Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

need to choose an APAP ASAP. PR One 60 vs Airsense 10?
need to choose an APAP ASAP. PR One 60 vs Airsense 10?

Been reading reviews, but would love to get an opinion from someone who has tried both the Respironics PR One 60 APAP and the ResMed AirSense 10 APAP.

Finally going to get an APAP. (Lost 75 lbs and still losing.) Had a trial 6 weeks on the Philips Respironics PR One 60. Loved the normal "feel" of breathing, and the top swivel connection for the hose. Didn't like the heated humidifier much. Even the lowest setting felt "too warm," but it was too dry with it turned off. (Didn't use the heated tubing, didn't even know it was available.)

My doc's office is really pushing me to go with the ResMed AirsSense 10 instead. (I think they just like the rep better, for a different DME or manufacturer, honestly.) I don't want to get it without being able to try it. I've read all the reviews here that I can find, but nothing that compares and contrasts the two machines.

Since I have high-deductible insurance, this is gonna come out of my pocket, but I have to jump through the insurance hoops to help meet that high deductible! Oh-jeez

I want to order this ASAP, because I am miserable, back on my old 9 year old REMstar M series CPAP.

Thanks for your help and thoughts!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: need to choose an APAP ASAP. PR One 60 vs Airsense 10?
If you're comparing the PRS 1 DS560 machine to an Air Sense 10 Autoset, I believe the functionality is very similar.

I'd be concerned about an MD pushing one brand over another. They should have NO problem writing a script for a data capable APAP machine. You should decide which brand. That said, the ResMed machines are more expensive than the PR machines, so your out of pocket will likely be higher.

Just my two cents.
Post Reply Post Reply
The PR 560 flags standard what only the Airsense for her does like FL, RERAS etc. Its more battery friendly and can run off a back up generator with no inverters needed. Just plain old modified sine wave power.

There are a couple of different modes to the PRS1 560 for humidification. Heated hose mode, System One mode. Classic mode and cool passover with the humidifier heat turned off.

Also has a full two year warranty. I have the 560 the wife the older 550. If you go with the 560 take my advise and get the heated hose option even though now you think the humidifier is to warm. Youll just wind up getting the kit to add it later on trust me.

Both are excellent machines but dollar for dollar just my opinion you get more bang for your buck with the PRS1 560
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi OperaSinger,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I think both of those machines are comparable.
Hang in there for more answers to your questions. Here is a link with lots of good information that might help you in your decision: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy and good luck on your machine decision.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a big Resmed fan. That said, you loved your trial on the PR560. So to me, that's the one you should go for. They are both fine products and should serve you well. It's just that you sort of know what to expect with the PR560, and not so much with the Resmed.

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't have experience with an S-10, but I have used the S-9 for a few years and just put it aside in favor to the Respironics 560 Auto. So stop reading now unless you want my anecdotal ramblings comparing the DS560 to the older S-9. There may be some relevance though, especially in power outage notes.

I am liking the Respironics machine better, I think. It seems smoother in response. The S-9 would occasionally buffet the pressure and I would notice that. The 560 just seems more comfortable to me.

I also like that the Respironics can be run directly off of a battery (12 V) for those times when the lights go out (the S-9 was a 24 V machine and I assume that the S-10 is too, making compatibility with common batteries a problem, unless you go through ResMed's proprietary DC adapter. And that costs how much extra? A C-note? The Respironics I just remove the humidifier (guess I could just turn off the heat and go passive humidification) and hook it up to a 35-39 A SLA battery and I'm good to go for probably a week (actually about 8 nights if I do the math).

The Respironics is very, very, very, very, very **slightly** louder than the S-9 was (but it is still almost silent). The Respironics is not a pretty as the S-9 was, but I rarely sat up at night looking at it. I chose the ResMed initially because I had previously had an S-8 that ran and ran and ran. And because the S-9 looked less plasticky. And it had a color screen. But at the end of the day, I think I am happier with the Respironics 560. Or it may be honeymoon effect with a new machine.

Also, since you are applying your deductible to this purchase, the Respironics is probably a *little* more affordable ~ $50 or so. And you are already used to it and happy with its performance.

OMM
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2015, 08:39 PM)OperaSinger Wrote: My doc's office is really pushing me to go with the ResMed AirsSense 10 instead. (I think they just like the rep better, for a different DME or manufacturer, honestly.) I don't want to get it without being able to try it.

If you do try the A10, only accept the AutoSet For Her model.

With the For Her model we can choose between the gentler AutoSet For Her therapy mode, or the standard AutoSet therapy mode, or the plain old fixed-pressure CPAP therapy mode.

The standard A10 AutoSet Model cannot do the For Her algorithm. It can only do the standard AutoSet therapy mode or the plain old fixed-pressure CPAP therapy mode.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW, I bought my PRS1 60 series auto with heated tube and humidifier for $624 in Sept 2014. If you ask around, you will be able to get this config for < 700.

A Resmed A10 Autoset for Her with humidifier and heated tube will cost you $924. You can apply a $50 rebate if you buy a resmed mask with it. So at best it will be $874.

PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome, Singer.

Congratulations on the weight.

There's a good chance that your out of pocket expense, even with deductible, will be the same with any brand of CPAP machine. Be sure the DME is "in network" for your insurance. That's sort of a US thing, and varies with your policy.

I have S9 and PRS1 machines. I consider them roughly a tossup between brands. I don't have the newest A10 ResMed, but I expect it to be about the same.

The A10 AutoSet for her is better than the AutoSet, but you don't have a really good reason to "demand" it. The A10 AutoSet should be a fine machine.

Look at the "useful links" in my signature line at the bottom of this post. There's some information in there on dealing with the medical mafia and not getting screwed, and some information on various machines.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2015, 10:23 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: The PR 560 flags standard what only the Airsense for her does like FL, RERAS etc. Its more battery friendly and can run off a back up generator with no inverters needed. Just plain old modified sine wave power.

There are a couple of different modes to the PRS1 560 for humidification. Heated hose mode, System One mode. Classic mode and cool passover with the humidifier heat turned off.

Also has a full two year warranty. I have the 560 the wife the older 550. If you go with the 560 take my advise and get the heated hose option even though now you think the humidifier is to warm. Youll just wind up getting the kit to add it later on trust me.

Both are excellent machines but dollar for dollar just my opinion you get more bang for your buck with the PRS1 560

Thanks for your reply! Could you tell me a little more about the heated hose option, since I didn't get to try it? We keep our bedroom pretty cool, at 55 in winter and 70 in summer. Some specs said they work from 60-80 degrees. Will it still stop the tubing condensation at 55 degrees? Do they really work better than our good hose covers??
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 372 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 620 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 576 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 432 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,422 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,150 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.