Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

new lung problems
new lung problems
was struggling with nasal mask. got chin strap thought maybe i was leaking
thru mouth at night. did not help i woke like i did not have oxygen for
days

so i went to pulmonary doc. He said previously my lung capacity 8 of 10.

So he tested me yesterday. I lung capacity was now 6 of 10.

SO he gave me lung shot and treatment which really did not help
much

he also wrote a new script for machine since it seems like i am not getting
enough air.
old setting was 14 now he did 16.

he said settings are 4 to 25 for resmed machine. so i guess i go back to
rotech and they change settings

any ideas are suggestions are welcome

running out of ideas.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: new lung problems
Take a look at your results and let us know what your Sleepyhead data show for average/90% Tidal Volume, Minute Vent, and possibly insp and exp time. Also, are you using EPR on your machine? What setting?

Generally a higher pressure by itself will not significantly affect tidal volume or minute vent, however increased pressure support (or in your case EPR) can improve the ventilation rate. Normally a doctor knows that if the tidal volume is below expectations, it is pressure support that corrects that problem, and this may be a rationale for making bilevel medically necessary.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you know what a "Lung Shot" is ? I just started to use a recording oxygen thing to sleep with and its alarm is set to 88. Last night was the first time I used it. 113 alarm events in 4 hours of sleep. Any info about the shot may help, thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2016, 11:32 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Take a look at your results and let us know what your Sleepyhead data show for average/90% Tidal Volume, Minute Vent, and possibly insp and exp time. Also, are you using EPR on your machine? What setting?

Generally a higher pressure by itself will not significantly affect tidal volume or minute vent, however increased pressure support (or in your case EPR) can improve the ventilation rate. Normally a doctor knows that if the tidal volume is below expectations, it is pressure support that corrects that problem, and this may be a rationale for making bilevel medically necessary.

So where and how do i insert chip into sleeprider software to get results.

I know nothing about sleeprider.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2016, 01:49 PM)jxyzobrien Wrote: So where and how do i insert chip into sleeprider sleepyhead software to get results.

I know nothing about sleeprider sleepyhead.

You get sleepyhead here:
[url]http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./[/url]

Install it on your computer. You use a card reader to read the card and display results in sleepyhead.

You can read Robysue's guide to sleepyhead at:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2016, 01:58 PM)justMongo Wrote:
(05-07-2016, 01:49 PM)jxyzobrien Wrote: So where and how do i insert chip into sleeprider sleepyhead software to get results.

I know nothing about sleeprider sleepyhead.

You get sleepyhead here:
[url]http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./[/url]

Install it on your computer. You use a card reader to read the card and display results in sleepyhead.

You can read Robysue's guide to sleepyhead at:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Thanks to Justmongo for clarifying! Also, once you are able to see your data in Sleepyhead, it tracks important information about your respiratory volume (unless you have the S9 Escape which does not produce data), the elite and autoset models give you all the information. We can see when and how frequently, from the data, you have insufficient respiration. It also helps to see the other apnea events.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I want to be clearer. I think it would be great if you can tell us more from the CPAP data about your respiration or apnea events, however higher pressure does not produce improved ventilation. Your doctor should know this.

If he is trying to resolve obstructive events, he gave you good advise. If he wants you to exchange more air, he gave you bad advise, and should have looked at bilevel or at least the EPR feature.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jxyzobrien,
Which S9 do you have, there are quite a few machines in the S9 series.
Good luck to you in getting your problem resolved.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2016, 09:43 AM)jxyzobrien Wrote: he also wrote a new script for machine since it seems like i am not getting enough air.
old setting was 14 now he did 16.

he said settings are 4 to 25 for resmed machine. so i guess i go back to
rotech and they change settings

Most S9 VPAP (bilevel CPAP) machines allowed pressures to be set between 4-25.

You should keep a couple photocopies of your prescription, for your personal medical records.

Can you tell us the complete prescription?

Did he look at data downloaded from your machine before changing the prescription? If yes, then perhaps he changed the prescription appropriately.

If he didn't look at your machine's sleep data but only tested your lung capacity, then he appears to be deficient in his understanding of 'PAP treatment.

As Sleeprider has pointed out, on bilevel 'PAP machines it is Pressure Support (which is the amount the pressure is boosted while we are inhaling) which tends to help us breathe in more air, increasing our average "Tidal Volume" (which is the volume of air breathed in or out in one breath) and "Minute Volume" or "Minute Ventilation" (which is the volume of air breathed in or out in one minute).

Next to the on/off button the model name is written. Does it say "VPAP Auto" or perhaps "VPAP S", VPAP ST", "AutoSet" or what?

At the top of the forum pages is a link to a page with instructions on how to request by email the setup manual (Clinical Guide) for your machine. Reading the Clinical Guide will help you understand the settings, perhaps better than your doctor may understand them.

I suggest investing in a wrist-mounted recording pulse oximeter (this type has a separate finger sensor and is more comfortable to wear a whole night), to monitor your blood O2.

I think a good target for SpO2 (the Saturation percentage of Oxygen in the blood, as measured percutaneously, meaning measured through the skin) is between 94 and 96 for most people with healthy lungs.

However, many COPD patients are easily harmed by too much O2 in their blood and probably should target 88%–92%.

If anyone suspects they have a lung condition which is not normal, I suggest they should google COPD.

Moreover, I think an average SpO2 of 98 to 99 all night may be harmful, causing too much oxidation in our system. Continuous high SpO2 can reduce the effectiveness of some medicines and can cause oxidative stress, which would gradually lead to health problems.

"administer oxygen to keep saturations between 94 and 96 percent. No patient needs oxygen saturations above 97 percent and in truth, there is little to no evidence suggesting any clinical benefit of oxygen saturations above 90 percent in any patient."
http://www.ems1.com/columnists/mike-mcev...xygen-hurt

"For most COPD patients, a target saturation range of 88%–92% will avoid the risks of hypoxia and hypercapnia."
https://psnet.ahrq.gov/webmm/case/172

http://www.emsworld.com/article/10915304...uch-oxygen

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank You Vaughn for the reply with links. Education from this form is priceless.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 17 1,883 10 minutes ago
Last Post: clan
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 142 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 213 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Lung Cancer and my ResMed AirCurve 10 ApneaGirl 2 262 01-30-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: ApneaGirl
  Not new to CPAP, minus one lung Tyler NZ 4 370 01-20-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Tyler NZ
  Positional Apnea Problems ggibson 13 1,820 11-20-2023, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Jarlo
  CPAP since March 22, still dealing with aerophagia, wakings, and heart rate problems manacles 16 2,528 10-01-2023, 11:16 PM
Last Post: manacles

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.