Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

need to choose an APAP ASAP. PR One 60 vs Airsense 10?
RE: need to choose an APAP ASAP. PR One 60 vs Airsense 10?
OperaSinger,
I originally ordered the PR System One with Heated Humidifier. Even with pre heating the humidifier, it got very cold after a few hours. I couldn't take that cold air blowing up my nose all night. So then I had to order the "kit" to upgrade to a heated hose, which I love. The air just stays luke warm and is very comfortable. So it it best to order what you want from the start...ask for a humidifier with heated hose.
I don't have any experience with the ResMed machine, but I believe they are fairly equal machines.
Your Doc. should not have a say in what machine you get. That is your decision.
OpalRose
Sleep-well

Just wanted to add that I use a hose cover and I don't have condensation in the hose.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2015, 10:37 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: I don't have experience with an S-10, but I have used the S-9 for a few years and just put it aside in favor to the Respironics 560 Auto. So stop reading now unless you want my anecdotal ramblings comparing the DS560 to the older S-9. There may be some relevance though, especially in power outage notes.

I am liking the Respironics machine better, I think. It seems smoother in response. The S-9 would occasionally buffet the pressure and I would notice that. The 560 just seems more comfortable to me.

I also like that the Respironics can be run directly off of a battery (12 V) for those times when the lights go out (the S-9 was a 24 V machine and I assume that the S-10 is too, making compatibility with common batteries a problem, unless you go through ResMed's proprietary DC adapter. And that costs how much extra? A C-note? The Respironics I just remove the humidifier (guess I could just turn off the heat and go passive humidification) and hook it up to a 35-39 A SLA battery and I'm good to go for probably a week (actually about 8 nights if I do the math).

The Respironics is very, very, very, very, very **slightly** louder than the S-9 was (but it is still almost silent). The Respironics is not a pretty as the S-9 was, but I rarely sat up at night looking at it. I chose the ResMed initially because I had previously had an S-8 that ran and ran and ran. And because the S-9 looked less plasticky. And it had a color screen. But at the end of the day, I think I am happier with the Respironics 560. Or it may be honeymoon effect with a new machine.

Also, since you are applying your deductible to this purchase, the Respironics is probably a *little* more affordable ~ $50 or so. And you are already used to it and happy with its performance.

OMM

Thanks for all the great info! I live where we have frequent power outages. We don't feel competent to set up a generator, so would love any advice and/or recommendations for batteries. We are wondering about the Lithium ones. We have been using a "portable power supply" that weighs as much as a boat anchor, and gets us both through about one night, without humidifiers. Hubby is on 12, and I was on 14. Now, the APAP test shows averages of 5.5-7 cmwp for me.

The lithium ones look expensive, but still cheaper and less dangerous than us trying to connect a generator.

I'm sure that insurance won't cover batteries, so I have been looking online and getting very confused about what we need. Although it looks like the prices have come down since I last looked 2 years ago.

Any ideas and suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to everybody who replied.

Everybody here is awesome!! I have gotten more info here in a few days than I have in 20 years from the doc and the DMEs! Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2015, 03:17 PM)OperaSinger Wrote:
(03-08-2015, 10:37 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: I don't have experience with an S-10, but I have used the S-9 for a few years and just put it aside in favor to the Respironics 560 Auto. So stop reading now unless you want my anecdotal ramblings comparing the DS560 to the older S-9. There may be some relevance though, especially in power outage notes.

I am liking the Respironics machine better, I think. It seems smoother in response. The S-9 would occasionally buffet the pressure and I would notice that. The 560 just seems more comfortable to me.

I also like that the Respironics can be run directly off of a battery (12 V) for those times when the lights go out (the S-9 was a 24 V machine and I assume that the S-10 is too, making compatibility with common batteries a problem, unless you go through ResMed's proprietary DC adapter. And that costs how much extra? A C-note? The Respironics I just remove the humidifier (guess I could just turn off the heat and go passive humidification) and hook it up to a 35-39 A SLA battery and I'm good to go for probably a week (actually about 8 nights if I do the math).

