Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

new machine ? High run hours.
new machine ? High run hours.
Given a machine to trial and was told it was new with the plan that after my trial period I would submit paperwork to keep it. After reading info on this board I checked the run hours which showed 163. So before I mention it to the supplier I want to make sure that obviously means it’s well used. I hate that you can’t trust anyone these days. I’m thinking of saying that I need a new machine when I purchase as i noted the run hours indicate that this one  is not
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: new machine ? High run hours.
Is this the original machine you started with?  If yes, then those run hours would reflect the hours you used the machine.  Approximately 20-30 hours?  Look at your reports.  How long have you been on Cpap?

If these hours were on the machine before you even used it, then yes, the machine was used prior to you receiving it.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Although the machine has about 20-23 days worth of use, this is minimal in the context of machine life. If you were told the machine is new, that may not be true.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If those hours were on the machine BEFORE you took possession, it's a used machine.

You have to decide if you can accept that or not. If it were me, even though it's not a huge amount of hours, I'd want a "real" new machine.

Some things to help decide:

1. Are you paying for this yourself?
2. Already mentioned, are you comfortable accepting it has X hours you didn't put on it?

No matter what, this is YOUR call. Accept or not, choose what you're sincerely and whole heartedly willing to accept and live with without regrets, remorse, or second guessing.

I faced a similar situation when issued my ASV machine. I don't know the hour count, but I couldn't accept a machine as new if it wasn't. FWIW.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My trial APAP lasted 3 weeks at a cost of $150. After the trial, I was given a new unit...I didn't check the run hours at the time. The trial unit was replaced in front of me.

Weren't you going to buy new from a Canadian online CPAP dealer for much cheaper?

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replies. It was 163 hours after using machine for 2 nights. I decided to purchase through a in person supplier. I wanted the benefit of being able meet with a registered Respiratory Therapist (which was great. At the sleep Drs office, the techs were less than helpful) and to have a place where they would review my data as necessary and check my machine every 6 months, have me do home testing if necessary during treatment as included in the cost of the original machine. I understand now that the places like that are going to charge more than an online store. But I’m not bothering to have my insurance pay double for a place where a tech basically hands me a machine/mask and sends me out door telling me that this is the mask I need and that I can no longer sleep on my stomach and not at all interested in answering a few basic questions lol.

I guess my point is as a healthcare professional myself I do not at all like the idea of another health care professional not telling me the truth. That’s a big no no in the way I was trained and practice. I will tell them I need a new machine. Thanks for listening. I’m a bit rambly this whole process has been difficult to get used to and I am tired.
Post Reply Post Reply
Based on my experience with several home care companies in Canada, especially with Ontario CPAP providers, I can tell you that all (or most) of them have designated "demo" units at hand. These machines are handed out for 30-day trials, and considered "as new".

Normally, at the end of their trial period, patients receive brand new machines from the stock. Again, that's my experience, YMMV. I know that any half decent home care provider (aka DME) will have several new ResMed and Respironcs (and even F&P) machines in stock at all time.

163 hours could cover one trial cycle, so chances are that you are the 2nd trial patient on that machine. I wouldn't worry much, it's probably just miscommunication. Just, at the end of your trial, let them know that you are returning their demo unit, and expecting a brand new machine to take home.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-19-2018, 04:07 PM)Lolagirl Wrote: Thanks for the replies. It was 163 hours after using machine for 2 nights. I decided to purchase through a in person supplier. I wanted the benefit of being able meet with a registered Respiratory Therapist (which was great. At the  sleep Drs office, the techs were less than helpful) and to have a place where they would review my data as necessary and check my machine every 6 months, have me do home testing if necessary during treatment  as included in the cost of the original machine.  I understand now that the places like that are going to charge more than an online store. But I’m not bothering to have my insurance pay double for a place where a tech basically hands me a machine/mask and sends me out door telling me that this is the mask I need and that I can no longer sleep on my stomach and not at all interested in answering a few basic questions lol.  

I guess my point is as a healthcare professional myself I do not at all like the idea of another health care professional not telling me the truth. That’s a big no no in the way I was trained and practice. I will tell them I need a new machine.  Thanks for listening. I’m a bit rambly this whole process has been difficult to get used to and I am tired.

At the end of the trial, here in Alberta, be expected to cough up to $2500 for an APAP, heated hose and a mask. I was very glad that there was NO deductible by my insurer.

During the trial, make sure that you try on as many masks as possible or as permitted. It took several masks for me to be somewhat comfortable. There is currently no ONE nasal mask for me....rotating several masks.

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
Papsmart and Sleepeh each have BF/CM sales on their CPAP/APAP units and masks...up to 25% off on Resmed and Respironics. Real good deals for Canadians IMO.

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
If we were to assume that a typical duration of use per night is 6 hours, the machine had about a month's worth of trial time on it, minus the two nights you used it. I agree with the others that it doesn't pass the 'new' test. Further, it is essentially unethical for them to claim that it is new and to offer to sell it at full price.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Only sleeping 3 hours a night with CPAP, almost fell asleep at wheel biboombap 9 106 6 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Airsense 10 run hours??? eok361 5 138 Yesterday, 08:13 PM
Last Post: eok361
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 301 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,503 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  [Pressure] High pressure Tomarovsch 1 113 04-12-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 138 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 183 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.