Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] AUTO or not - Is the auto-CPAP machine inherently better than a CPAP?
RE: AUTO or not - Is the auto-CPAP machine inherently better than a CPAP?
I would agree with that.. Corporatism (basic fascism) is a better definition of what we have in the U.S.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Here in Canada Part of the cost is covered by the govenrnment, so there are strict guidelines as to when an APAP is offered (unfortunately). Overall if I was to purchase a unit it would be an Auto and as I only "need CPAP" then the unit could be programmed to be in CPAP mode. (this is what our suppliers use as loaner units as they can be programmed to operate in all modes). I would like the option to switch it to Auto to check on what the CPAP pressure should be set to.

Right now I started with a loaner S9 Auto, purchased the S9 Elite, returned the S9 Elite because of the motor noise, received a different S9 Auto as a loaner while they check out the S9 Elite. I go back friday to find out what the path forward is.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AUTO or not - Is the auto-CPAP machine inherently better than a CPAP? [copied]
(02-25-2012, 06:32 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
Steven Wrote:YEP, "Auto" CPAP (aka APAP) is ALWAYS the way to go - EVEN if you plan to always use it in straight CPAP mode.

In fact I feel so strongly about it, I just returned home with my brand spanking new ResMed S9 AutoSet.

I will post in a separate topic the steps I took to make certain that I got what "I" wanted.

Does anyone know the differences between S9-autoset and S9-VPAP? S9-VPAP is more expensive. I have been using S9-VPAP for 3 months, my nightly AHI's range from 4 to 10. I try to make it below 5, but everything is supposed to be auto and optimized by software, is there anything I can do? Or I have to leave my AHI from 4 to 10 and be happy?
Post Reply Post Reply
Typically, the autoset is used by those with obstructive sleep apnea and VPAPs are for those with central sleep apnea. If you have CSA, you'd want a VPAP for sure.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2012, 02:22 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Typically, the autoset is used by those with obstructive sleep apnea and VPAPs are for those with central sleep apnea. If you have CSA, you'd want a VPAP for sure.

I have both CSA and OSA, does VPAP handle both effectively?
My nightly AHI's range from 4 to 10. I try to make it below 5, but everything is supposed to be auto and optimized by software, is there anything I can do? Or I have to leave my AHI from 4 to 10 and be happy?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2012, 03:16 PM)SamWong2012 Wrote:
(04-24-2012, 02:22 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Typically, the autoset is used by those with obstructive sleep apnea and VPAPs are for those with central sleep apnea. If you have CSA, you'd want a VPAP for sure.

I have both CSA and OSA, does VPAP handle both effectively?
My nightly AHI's range from 4 to 10. I try to make it below 5, but everything is supposed to be auto and optimized by software, is there anything I can do? Or I have to leave my AHI from 4 to 10 and be happy?

Check your statistics - where is your 95th percentile pressure, median, etc?

You might find that the events you're having happen while you're at the low end of your pressure range. If that's the case, consult with your RT or Dr about raising the low number a point or two, to reduce the time the machine takes to ramp up to a therapeutic level. You don't want to go up too high, though, if you're like me - my median pressure numbers have been dropping since I started.

Post Reply Post Reply
What pressure does your machine use the most? The highest? The lowest?

When's the last time you saw your sleep doc?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Please add VPAP to the S9 in profile. The S9 AutoSet does nothing to central apnea as it does not initiate breath if you,re not breathing as in the case of central apnea no obstruction just not breathing on own.
Post Reply Post Reply
The answer to the question is "NO"
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2012, 03:46 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: What pressure does your machine use the most? The highest? The lowest?

When's the last time you saw your sleep doc?

Sorry getting back late, I finally figure out how to read my settings:

Therapy Mode: Vauto
Min EPAP 4.0 cmH2O
Max IPAP 25.0 cmH2O
PS 4
TI max 2.0
Trigger Med
Cycle Med
Max Ramp 30 min
Start E 4.0
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 19 351 48 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  hand numbness when using CPAP sleepingbetterinFl 2 62 7 hours ago
Last Post: 40plus
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 7 118 Yesterday, 12:48 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 255 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 84 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 68 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,337 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.