Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

need prescription for air travel?
RE: need prescription for air travel?
Worthog Wrote:I recently travelled Brisbane to Auckland to LA, then back again on Air NZ. I rang them and they provided a seat with a power point, check which country the power point is - mine was USA, so I took an adaptor with me which I needed in USA anyway.

Then I could sleep on the long haul and still use my machine, air hostess filled the water and emptied when needed.

No problems with taking it on as hand luggage either, no one asked what it was, it just went through XRAY as per normal, didnt have to take it out of its bag

Ring your airline, they are very helpful
Post Reply Post Reply
greatunclebill Wrote:the last time i travelled i put my machine in the original case on the conveyor and it went thru the x-ray okay. it was never opened.
Post Reply Post Reply
mckevin32 Wrote:Spent last week in Vegas (working, sigh). We had both CPAPs in their cases packed into a carry-on. At ICT they made me remove the cases from the carry-on then remove the machines from the case for x-ray. Coming back, security at LAS sent them through just as I had them packaged and never blinked.

Roll the dice, because there doesn't seem to be a standard.
Post Reply Post Reply
Steven Wrote:
mckevin32,(time=1328659429) Wrote:they made me remove the cases from the carry-on then remove the machines from the case for x-ray.
So, you are the one who is always holding up the line!
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm from Canada, and I have had no problems at all flying across Canada, to the US, the Caribbean even Europe. I do carry a letter from my DME indicating that I require this medical device, but I have never had to show it.
Post Reply Post Reply
FYI, we have some information on Traveling with CPAP on our Wiki, here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._with_CPAP

It's not fully complete, so if someone would like to help complete the article, please read here about how to become a Wiki Editor for the Apnea Board Wiki.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

I traveled with my ResMed Autoset II throughout US and abroad including cruiselines. TSA procedures vary for each airport but generally no problems. Didn't have script and never asked. I do travel with a UL approved extension cord (16 ft) and have used tap water when distilled wasn't available. For the caribbean, I had to turn humidifier way down because of condensation. Never check in hold baggage. I purchased a spare on-line for travel only. It's worth the extra $150. Large storage or freezer bag and an extra mask seal also a good idea.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
I got a prescription and put it in the bag with the machine so its there. I don't wait to ask if they want the cpap removed from the bag, I automatically take it out as well as the portable battery i take when I travel just like other electronics. They ususally look at the battery more carefully than the cpap but other thn questioning what it is sometimes, there have been no issues in the USA, South Africa, Tahiti and elsewhere.

The only time I had an issue was having a 3rd carry on bag for the cpap when I was in Tahiti going back to the US but I had previously emailed Air Tahiti about the extra carryon for medical equipment, and got their reply to my email that having the extra bag as a carry on was ok. I showed that to the person and they eventually let me through. If I had spoken french or tahitian, it would have been smoother.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2012, 10:26 PM)jscholz Wrote: I got a prescription and put it in the bag with the machine so its there. I don't wait to ask if they want the cpap removed from the bag, I automatically take it out as well as the portable battery i take when I travel just like other electronics. They ususally look at the battery more carefully than the cpap but other thn questioning what it is sometimes, there have been no issues in the USA, South Africa, Tahiti and elsewhere.

The only time I had an issue was having a 3rd carry on bag for the cpap when I was in Tahiti going back to the US but I had previously emailed Air Tahiti about the extra carryon for medical equipment, and got their reply to my email that having the extra bag as a carry on was ok. I showed that to the person and they eventually let me through. If I had spoken french or tahitian, it would have been smoother.

I might suggest that the prescription and other paperwork not be in the bag with the machine. If TSA has the machine and carrying case and you need some sort of proof that it's yours or whatever they aren't likely to let you have access to the bag.

Post Reply Post Reply
I haven't flown with my cpap yet but I think that having a medical tag on the outside of the cpap bag would be beneficial in identifying the machine as medical equipment. I'm going to ask my DME if they have any.

Traveling with a medical record ID card wouldn't hurt either. I found a free one that you can create on line at [commercial link removed].

EDITED BY ADMIN: iSnooze, I hate to do this to you, but the commercial link's been removed per the rules.

Just to help folks out, if you do a Google search for "Med ID", it should be the second non-ad link that pops up. Once on the site, scroll down to near the bottom of the page and look in the far left column and you'll see where you can click to get a free ID to print up. Sorry, iSnooze, had to do it. Bigwink -SuperSleeper
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,680 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 124 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 675 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,747 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  Small travel bag for ResMed 11 + Laptop? NelsonM 9 2,294 02-08-2024, 10:28 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Travel CPAP Concerns cyleclayton 3 459 01-18-2024, 12:32 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Prescription settings AfibApnea 12 795 11-21-2023, 09:08 PM
Last Post: AfibApnea

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.