The Respironics is very, very, very, very, very **slightly** louder than the S-9 was (but it is still almost silent). The Respironics is not a pretty as the S-9 was, but I rarely sat up at night looking at it. I chose the ResMed initially because I had previously had an S-8 that ran and ran and ran. And because the S-9 looked less plasticky. And it had a color screen. But at the end of the day, I think I am happier with the Respironics 560. Or it may be honeymoon effect with a new machine.

Also, since you are applying your deductible to this purchase, the Respironics is probably a *little* more affordable ~ $50 or so. And you are already used to it and happy with its performance.

OMM

Thanks for all the great info! I live where we have frequent power outages. We don't feel competent to set up a generator, so would love any advice and/or recommendations for batteries. We are wondering about the Lithium ones. We have been using a "portable power supply" that weighs as much as a boat anchor, and gets us both through about one night, without humidifiers. Hubby is on 12, and I was on 14. Now, the APAP test shows averages of 5.5-7 cmwp for me.

The lithium ones look expensive, but still cheaper and less dangerous than us trying to connect a generator.

I'm sure that insurance won't cover batteries, so I have been looking online and getting very confused about what we need. Although it looks like the prices have come down since I last looked 2 years ago.

You can look into laptop power banks like Poweradd Pilot Pro 32000mAh - $130 on amazon.

And if battery power is really needed as an option, then PRS1 60 series comes out ahead of Resmed.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2015, 03:17 PM)OperaSinger Wrote: Thanks for all the great info! I live where we have frequent power outages. We don't feel competent to set up a generator, so would love any advice and/or recommendations for batteries. We are wondering about the Lithium ones. We have been using a "portable power supply" that weighs as much as a boat anchor, and gets us both through about one night, without humidifiers. Hubby is on 12, and I was on 14. Now, the APAP test shows averages of 5.5-7 cmwp for me.

Which lithium chemistry are you talking about? There is the Lithium Ion which is probably most common at the current time, but more volatile chemistry. There is the Lithium Iron Phosphate LiFePO4 chemistry which is a little bit less energy dense, but more stable and less prone to fire.

I would consider those for travel use because of small size and light weight and plan, when funds allow, to get a travel set up based on the LiFePO4 cells.

However, at the current time, I am still using the SLA (sealed lead acid) batteries I got a year or two back. They are either of the 35 or 39 AH sex. Since I will not use humidification on them, I am able to get a week or better, conservatively, out of each one. (I run an average pressure of 9 cm H2O). ResMed has a battery guide that shows power consumption/run times for their units in various configurations, Respironics does not. I have tested and measured power consumption on the Respironics to get my estimated current draw. I also figure in a 50% fudge factor (I size the batteries at 150% the computed draw in AH (amp hours) for a given period) to allow for several factors such as charge state, efficiency, age of the battery, etc. More accurately, I assume that the APAP uses 150% as much energy as what I think it actually uses, and use that figure to estimate how long a given battery will run the machine.

The 39 AH that I am using are about 25 pounds each, have built in handles, and are L: 7.70" X W: 5.12" x H: 7.02" in size. They are spill proof. And since they are in the house and I don't have to move them all that much, the weight and bulk of the SLA batteries is the way to go for me since they are MUCH less expensive that LiFePO4 batteries of equivalent capacity.

I use a BatteryTender charger to top them off every couple of months.

Mine are CSB brand model EVH 12390 batteries. You could check the specs directly at TNR Batteries' or any other dealer web site. Other comparable batteries are available - but mostly at 35 AH in that size/weight foot print. Probably the easiest way to attach this type of battery to your CPAP would be to hook up a cable that ends in a female cigar lighter plug, preferably one with an integral fuse, to the battery and get a Respironics DC auto cigar lighter cable to run between the battery and the unit (assuming a Respironics setup).

If you want links to some of these things, shoot me a PM and I can supply them directly without voiding the warranty on the apneaboard.com.

