Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

new hoseless cpap promised
RE: new hoseless cpap promised
(06-09-2015, 08:30 PM)WSHenry Wrote: Folks,

Here's the science behind the proposal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXJKdh1KZ0w

Yes, I'm a pessimist.

Wow that video was impressive.....kinda makes me feel good all over....of course I am on prescription drugs mixed with alcohol.
It's exactly like that. . . . only totally different. . . . Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I was impressed an I am not using drugs or alcohol...
[size=x-small]Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) BiLevel Auto
Post Reply Post Reply
They may want to rethink their funding campaign in light of this...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-...ckstarter/
Post Reply Post Reply
I am not sure how powerful the battery is or the life of these disposable units. I have seen that they are looking for rechargeable batteries and all of the new technology. Frankly, I just hope that they come up with an approved unit that will function at an acceptable price. Technology is perpetually changing and I expect this to become a reality in the next year or so.
Post Reply Post Reply
Alright... let's do some math..

I found a company commercially selling "Microblowers" (Also, these ones are 2cm*2cm)

20cmH2O ~= 2 KPA.

At that pressure, the blower has < 0.5L per Minute of flow. Flow rate for a CPAP is conservatively 20l/minute, or 40 pumps.

Their Tech sheet says typical consumption is 0.2W, so we're looking at least at 8W of continuous draw for 8+ hours, so 64Whrs of power needed for a night.

A zinc-air battery has a practical energy density of 470Whrs/Kg, or .47Whrs/g. To supply the power, they'd need ~140g of just battery, or about 1/4 lb.

Feasable so far, if bigger than the picture. Issue is that the battery is 1.65V and the blowers need 10V-20V. Since Whrs scale with voltage, you're now talking about needing 9x the amount of battery to power it, even if you ignore that the voltage converter will have losses, so about 2.5lb of battery just hanging off your nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
The reason it looks startrek-y is because it uses technology only available in the future.

Post Reply Post Reply
Can we please put the discussion about this POC hoax to bed?
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.