Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Airfit 10
Humidifier: Resmed
CPAP Pressure: 4-12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

new ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet
I am new to this. The VA gave me a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet The auto ramp time is set to 45 min. Is this for sleep detection, and cannot be set. In the resmed software it is grayed out. Do I have to go to manual? and set it. My start pressure is 4 and sometimes if feels as though I have trouble breathing.

I also tried the pillows mask but it caused sores in my nose and leakage from the side of my mouth (lips flapping). I now have the AirFit 10 full face mask which sucks for stomach sleeping or side sleeping because of air leaks.

any advice.

BobC
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2016 11:21 AM by robert coleman.)
05-18-2016 11:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

RE: new ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet
Welcome

If the ramp time is grayed out, then it is likely turned off. (Three settings: on/off, time, and where to start pressure.)
Ramp is worthless (and hence unusable) with a 4 cm-water starting pressure.

At minimum pressure = 4, many people feel air starved. Suggest minimum pressure of 6 cm-water.
Leave Ramp off. BTW -- purpose of ramp is to have the pressure come up while one is trying to fall asleep. Useful for some; unnecessary for many.

I side sleep with a full-face mask. It can be done.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2016 12:06 PM by justMongo.)
05-18-2016 12:01 PM
Sleeprider Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Hi Bob, welcome. You can change any of the settings on your machine by entering the clinical menus. It's not difficult, just press the control knob and Home button at the same time. The display will illuminate and indicate you are in clinical setting mode. Press the control knob to access the settings. It's a good idea to scroll through the settings and record their values before making any changes. Ramp time and minimum pressure can be changed. A starting pressure of 4.0 is simply too low for most of us. You will have to decide what is comfortable, or if you would prefer to turn off Ramp altogether. I'll suggest that 6.0 is more comfortable, and you may want to go higher. Most experienced users do not use this feature. I would limit ramp to the minimum time you need to adjust to the pressure comfortably. You can make it as little as 5-minutes or as long as 45 minutes.

While in the settings, you can scroll to the Options menu and select Essentials. You want to set this to "Plus" in order to see the AHI and other therapeutic data on the screen. When you are done making any changes or recording settings, just scroll to home, then highlight the Exit Clinical Menu and select with the control knob. This will exit the settings, and return you to User settings.

Auto ramp is designed to keep pressure low until a sleep breathing is sensed by the machine, then it fairly quickly ramps up to therapeutic pressure.

With regard to the Pillows mask, it is the most comfortable of the options. To prevent sores, you should increase the size of the pillows. You may think medium is right, but the pillows mask does not insert into the nares, it rests on top. Try a larger pillows size and see if that works for you. I hate to see you in a full face just because you didn't get fitted right.

05-18-2016 12:02 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Rcgop Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 autoset
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10
Humidifier: installed
CPAP Pressure: 6.0 - 10.0 / EPR 2
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

I too have the same setup. 4 start pressure was too low. Felt starved for air. Dr. Doesn't tell you how to change settings and I am not recommending it, but the internet is full of "how it's done". After 2 months of misery and research I did change my settings. I will apologize later.

I also had a fair amount of mouth leaks with the nasal pillows but with a chin strap, a CPAP pillow, and some patients, I have it under control. I am glad I did.

HuhDont-knowI am an accountant so any advice given here is not medical. If I give any financial advice, you can take it to the bank. However, you will have a hard time cashing it in. Okay
05-18-2016 01:14 PM
T.Hud Offline

Members

Machine: Resmed ASV
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed
CPAP Pressure: N/A

Other Comments:

When I went in for a sleep study they fitted me with pillows and jammed them tightly into my nose to make sure they sealed. I spent months hoping that the soreness would go away and in the meantime developed sores inside my nostrils from the pillows. I had read here that pillows were supposed to fit lightly but trusted my tech's expertise more. This is called learning the hard way! One day I switched my pillows from the Medium to Large, let them rest more loosely against my nostrils and now it's very comfortable. A lighter weight mask (Airfit P10) was an improvement too. I sleep on my side and occasionally my mouth would open and cause a bit of a leak. It wasn't a huge problem but I started wearing a chin strap, fitted very lightly, and it stopped periodic large leaks.
05-18-2016 01:38 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi robert,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more responses to your post.

trish6hundred
05-18-2016 08:22 PM
Mosquitobait Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 For Her
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: integrated, Climate line tube
CPAP Pressure: 9-12

Other Comments: RLS and Bradycardia

Sex: Female

Honestly, I think the 4 pressure is there for children since most adults find it uncomfortable. I'd start with 6 as others have suggested. I used the ramp function for maybe the first 6 weeks, lessening the time over time. Some use it always and that's just fine. Currently, my pressures are set at 9-11 so it essentially acts like a ramp since I stay near 11 most of the night. Smile
05-19-2016 03:38 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
icyura10 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: RESMED AirCurve 10 VAUTO
Mask Make & Model: Phillips Respironiscs DreamWear under the nose nasal ma
Humidifier: INCLUDED
CPAP Pressure: IPAP (20); EPAP (12); PS (8)

Other Comments: I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in!

Location: I'm just a Galactic Traveler Traversing the Universe on a Blue Rock!

There's a Product called "AYR" and it comes in the Commercial name and some places carry an equivalent "generic" formulation of this product. You can get this at pharmacies, Wal-Mart and some grocery stores (usually in the pharmacy department).

Basically, this is a Saline Nasal Gel with Aloe. A buddy of mine turned me on to this product and said to put it around your nostrils before mounting your pillows to your nose.

Me, I put just a small drop on each of the pillow ports, smear the gel around with my finger, then put on my pillows.

Ok, so it takes a few times before it starts to feel normal. Now, don't use too much or you might hear it "gurgle" if air escapes between your pillows and your nostrils, but my nostrils haven't been sore yet!

Oh, and you can't smear your pillows, then set them down for 15 minutes then put them on because the product will evaporate.

Since the product is a Saline Gel, it won't harm the pillows in any way.

Hope you have as good an experience doing this as I am!

Good Luck!
05-21-2016 02:49 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Question ResMed AirSense 10 Badjo17 25 2,267 12-02-2016 11:02 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Is this sound normal? - Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset Ronberta 8 1,213 11-29-2016 07:59 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  [Equipment] ResMed Airsense 10 Quit Working SherrieR 4 223 11-26-2016 07:51 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
Angry Resmed Airsense/Telstra 2G wireless kerput JamesW 2 184 11-24-2016 11:08 PM
Last Post: JamesW
  ResMed Airsense 10 Auto Set...Runaway Pressure Abnormal86 14 521 11-22-2016 11:39 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  [Pressure] new airsense 10 new at this abrun7 7 485 11-19-2016 02:12 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [CPAP] ResMed AirSense 10 makes loud noise when inhaling. sanger 86 29,979 11-17-2016 09:14 PM
Last Post: comphelp