I tinker with electronics and I have direct wire setups using Anderson power pole connectors. But I also have radio and lights wired on the same platform. And even a USB charger for tablet/cell phone charging.

Do not ever, if at all possible, plug the power supply into a battery powered inverter for emergency power supply. Terribly inefficient. That takes 12 V DC power, burns some of it up converting the current to 110-120 V AC, then the converter turns that 110-120 VAC back down to 12 V DC - again using up power to make the conversion to get back where you started from.

OMM
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2015, 08:39 PM)OperaSinger Wrote:

Been reading reviews, but would love to get an opinion from someone who has tried both the Respironics PR One 60 APAP and the ResMed AirSense 10 APAP.

Finally going to get an APAP. (Lost 75 lbs and still losing.) Had a trial 6 weeks on the Philips Respironics PR One 60. Loved the normal "feel" of breathing, and the top swivel connection for the hose. Didn't like the heated humidifier much. Even the lowest setting felt "too warm," but it was too dry with it turned off. (Didn't use the heated tubing, didn't even know it was available.)

My doc's office is really pushing me to go with the ResMed AirsSense 10 instead. (I think they just like the rep better, for a different DME or manufacturer, honestly.) I don't want to get it without being able to try it. I've read all the reviews here that I can find, but nothing that compares and contrasts the two machines.

Since I have high-deductible insurance, this is gonna come out of my pocket, but I have to jump through the insurance hoops to help meet that high deductible! Oh-jeez

I want to order this ASAP, because I am miserable, back on my old 9 year old REMstar M series CPAP.

Thanks for your help and thoughts!

I use the PR 560 and love all the info it records (using Sleepyhead software). I don't have a heated hose so will be happy to see what sort of responses you get regarding it's improvement of your environment.

I've not used another machine but my DME told me it was more dependablethanthe ResMed. His opinion.

As to cost there are CPAP/APAP suppliers on line that are GREATLY CHEAPER than a local DME! Thankfully for me right now my insurance is taking care of it from my local DME.

GB

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi OperaSinger
I love my A10 Autoset, its simplicity and efficacy data display on LCD screen

But as you write about PRS1 Auto .... Loved the normal "feel" of breathing"

Nobody can argue with that ... the grass is not always greener on the side

Post Reply Post Reply
System One for 5 years. So-so results - average AHI of 10-11. Switched to an AirSense 10 18 days ago. Absolutely no comparison. AirSense 10 hands down. Much more effective in handling events. First night AHI of .9 average AHI at 2.7 with average pressure of 13. Much quieter. Feeling MUCH better.  Hope I haven't jinxed myself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the PR 560 with humidifier and heated hose.  We sleep in a cool room, winter or summer.  I have a C-100 BPS Battery, small and lightweight.  It is costly, however.  I got it from Supplier #1 on the link at the top of the page--I just checked and they are no longer producing it.  It was about $250 on sale.  We camp in our travel trailer, most times without being hooked to AC power.  Spouse and I both use PAPS.  He hooks into the trailer batteries via a cigarette lighter type DC plug, using an inverter for his RedMed S9.  We run our generator every morning to re-charge my battery pack (we have AC plugs in the trailer) and our trailer batteries.  Neither of us use our heated humidifiers.  I do use pass-over humidification with no heated hose on battery power, and  usually don't bother with humidifier all summer.  When it gets colder my nose get cold with no heat in hose or humidifier and I turn it on for the winter.  We've only lost power at night once--a few weeks ago.   I went about 2 hours before I woke up-got tired of forcing my breathing--thought my nose was plugged up.  I considered hooking up my battery pack--it was within reach--but that meant getting out a flashlight that wasn't within reach in a another room so I just went back to sleep--first time without my machine on for nearly 2 years.  My husband has a battery we took out of my Prius--it is small and still holds a charge (closed cell) that he is going to hook up for his backup--but hasn't.  I felt better than usul the next morning--to my surprise.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 363 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 613 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 557 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 426 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,410 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,147 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.