSA website that you can "request" that they change gloves before they handle your CPAP.

Some people even put their CPAPs in zip-lock bags to keep it clean if it needs to be removed from the bag & placed separatley on the conveyor belt. Of course, if they want to wipe it down, the zip-lock bag comes off.

Although I have never found any mention of the need to carry a prescription, I carry both a copy of my prescription and a copy of the purchase invoice. Never have been required to produce either one.
Post Reply Post Reply
iSnooze Wrote:
Steven,(time=1327956902) Wrote:Although I have never found any mention of the need to carry a prescription, I carry both a copy of my prescription and a copy of the purchase invoice. Never have been required to produce either one.
I had not thought about traveling with a copy of my purchase invoice. I'll make a copy and put it in the bag.

I'll be in Germany for a month this summer. I'm not worried about traveling with my cpap but I am wondering what I would do if something breaks. Fortunately I'll be with people who can help me navigate the German bureaucracy but I'd like to know what my options are before I leave just in case.
Post Reply Post Reply
Steven Wrote:
iSnooze,(time=1327967701) Wrote:
Steven,(time=1327956902) Wrote:Although I have never found any mention of the need to carry a prescription, I carry both a copy of my prescription and a copy of the purchase invoice. Never have been required to produce either one.
I had not thought about traveling with a copy of my purchase invoice. I'll make a copy and put it in the bag.
I carry a copy of my prescription and a copy of the purchase invoice more for if I needed a replacement of something than for TSA regulations.
Post Reply Post Reply
OldFatMan Wrote:This from the TSA website (and I do carry a bag and ask them to change gloves).

To facilitate CPAP machine hygiene and cleanliness:

Once out of the carrying case, you can place your CPAP machine in a clear plastic bag before placing the device in the bin. You will need to provide/bring your own plastic bag.

Upon request, TSOs will change their gloves prior to performing the visual and physical inspection, and ETD sampling of your CPAP machine. The CPAP will need to be removed from the plastic bag by the TSO to conduct the ETD sampling.

Upon request, TSOs will clean the table where the ETD sampling will be conducted.

Upon request, TSOs will change the ETD sampling media before conducting the ETD sampling.
Post Reply Post Reply
mckevin32 Wrote:Yep, no prescription needed (so far). It's a crap-shoot whether you will need to remove it from the bag at TSA. Las Vegas regularly just waves it through, but most of the smaller airports seem to still want it out.

Last time we cruised I just bought a couple cases of bottled water and put luggage tags on them. They were delivered to our cabin along with the rest of our luggage.

Plan on taking at least one multi outlet extension cord, Norwegian typically has only ONE 115v outlet in the cabin, and it is across the cabin from the bed...
Post Reply Post Reply
Steven Wrote:
mckevin32,(time=1327990101) Wrote:but most of the smaller airports seem to still want it out.
My experience is different.

I find that this is one case where size does not matter.
But still not sure why they differ in that procedure.

Some just note to the guy watching the screen that it is a CPAP & don't require you to open the case or take it out.

Some require you to just open the case & pull it out just slightly "so they can see the motor". Since the motor is inside of the plastic housing, I don't get that one. Isn't that what the Xray & screen is for?

Some do require you to take it out of the bag completely & run it through by itself.

The only time they wipe it down is if you get randomly chosen for additional screening. That happened to me when I was flying back from Madison, WI. in May 2011
Post Reply Post Reply
iSnooze Wrote:After reading this thread, I think it would be a good idea to find an extra large ziplock bag and just keep that in the bag with the machine in case I need to take it out of the bag and put it in one of those buckets. I agree with Davidvs who stated " (clean machine + dirty bucket = dirty machine = not on my face!)."
Post Reply Post Reply
Steven Wrote:
iSnooze,(time=1328093828) Wrote:" (clean machine + dirty bucket = dirty machine = not on my face!)."
Only the machine goes in the bin & not the hoses, mask, etc.
It is easy to just wipe the machine down after you get it back, or when you get to your destination.

But I do understand that some feel that the zip-lock bag is a necessity.
I do carry zip-lock bags, but have never used one.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,679 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 120 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 675 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,739 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  Small travel bag for ResMed 11 + Laptop? NelsonM 9 2,287 02-08-2024, 10:28 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Travel CPAP Concerns cyleclayton 3 459 01-18-2024, 12:32 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Prescription settings AfibApnea 12 795 11-21-2023, 09:08 PM
Last Post: AfibApnea

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.