Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

new cpap machine
RE: new cpap machine
(10-28-2017, 12:12 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(10-28-2017, 11:48 AM)jamescox145 Wrote: No i paid for this myself. And the cpap u refer to is the basic unit for $400. I already did my research on it. I have the autoset which is $700 to $800 online not the basic

No, I'm talking about the Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet, standard hose, carry case and heated humidifier on Amazon for $509 today, but has varied from $440 to $550, and includes the Climateline in some configurations.  This is most like your Resmed S9 Autoset.  I think you actually have the Philips Respironics Dreamstation Auto DSX500T11, which is currently on Amazon at $383.   If you think the Dreamstation Auto has any resemblance to a Resmed Autoset, then that might be why you find yourself in this situation.

Been a long time since I've been here, but last week I got an unsolicited email from ][commercial web address removed] about a Dreamstation. Since my Philips 560 was making a little noise, I got interested and started searching Dreamstation. This was late at night and my wandering got me to Amazon and I saw the Auto 500T. I am shocked at the $378 price and figured it was not an Auto Cpap but an entry level fixed version. There were reviews and answered questions, but I still was weary. Sent some questions and, unbelievably,  I get answers right away. It IS the 500T package with carrying case, humidifier, heated hose etc. and no prescription needed. (I have one, but we all know it's a pain to actually document) I went ahead and clicked 'Buy' figuring that if something was wrong, it WAS Amazon (US) and they would make it right.

The next day, I clicked on 'My Orders' and see that it was on it's slow boat shipping way and the $378 (no shipping, no tax) was charged to my debit card, but when I clicked on the original page, I got the 'Amazon can't find that page. Look at our dogs instead'. Now I am really worried. 

But today it arrived in a genuine Philips cardboard outer box and inside was a sealed carrying case containing a DSX500TI and all the accessories that model comes with. All sealed in genuine Philips plastic bags. It is perfectly new in all respects.

That page has never been reactivated, but I see new pages that have the 500T and watched the price go from $478 to $418.99 in less than a day. 

I have not plugged my new machine in or done any set-up, as I am still worried. Are these grey market goods?  Hot?  What gives?

Should I worry or does this just expose how much these machines are marked up by insurance, DME etc.?

I hope y'all don't mind, but I may start a new thread with this post as I am anxious to return or keep.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
Keep it and use it. Certainly not stolen, more likely a distributor moving stock on at wholesale prices
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-20-2017, 03:18 PM)jaswilliams Wrote: Keep it and use it. Certainly not stolen, more likely a distributor moving stock on at wholesale prices

Had it been Craigslist or Ebay, I wouldn't have pulled the trigger. I've spent a lot with Amazon the last few years and figured that they'd eat the $378 rather than lose me as a customer. Thanks....I feel  better now.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-28-2017, 03:39 PM)jamescox145 Wrote: Well sleep rider you got something twisted in translation but you would know what i have. So good for you. You might want to go back to original post and reread.. i have never seen this dream station cpap for 495 on a Craigslist ad ever. I have seen dream station listed on Amazon for 400 but i would not trust it was unused in original condition let alone the right model. But i concede to your outstanding and fominable knowledge....

Good grief!  Ugotta burr in ur butt?  The man is trying to help you.. Oh-jeez  Be nice..
Post Reply Post Reply
Eddie, the Amazon machines come from DMEs or wholesale distributors. It's a great deal on a new, first-quality machine. Many members here have them. Something else to be thankful for is affordable, acessible medical devices. Enjoy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-20-2017, 06:08 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Eddie, the Amazon machines come from DMEs or wholesale distributors.  It's a great deal on a new, first-quality machine.  Many members here have them.  Something else to be thankful for is affordable, acessible medical devices.  Enjoy.

I was first diagnosed around 2003 or so and did the whole insurance/DME dance and ended up with a REMStar with C-Flex (nice machine). And, of course, they let you think it's a $3000 machine.  Rolleyes

When I decided to upgrade, I became a member here and also discovered that this thing called the Internet now allows one to purchase a machine outright rather than being forced to do the kabuki dance.  Since I had a good experience with Philips Respironics, I decided to stay with them and purchased from retailer number 1 (I think that's the code) and got the System One DS560BT. Heated tube, humidifier etc. for around $650.

So I had a ballpark figure for what a top-of-the-line Auto CPAP ought to run. When I saw the price at about half the "going" rate (and the one I got from retailer number 1 was a real good price at the time. Lots of competition on Respironics and ResMed Grin )  I was leary. But, as I said in the earlier post, this looks like brand new A stock equipment and I've just finished setup and entered the serial number into the DreamMapper  app on my phone. It accepted it and didn't say anything like "Stay there...we have informed the FBI"....so....all looks good.

I guess if someone is overstocked, getting a few quick bucks is better than letting them sit around. Their paperwork maybe as irksome as ours. 

So to anyone else, I say go for it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I went for it about a month ago for US$383. I already have one, but at that price I couldn't pass it up, either as a backup machine or for my wife who may be next after her upcoming sleep study. Problem was, they don't ship to Canada. But I had it sent to my brother in Kentucky who's coming up for Christmas.

My guess is the nice online sellers are playing cat and mouse with the bad ol' DMEs and/or manufacturer exclusivity clauses, so that's why we're occasionally seeing dogs on Amazon. Sad

[Image: 15._TTD_.jpg]

They're up to $412 now by a seller from whom I ordered mine. But it gives you something contemplate, though, doesn't it? If they can sell brand new, authentic ones with free shipping for that price and still presumably make a profit, just what kind of preposterous markup are DMEs charging? Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-20-2017, 09:57 PM)Sheepish Wrote: But it gives you something contemplate, though, doesn't it? If they can sell brand new, authentic ones with free shipping for that price and still presumably make a profit, just what kind of preposterous markup are DMEs charging? Thinking-about

Well....it's like higher drug prices in the US. We are the rich country of the world, so our higher costs help to subsidize lower prices elsewhere.

And exorbitant prices and palm greasing of insurance, Medicare and DMEs allows Philips et al. to do R&D and get great products to market.

So the vast majority of (especially new) CPAP users/buyers, fund the market, and us veterans who now know the score, can use that knowledge to get better bargains.

It's been years since I went the insurance/DME route, but I would not be surprised if the "co-pay" required would be about the same as I paid to get my brand new top-of-the-line machine!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 87 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 303 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 622 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 198 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,727 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 365 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,291 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.