Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

new contec 50F finger probes short lifespan?
new contec 50F finger probes short lifespan?
I can tell from the various pictures on the internet that the Contec 50F has two versions, with the newer version has the probe plug into the wristband with a usb C connector. I just had my second probe fail. Both of them failed after about 4 months of use.

The first one I chalked up to a one-off weak solder joint, but now that I've had a second one fail on pretty much the same time frame I'm thinking that it's the design.

Have other users had the same experience? If anybody else has had a failure, has anybody successfully taken one apart and fixed it?

I ordered another probe a couple of weeks ago, and it shipped on the 21st. No idea when it will arrive, though, since it is shipping from China.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: new contec 50F finger probes short lifespan?
I've now had the third probe fail.

I think that it's a really poor design, in that snagging the cable jerks on the solder joint on the finger part, and pulls it out.

The hubs thinks that a smarter design would be bluetooth between the probe and the wristband.

Anybody else had similar experience, or am I just unlucky? Anybody figured out a fix?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: new contec 50F finger probes short lifespan?
To help prevent the cable snagging you could try using some tape (paper surgical tape) to hold the cable in place.  Or maybe an elastic "Ace" bandage.  Even an old sock over your hand.

While it doesn't solve the design issue, it may help the probe(s) last longer.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Big Gap In Readings - Hours of use too short an4g745 12 526 03-01-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Long story short chronic 5 415 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
  Lifespan of the ResMed AirMini Columbiabill 2 855 11-30-2023, 11:45 AM
Last Post: tanguero
  Contec CMS50E Pulse Oximeter Software John7 0 400 11-12-2023, 09:18 AM
Last Post: John7
  [Equipment] Alternatives to Vitacom and Contec for Overnight Oximeter Giantmushroom 2 534 10-22-2023, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Giantmushroom
  [CPAP] Short Duration Cpap Usage Myeung 3 513 06-27-2023, 06:45 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question New home sleep study device found - Contec RS10, has anybody tested it??? djrem3000 0 811 05-23-2023, 10:28 AM
Last Post: djrem3000

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.