Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

new guy, need suggestions
new guy, need suggestions
I read the rules. Dont understand them Smile Is it allowed for anyone to suggest the type of mask I need? I cant sleep on my back, so I sleep on the side of my face. I was using pillows but it burned up today and I have no mask for tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: new guy, need suggestions
(02-15-2016, 06:07 PM)bwayne Wrote: Is it allowed for anyone to suggest the type of mask I need?

Yes, ask away... it's the selling, trading or transfer of prescription-required CPAP masks without a licensed DME (Durable Medical Equipment supplier) that is against the law in the U.S. and thus, against the forum rules. Discussing the various masks and their merits is perfectly fine, of course.

But you might want to give more details on what you've been using in the past, type of mask, brand, model, etc... and any issues you've had with masks in the past... there's hundreds of masks on the market, so there's a lot of things that go into choosing a mask. Are you purchasing outright by yourself, or do you get your masks through a Durable Medical Equipment supplier? Will they let you try different masks? Folks need more info from you first to give an intelligent answer. How did your mask "Burn up"?? In a house fire or what happened?
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW, in Canada, you don't need a prescription for masks...just thought I'd add that here! LOL
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2016, 07:06 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
(02-15-2016, 06:07 PM)bwayne Wrote: Is it allowed for anyone to suggest the type of mask I need?

Yes, ask away... it's the selling, trading or transfer of prescription-required CPAP masks without a licensed DME (Durable Medical Equipment supplier) that is against the law in the U.S. and thus, against the forum rules. Discussing the various masks and their merits is perfectly fine, of course.

But you might want to give more details on what you've been using in the past, type of mask, brand, model, etc... and any issues you've had with masks in the past... there's hundreds of masks on the market, so there's a lot of things that go into choosing a mask. Are you purchasing outright by yourself, or do you get your masks through a Durable Medical Equipment supplier? Will they let you try different masks? Folks need more info from you first to give an intelligent answer. How did your mask "Burn up"?? In a house fire or what happened?
Thank you.
I am looking for advice on the *type* of mask suitable for sleeping on the side of my face The last one left marks on my face and folks always wanted to know why.
The mask that burned was probably more than 10 years old so I dont remember the brand or where I got it. I dont know what a durable Medical Equip is, figured I would buy one on ebay or Amazon.
It Burned. Nothing left but ash. I have always cleaned it in a pan of boiling water. I put it on the stove, then went outside and found a flat tire on my Crestliner. By the time I had gotten the tire off of the rim, patched the tube and put everything back on the car. and went back in the house, it was full of stinky smoke. I feel a bit of panic, not having my machine. Since the first post I have been searching the internet and found the Dreamwear. That looks pretty good. What do you think about it?

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi bwayne,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Masks are such an individual thing. What I might like, you might not like, you just have to try some of them and see which one works for you.
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
Good luck in finding a mask.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
bwayne.. Your plight of not having a CPAP is understandably un-nerving to say the least. Your question of what "type" of mask to use is like asking how many breaths per hour do I need to stay alive. If you have been using the same pillows mask for the last 10 years, then it was a God-send that it burned up. You need a new one. But, why are you asking what "type" to use. You answered your own question. If the pillows (which is a "type") has been your choice for 10 years, then I would think that the pillows would be a natural choice for replacement. As a side sleeper the pillows "type" is normally quite satisfactory for most. Your pressure of 18, is in all likelihood, going to make any mask difficult to control leaking.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2016, 06:07 PM)bwayne Wrote: I read the rules. Dont understand them Smile Is it allowed for anyone to suggest the type of mask I need? I cant sleep on my back, so I sleep on the side of my face. I was using pillows but it burned up today and I have no mask for tonight.

Nasal pillows are the least bothersome. Try a jaw strap with it
. SHOP AROUND; some suppliers include mask etc. in the $1,080 OHIP max, others don't.
Resmed S9 is great, but the $50 humidifier chamber corrodes in a few months - shamefully low quality. My Fisher-Paykal chamber lasted 6 years and still intact.

Post Reply Post Reply
Bwayne, I have rosacea and very sensitive skin. I have used many different pillow masks since I started in 2008 and the most comfortable one I have ever found is the one I use today. The Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillows. You will find these at any of the online suppliers listed above for discounted price of $99 or less. The P10 is a minimal mask with a simple fleece head gear, minimal frame and it comes with 3-sizes of pillows. Larger is better for fit IMO. The frame venting is very quiet, and I can snuggle close to the wife without blowing air on her, or waking myself up.

I can't speak highly enough that I believe this could be a very good solution for you. Supplier #1 offers a 30 day return policy if you don't agree.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2016, 08:00 PM)bwayne Wrote:
(02-15-2016, 07:06 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:

Thank you.
I am looking for advice on the *type* of mask suitable for sleeping on the side of my face The last one left marks on my face and folks always wanted to know why.
The mask that burned was probably more than 10 years old so I dont remember the brand or where I got it. I dont know what a durable Medical Equip is, figured I would buy one on ebay or Amazon.
It Burned. Nothing left but ash. I have always cleaned it in a pan of boiling water. I put it on the stove, then went outside and found a flat tire on my Crestliner. By the time I had gotten the tire off of the rim, patched the tube and put everything back on the car. and went back in the house, it was full of stinky smoke. I feel a bit of panic, not having my machine. Since the first post I have been searching the internet and found the Dreamwear. That looks pretty good. What do you think about it?

Youtube is a great place to view video's on how to clean specific masks. I have watched many of them. Never have I seen one suggest boiling in hot water.
Soap and warm water seem to work well for me. Occasionally I use white vinegar.

My current favorite mask is the resmed mirage activa lt. It's the only nasal mask I have found that doesn't leak while I sleep on my side.

Sleeping better since 01/13/2016 Smile

Masks I have tried to date
AirFit F10-FFM, AirFit N10-Nasal, Mirage Liberty-Hybrid FFM, Mirage Quattro-FFM, Swift FX Nano-Pillow, Mirage Activa LT-Nasal, ComfortGel Blue-FFM, Amara View -FFM, Pilairo Q -Pillow
Post Reply Post Reply
nice folks here. thank you
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,928 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 252 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Help - Initial Titration Suggestions gli890 2 305 02-17-2024, 01:04 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Dreamstation 2 feels like it isn't treating my apnea (any suggestions)? Sunday3 4 288 02-05-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Decent - but we all deserve better than that! Suggestions please. CPAPveteran 9 586 12-28-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Chin Strap Suggestions Jose Castro 9 819 12-17-2023, 08:09 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Flow Rate Interpretation and PAP Mode / Pressure Settings Suggestions ABC1234 3 605 10-16-2023, 07:34 PM
Last Post: ABC1234

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.