Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

new hybrid mask--should I lower pressures?
RE: new hybrid mask--should I lower pressures?
Night two with new hybrid Innomed mask.       I used it the first 3 1/2  hours, approx.     (I woke up with face feeling squeezed/ and had welts on cheeks.)      I still consider this a SUCCESS.       So, I will try loosening straps of headgear some.    

I tried to change headgear to ResMed yesterday, but the Resmed straps were not long enough.      I may be able to modify those later.    

The straps with the Innomed are awkward to adjust, due to  the end of the straps with the velcro, is  thin,   difficult to find with fingernails  of just one hand.     The velcro strip is the same  color  --black--as the headgear that it attaches to,   so does not show up very well, either,  when I try to see it in the mirror.     All of this will get easier with practice.     And I could use shorter straps.      I use small headgear with my  Res Med F 20 medium Air Touch.    (That seems to mean that I have more size  small  Res Med F 20 Air Touch cushions  than I need,  since I only needed one to try.     It seems that  I can only get replacement frame and headgear with the size cushion that they think I should   use.    ?      Maybe I could order separately just what I want, from another source.)       
The Innomed headgear has an adjustment on top of the head.    Those strap pieces are long, too.      A top-of-head adjustment  is a good feature.
I thought I had a large head, but the size small headgear works better for me.

Another of the good things about this Innomed hybrid mask   (nasal pillows/ mouth cover combination)  is that we could get it as a  "fit-pack".      Three sizes of nasal pillows and three sizes of mouth cover,  plus the headgear which they think fits everyone.   It does fit, it works.     

Thank you for letting me share my opinion on this.   I hope it will help someone else.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not trying to spend your money and help you collect a whole DME shelf of masks, but had you tried the Fisher & Paykel masks? You need full face or does nasal or pillows work? Full face, try the Vitera or Simplus is similar. But my personal usage I find the Vitera is better, more comfortable, virtually leak free. They do have nasal and pillows that are very minimal if they fit well.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a few various masks.    It is so easy to say,  no,  this does not work.    So I am trying to practice saying,   "I can try this again."
The simplus seemed to direct vented air directly to my eyes.       I tried to improvise a directional thing to send the air toward ears or something.   My eyes are already dry enough.    Did you find the air vented 
to your eyes?        I prefer not to wear swim goggles or sleep mask to bed with all my other acccessories.     (I have not tried those two options.)

I guess that when there is a forehead support, that eliminates the need for a top of the head strap?       Or--usually?

I thought maybe I could use a nasal mask a few weeks ago...but still was unable to keep mouth from opening.    I don't remember for sure--I think I had put on the SCC and Knightsbridge chin strap--  and I was getting tired,   taking off that nasal mask, changing to my usual F20.       My sweetie was coming to bed and I said,   "Well, I didn't TAPE my mouth closed."   He   laughed so hard,  nearly was rolling on the floor laughing.    I guess he hadn't heard of  mouth taping.       But now I know that I can decrease EPAP a  little while I re-try my  nasal mask.     I can see that having less contact with face could help to decrease leaks.

Do the Simplus and Vitera have less contact with bridge of nose?   (Fit lower on the nose?)    That could be an advantage.     I seem to be getting ...varicose veins??  ...on nose/next to nose?      It may mean that I have been making straps too tight,   all this time,   trying to eliminate  leaks as much as possible.     I have had this PAP machine about three years.     I  have learned the most, about the last six months.

I like your idea of having  discussions during our coffee times.     Our dog likes our  coffee breaks, too,   she knows she gets to snuggle closer while we drink our coffee.     I tell people,   "We laugh more ,   with a dog."
Post Reply Post Reply
Vitera got more use than Simplus for me, liked feel of cushion shape better and the headgear seemed more comfortable to me. The nasal bridge was my weak area for sealing with small leaks up toward eyes but mine seemed to be when I moved. I do extra adjustment bit of pulling mask away from face after strapping and while holding it out I'm pushing it down the nose a bit more then letting it settle on.

Hopefully you'd not need to resort to swimming goggles. Got this entire kit of stuff, 20 different bits to wear to sleep... probably weight you down so much you'd have issue trying to get out of bed.

If you give Simplus another try or Vitera, either one really, try adjusting strap very loose then very little tightening. try holding mask to face no straps under treatment pressure, note how light you need to hold it to have a no leak status, mimic that feel with strap. maybe lower strap very slightly more than bridge one and overhead strap allowing mask to sit lower down towards chin a bit.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, Dave, for specific coaching instructions.      I think we don't get enough instruction to begin with...and it was so overwhelming.    I was unprepared for the PRESSURE.     When someone receives oxygen, for example,   it might be by nasal canula,  or a mask, but the oxygen just comes out and the person breathes it in.   
And I had no idea that it would be so complicated.     But it is so worth it to learn more about these complicated things.    
I don't remember what my pressures were when I started, but I started out with this  res med 10 V auto, so that is a clue that I started with rather high pressures.    
Then, I had too high AHI s  so my pressures would get increased.     I am so thankful to be doing better, and pressures are decreased some.    Losing 20 pounds probably helped some, too.    

Thank you again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great that things are headed the right way. Best wishes it will continue to improve. And if you have other questions or comments feel free. We'll do our best to keep a light on and the coffee hot. Neither of which helps sleep, but such is life. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Night three with new Innomed  HYBRID mask:
I used this mask all night.    I was doing very well the first half of the night.    Score-wise and event-wise the rest of the night was less good   --  many leaks  --about 25 % since  2:45 AM.      
I consider this all night use with this mask a success.
However,   since I  see my sleep doc in four days,  I will go back  to my usual mask   for now,   and try to have some good    recent  nights  for him to see.     Thinking-about  

Happy Sunday to all of you!
Post Reply Post Reply
congrats on the victory
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,213 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 329 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 299 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Equipment] Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks! LessSleepyHalf 3 985 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Central apnea and high pressures? esaulcatnas 20 1,731 02-16-2024, 12:22 AM
Last Post: esaulcatnas
  How can I lower my AHI? jstro84 26 2,479 01-13-2024, 12:13 PM
Last Post: jstro84
  Will lofta help me find the right pressures? Swsch2985 6 458 12-30-2023, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Swsch2985

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.