Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

new cpap user
new cpap user
Hi,

I started CPAP May 19th this year, and while I feel better I am still waking up at night. The nasal pillows are working well and I keep it on all night, so I go back to the doctor June 23th with the machine to have him look at the sd card.
So, the reason Im asking is I am a little freaked out…. been reading about deaths related to OA… and mine is severe sleep apnea …. the oxygen got down to 74… have 100.7 stop breathing per hour.

so is waking up several times a night normal? or should I make a sooner appointment? my husband will be out of town soon and I will be sleeping alone for a week. kinda nervous
thanks for any help
S
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: new cpap user
I was diagnosed with severe OSA too, now my AHI on PAP below 1
The risk of dying of untreated OSA while been treated is completely diminished

The machine in your profile: Machine: Respironics System One
Not all machines are data capable, model numbers 450 or 460 (60 series machines) and above are data capable machines (below are not)
Data capable machines report efficacy data (AHI, leak, etc ...) gives insight of whats going on and supported by SleepyHead software
Here is the link to the software download http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-P...-and-Links

Edit: The model number printed at the label fixed at the bottom of the machine, remove the water tank before checking if using humidifier

Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
Sandybird, welcome, it takes us time to get used to sleep the full night, because we are all different some people adapt the first night and for some it takes ages. I wouldn't worry about trying to bring your appointment forward, your CPAP is probably doing the job it is supposed to. As you get more familar with CPAP you can download free software called Sleepyhead and analysis the data yourself.
Good luck and stick with what you are doing, the feeling better is a good start, well done.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sandybird,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Waking up at night is common. When you do that, just try to relax and not worry about it, I know that's easier said than done sometimes. If you find that you just can't get back to sleep, get up and do something calming and relaxing for a bit and then try again to get back to sleep. For example, what I do is get up and come into my livingroom, turn on the stereo real low, and read a bit and then I will try to get back to sleep.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome aboard! My own apnea level is as high or higher than yours, with obstructive issues as well as central apneas. My titration level is 16!

I'm now 8 years into this venture and on my 2nd machine. I still wake up to fuss with the mask, etc., but that has now become just another part of a normal night, like having to use the bathroom during the night, etc. I just about do it in my sleep. The big deal is that one can roll over and go right back to sleep and more, that one can stay awake during the day!

Just stick with it. The results are worth it. Oh, and WORRYING about whether you are sleeping or are going to die in your sleep are as much a cause of sleep problems as apneas. I'd learn to unwind your mind and just lay your head down and let it go. My wife is often amazed that I can do just that because my days are so filled with difficult stuff (I both manage facilities at a K-8 school and am a senior pastor). I just figure that God is on His throne and He's not worried, so why should I? Worst that can happen is I die -- and then I get to go home to paradise!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info and encouragement Smile

If I read the model number right it is 560 and they did say it would collect data that the doctor could download and we would talk about at the next appt.
I will just continue using it and like someone said, know God is in control and I do pray when I wake up too Smile

thanks again for the comments
S
Post Reply Post Reply
The 560 is the System One Series 60 Auto with A-Flex. That's a great machine and is a full efficacy data machine.

There is software that you can use to see the data if you want to.

Right now you can look at the AHI on the machines screen. With the machine off, turn the knob to highlight "Info" and press the knob down, turn the knob to highlight "AHI" and press it again. The number you see is last night's AHI.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2014, 12:46 AM)Sandybird Wrote: Hi,

I started CPAP May 19th this year, and while I feel better I am still waking up at night. The nasal pillows are working well and I keep it on all night, so I go back to the doctor June 23th with the machine to have him look at the sd card.
So, the reason Im asking is I am a little freaked out…. been reading about deaths related to OA… and mine is severe sleep apnea …. the oxygen got down to 74… have 100.7 stop breathing per hour.

so is waking up several times a night normal? or should I make a sooner appointment? my husband will be out of town soon and I will be sleeping alone for a week. kinda nervous
thanks for any help
S

Awww, Sandybird. You can relax. You didn't die before you started treatment so you aren't going to do that now. Everything is just fine and just as it should be. Including waking up in the night.

Waking up off and on in the night can simply be the body's natural response to finally getting some quality sleep. After solid sleep, the body will wake up enough to see what's going on, then go back to sleep again.

So you're doing great.

Post Reply Post Reply
I put it down to when we were cave men checking that our cave is still safe. Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sandybird,

I see only good news for you in what you've written.

Waking up several times a night now is a big improvement from the 101 times an hour (due to sleep apnea) they evidently measured in the sleep lab.

Similarly, your oxygen levels are going to be higher now on the CPAP.

So relax, it sounds like you're already doing better - and the fact that you're feeling better is the most significant thing of all.

Hang in there, let us know how you're doing, and in particular what your sleep doc has to say on June 23rd!

P.S. The 560 will display your AHI for the previous day, and the previous 7 and 30 day intervals. (It's not as good as checking with Sleepyhead, but I've had to rely on only what the CPAP itself reports with my previous machines.) The 560 on its own will allow you to confirm that your average AHI is already better than without CPAP.

And don't let the natural variations in night-to-night levels bother you - the long-term trend is what you (and the rest of us) are able to improve, and add years to your life, and life to your years.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 342 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,472 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,034 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,010 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,591 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 297 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 614 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.