Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

new hybrid mask--should I lower pressures?
new hybrid mask--should I lower pressures?
I have a new  Innomed  hybrid mask--so it has nasal pillows and mouth cushion.    This mask just came yesterday.   I was trying to figure it out,   and I put it on,   and I  felt as if  I could not exhale.     Do I need to decrease pressures   to even get started with this mask?      I am at  11.8 / 16.2  .     

I was getting tired so I used the mask that I've been using--  a stretched   Res Med    F 20   Air Touch  size medium.    

I will look at instructions again this evening.       If anyone has pointers for me, I would appreciate them.   I have hopes for this new mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: new hybrid mask--should I lower pressures?
I had to go look your mask up. It looks like a P10 with a mouthpiece. This seems to be the emerging design in the CPAP world.

The perception of pressure is greater with a nasal pillow mask as opposed to an FFM because of the pressure difference inside and outside the nose. With an FFM, the pressure is the same but a nasal pillow mask only increases the pressure within the nasal cavity area causing the nose to expand. Your airway and lungs still are experiencing the same pressure, but they are as sensitive as your nasal area. You might try reducing your lower EPAP setting down about 2 cm and see if it becomes acceptable. Over time, you should become acclimated to the pressure.

Please keep us posted on how you like this mask.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you want to start a new optimization evaluation, lower EPAP min to 9.0, IPAP max to 17 and keep your current pressure support of 3.6. We might learn something. You may end up very close to the old settings, but we will see.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you to both of you! I will make those changes this evening and see what I can do. Yes, I will keep you posted.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used my new hybrid mask last  night     FOR ABOUT   THREE HOURS!       Then I was up to bathroom,   kept the mask on   but  then was having leaks that I could  not seem to fix.            
THREE HOURS!     I consider that a  success!     And  my events graph for those hours  was nearly empty.   

Then I didn't increase the EPAP   back to usual level and woke up with a mild headache a few hours later,  so I increased the EPAP back up for the rest of the night and woke up without any  headache.   (Do our headaches mean that some brain cells died?)

My husband will look at the hybrid mask with me today.    I may need to shorten the pillows.   They appeared to be pushing my nostrils up ,  some.      Nasal pillows is totally new to me.    I hope to change the headgear , too.    This headgear is adjustable in five places  (including an adjustment on the top of the head)   but a size small    (for her)  Res Med headgear works better for me with my  F20, and may be easier to adjust.     

Thank you for your encouragement. Thanks

Decreasing the EPAP helped so much.
Post Reply Post Reply
Headaches that involve sleeping and apnea are most likely signs of oxygen drops, possibly below the 88% threshold. I get these frequently as my ASV therapy has crashed some time ago due to complex Apnea/COPD combo.

If you don't have one maybe get a recording oximeter like mine, the Contec CMS50F. It's a watch looking meter with wired finger probe. The recording files upload to OSCAR.

my oximeter image [attachment=29161]
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
we did get one of those oximeters.        So I was using it,   then it stopped loading onto OSCAR and I got annoyed and stopped using it.    And I didn't like the results, either.      Ranges of O2 sats  of 82-97.    (?!?)       Even   72- 98  !      Apparently, it does still work,   my husband has used it a  few nights, and loaded it to his desktop.     So maybe I should do that a couple nights, have something else to talk about  with  my sleep dr. next week.      This wonderful husband will help me,   I just don't want to wear him out.      He doesn't  have sleep apnea, so far as we know.    Of course, once I'm asleep,  I'm out, I'm not paying attention.

Yes, it  is  a  CMS 50 1.    CMS 50 I?   

Dave,  that is a good idea to monitor O2 sats again.     I can get frustrated/  discouraged very easily.     

We thought that a different oximeter might be easier/   or more reliable long-term?  /  to use.       Do other members have difficulty with this oximeter?

Please forgive my ranting.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've not heard others having negative comments on this model. You can also get this free data app for this oximeter. I've got an app on my windows laptop called Smart Device Assistant V3. Sometimes there's a firmware update that may be necessary.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, Dave.    My recent post reminds me that I have not only an easily sidetracked nature,   but also an easily frustrated nature.     So I need to work on those.    My job.   

I will pass this on to tech support when he gets home, shortly.    Thank you again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome. My NON-medical "advisement" is discuss it over a great cup of coffee. Then get a great night's sleep. lots-o-coffee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,193 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 322 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 294 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Equipment] Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks! LessSleepyHalf 3 983 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Central apnea and high pressures? esaulcatnas 20 1,729 02-16-2024, 12:22 AM
Last Post: esaulcatnas
  How can I lower my AHI? jstro84 26 2,475 01-13-2024, 12:13 PM
Last Post: jstro84
  Will lofta help me find the right pressures? Swsch2985 6 456 12-30-2023, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Swsch2985

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.