Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

new hoseless cpap promised
RE: new hoseless cpap promised
I am going to use Krelvin's word that best describes this device: "Vaporware"

That's such a perfect description ;+)
Post Reply Post Reply
Vapooware
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2015, 09:46 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: Vapooware

Uh, Yeah......that too. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Ya, my scientist brain wants to think its possible. But not feasible at any consumer-level price, and consumer-level capability. I've also had a maybe 60% success rate on my crowdfunding experience with projects, and I am very cautious of what I fund. Even ones that seem to have physical product photos and concepts can be disasters. This one is quite a stretch, especially without a physical product video demo, any sort of spec sheet and/or drawings.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like a powered Provent kind of thing with some voodoo and well-paid webmaster thrown in.

And inventions through crowdsourcing isn't anything new. I am surprised they are doing it on indigogo vs kickstarter, which is the one that most inventors use.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
These guys are following the roadmap for Solar Roadways, which might must be the biggest fraud ever. For something that will never be produced, you get to be a millionaire anyway on a promise.

Please don't give this fraud any further publicity or support.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've got my doubts, but it's not as impossible as it first seems.

Google MEMS. There's some stuff there that's space alien level technology. Many cell phones have pretty good on-chip MEMS 3 axis accelerometers and gyroscopes on small chips.

It suggests this is a device with positive displacement MEMS pumps. There's a chance there might be some way to make these things very energy efficient. I do have my doubts getting them such that they can do the necessary flow rate at the needed pressure, but I haven't done the calculations.

It should be possible to make a quick and dirty theoretical maximum power draw for compressing air at, for instance, a particular minute vent rate and flow rate.

Such a device would not have to have a passive mask vent the way a current style CPAP machine does. It could directly vent all the exhaled air, so there's no CO2 rebreathing concerns other than a small dead air space. For instance, my total leak rate is around 40 l/m, but my minute vent is around 10, so there's a 4x improvement in volume of air that needs to be pumped.

It's theoretically possible to use the air pumps to recover the energy in the exhaled air to partially power pumping the air on inhale.

Give me a miracle micro pump that does the theoretical maximum efficiency allowed by thermodynamics, and it might work.

I'm not spending any of my money on it yet, though.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Airing: Brand New Micro CPAP Product
(05-25-2015, 03:23 PM)AirSign Wrote: Looks like it would be useful for long distance air travel. Or even perhaps the occasional overnight on road trips.

If it actually worked, which looks like a physical impossibility.

Calling something a "microblower" implies that it actually blows. Oh, it "blows" alright. The people behind this could not be strung up high enough, IMO.

But the only air moving is from you breathing, so when you inhale without CPAP (and with this device) that happens by creating a NEGATIVE pressure differential between the inside of your lungs and the external atmospheric air pressure, not something providing positive pressure into your airway. Without something external creating that positive pressure, it's not CPAP, and it's never going to work like a CPAP. The microblower "blows" out loud, but not air as positive airflow into your airway.

To be called a CPAP it has to have a C and two Ps, and while its in your Airway, this has no Positive Pressure, and no Constancy. More like CRAP.

I've got a bridge you might be interested in, too. Reminds me of the Firesign Theatre claim by a car salesman of "every car comes with free factory air-conditioned air from our air-conditioned factory."

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-31-2015, 12:40 AM)TyroneShoes Wrote: ... But the only air moving is from you breathing, so when you inhale without CPAP (and with this device) that happens by creating a NEGATIVE pressure differential between the inside of your lungs and the external atmospheric air pressure, not something providing positive pressure into your airway. Without something external creating that positive pressure, it's not CPAP, and it's never going to work like a CPAP. The microblower "blows" out loud, but not air as positive airflow into your airway.

The statement below is from the article (press release) linked in the thread referred to by krelvin:

"Airing’s design includes battery powered “micro-blower” technology that blows the amount of air pressure prescribed by the patient’s physician into the airway to effectively treat OSA."

- See more at: http://www.sleepreviewmag.com/2015/05/di...uj87U.dpuf

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can someone explain what is a "micro fluidic pump"?
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.