Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

new cpap user - Best Machine/Software?
new cpap user - Best Machine/Software?
Hello,

I am a newbie to the cpap world, I have suffered with sleep apnea
for about 10 years and have only recently done something about it.
I had a sleep study done and had an AHI of 103. now with my machine set at 6.0cm my AHI is down to 3 ! my question is, what is
the absolute best machine/software to get? and if i bump my
pressure up to 6.5cm would this get my AHI even lower?

regards,

Geoff
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: new cpap user
Hi gnconway73,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's good that you finally started treating your sleep apnea.
Hang in there for answers to your question and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Let's face it, Geoff, all CPAP machines do what they were designed to do. I've not mined the machine data for our membership yet, but I suspect the majority of users have either some kind of a ResMed S9 or the machine you are currently using. The biggest difference between the two is price, with the ResMed being almost twice the price of the PR (I know this from personal experience with trying to find the right machine in Feb 2011).

As for pressure settings, 6 seems very low for an AHI of 103. If you are going to adjust your pressure settings upwards, do it in small increments until your AHI is in the 0.1 to 1.0. The lower the AHI, the better!
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Doesn't the PRS1 work with SleepyHead?
This would be a good time to begin monitoring. Wink
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, the pressure has little to do with the initial pre-CPAP AHI. You would think that a high AHI would require a way high pressure but that's not the case. It comes down to how much pressure is needed to keep the throat open. An AHI of 103 on a patient with lots of throat muscle and fat and laying on your back would need a high pressure. But a skinny side sleeper with the same AHI would need less.

Leave your pressure alone.

How long have you been using it?

You want the AHI to be less than 5 so you're doing good. Getting it lower will not automatically mean better sleep.

As for software, it depends on which model your PRS1 is. If it is an x60, you can use SleepyHead but will need the patch. Follow these instructions:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...e-software
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
awesome!

thanks for the info I have downloaded the sleepyhead software and intend to use it!
Post Reply Post Reply
Good!

When you look at the data, the AHI is but one part of the whole picture.

How long do the events last?
What is the flow rate?
What is the leak rate?
How do you feel?
Do you get sleepy during the day?

No two nights are the same so it takes a while to notice trends.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I am new to cpap therapy - 2 months and just had a follow-up sleep study. Feeling a bit overwhelmed with all I need to learn. Help!

My AHI was 150 at the start of therapy; went right down to below 2 every night with a pressure of 7. After my follow-up, the tech changed my pressure to 13 but my machine, after just one night, is saying 7.2 for pressure; does it change incrementally?? Is there an error somewhere?

I have so many questions -- I need to start somewhere; glad to know there are experienced users out there. Thanks in advance.

Tiantian
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2013, 08:23 PM)tiantian Wrote: After my follow-up, the tech changed my pressure to 13 but my machine, after just one night, is saying 7.2 for pressure; does it change incrementally?? Is there an error somewhere?
Hi tiantian
Your machine S9 Elite is fixed pressure machine. Pressure does not change, stay constant all night except if set to start at lower pressure during Ramp .. in that case pressure climb gradually to set pressure over Ramp set period

The manual for your S9 Elite is available via email, scroll down to section three to ask for the manual
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Here is S9 setup to check the settings http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2013, 08:23 PM)tiantian Wrote: I am new to cpap therapy - 2 months and just had a follow-up sleep study. Feeling a bit overwhelmed with all I need to learn. Help!

Well, first of all, welcome to the forum. There's a lot to learn but you don't have to learn it all at once.

Why did you have a follow-up study after only two months?

Quote:My AHI was 150 at the start of therapy; went right down to below 2 every night with a pressure of 7. After my follow-up, the tech changed my pressure to 13 but my machine, after just one night, is saying 7.2 for pressure; does it change incrementally?? Is there an error somewhere?

It sounds to me like you misunderstood the tech. You might want to call them up and ask what pressure your machine is supposed to be set at. It would be unusual to need a change from 7 to 13 after only two months, but it's also unusual to have a follow-up study done after only two months.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 21 406 1 hour ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 86 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 300 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 620 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 198 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Oscar and SD cards for machine/user swap ahuman 3 115 03-15-2024, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,726 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.