Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

need tips on cleaning a used machine
need tips on cleaning a used machine
not sure if this is off topic or belongs on the main forum...

I just picked up another used resmed machine that has about a year of hours but is pretty dirty.  the filter literally billowed dust when I removed and dropped it on a table.  humidifier chamber is calcium encrusted so that's probably trash. the gaskets that the chamber connects to inside the machine housing are also dotted with hard water deposits.  grimy around the switches/buttons. aside from wiping everything down (with what?) what else should I do?  compressed air?  remove housing?  non-using seller claimed no smoking and I didn't notice an odor when I ran it for a minute with my mask.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: need tips on cleaning a used machine
Trash the tub. No telling what is growing in there.

I'd not used compressed air. Maybe put it in a clean location and let it run without the filter on?

10% bleach solution kills essentially everything. Vinegar does a fantastic job of getting rid of odors, mineral deposits, and other nasties. I think we decided a 5-10% solution? I'll have to look that up.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
The clinician's manual has a whole section on ResMed’s recommended and validated procedures for cleaning and disinfecting the cleanable humidifier, air outlet and air tubing, including which solvents to use and in what concentration. The outer surface of the machine must be cleaned using a disposable cloth and mild detergent or alcohol disinfectant then dried with a disposable dry cloth. There is a long list of suitable reagents for exterior cleaning.

If you don't already have a copy of the clinician's manual for your machine, you can order it through the link at the top of this page.
Post Reply Post Reply
If vinegar is off-putting, or too slow/weak in the concentration you can easily obtain, try dissolving one of the de-scaling packets for coffee makers in warm water and fill your reservoir. Better, immerse it and the separated seal in a pot or bowl of the solution. Might save yourself the cost and shipping on a new reservoir.
Serial Tapist
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
thanks everybody. the visible gunk is cleaning up easily. I was going to toss the humidifier chamber but might as well try cleaning it first. with all the recent talk about uars, rera and flow limitations I thought I'd experiment with a low priced used vauto. I have my doubts given that I have mixed apnea and I think the majority of my flow limitations are my response to periodic limb movement, but no way to know without experimenting.

the machine came with a heated hose and 2 p10 assemblies. I tossed the pillow cushions out and soaked the hose and mask assemblies in hot (nearly 140 F) soapy water, then water jetted the mask vents. laundered the straps. it feels a little yucky to use an anonymous person's hoses but they look clean and according to the resmed manual maybe even disinfected.

what do you think? any real possibility of or danger in exposure to some kind of cooties or just a psychological issue to get over?
Post Reply Post Reply
I have successfully used Lime-Away to remove calcium deposits. Just rinse well and it's fine, and a lot faster than vinegar. If you are not accustomed to handling corrosive and hazardous materials, just stick with the vinegar. I don't endorse this use routinely, but it will eliminate all traces of calcium and hard water deposits.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-22-2019, 02:09 PM)sheepless Wrote: thanks everybody.  the visible gunk is cleaning up easily.  I was going to toss the humidifier chamber but might as well try cleaning it first.  with all the recent talk about uars, rera and flow limitations I thought I'd experiment with a low priced used vauto.  I have my doubts given that I have mixed apnea and I think the majority of my flow limitations are my response to periodic limb movement, but no way to know without experimenting.

the machine came with a heated hose and 2 p10 assemblies.  I tossed the pillow cushions out and soaked the hose and mask assemblies in hot (nearly 140 F) soapy water, then water jetted the mask vents.  laundered the straps.  it feels a little yucky to use an anonymous person's hoses but they look clean and according to the resmed manual maybe even disinfected.  

what do you think?  any real possibility of or danger in exposure to some kind of cooties or just a psychological issue to get over?

Before tossing the water tub, I'd give it a shot at cleaning it. It's easy enough to do. Same goes for the heated hose. And the mask as well. A little bleach ain't gonna hurt either. 

Hot soapy water as you mentioned, is the key. I do the same for my equipment. I'd have no issues cleaning a used mask. The headgear might be a little stretched out, but it should clean up well enough. 

I was in the military. A few germs here and there don't worry me none............... Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
thanks. the calcium deposits are coming out with vinegar at roughly 3 to 1 vinegar to water and a 1/16th inch dowel to scrape the far corners. overnight soak should loosen the stuff without the need to scrape. everything else looks good; just those invisible and probably imaginary cooties to get over.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hot water and dish soap works wonders. I use Dawn, and it's some good stuff.  Thumbs-up-2
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tips on hearing aid purchase MitchS 27 1,243 01-02-2020, 06:47 AM
Last Post: MitchS
  I am 'anemic'. Any tips or ideas, thoughts? Peter_C 42 8,871 01-27-2014, 02:43 PM
Last Post: Peter_C

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.