Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

new machine and mask
new machine and mask
I'm really lucky my insurance changed in 2013 and I have a new DME. It was really funny- the DME tech stayed in touch with me keeping me up to date on the process of getting the new machine. The doctor's tech would not send all the paperwork needed however. The tech at the dr's office told me when I called to ask them again to send the needed paperwork- "if that DME gives you any trouble, call me". He was the holdup not the DME.
Now I'm the proud owner of a brand new, 0 hour, not a scratch on it, ASV machine and a new quattro FX mask. Last night was the first night with the new mask. I knew how to put it on and the DME adjusted it for me- not one leak during the night. The DME was great!

I turned in my old machine 10 days ago because I was going to have to pay 60% of the $700+/month rental and with my old insurance they would never pay the machine off, I would have to keep renting forever. I used my old AUTO 25 in the interim and my AHI shout up to the upper 20's. With the ASV it's 4-8.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: new machine and mask
This is great! Please let us know how it works out for you!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi zimlich,
I'm glad you were able to get a new machine and mask. It sounds like your DME is looking out for you, GREAT to hear.
CONGRATULATIONS.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
$700 a month rental? That's highway robbery.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-30-2013, 12:48 PM)Shastzi Wrote: $700 a month rental? That's highway robbery.

Unless it's rent-to-own then it's yours in two or three months.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunately that's what this DME (and my last DME) charged my insurance each month for the ASV machine. The insurance, which was a Medicare supplemental policy) also said the machine would never be paid off. I would have to continue to rent month by month. That's against Medicare guidelines which rent for 13 months then buys. I don't remember what insurance actually paid, but my part was $109/month. Yes, highway robbery. I have private insurance now through my partners work and it will pay the machine off in 90 days the new DME said. This new one is charging theinsurance company $6,000 for a system one ASV with humidifier.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-30-2013, 11:28 AM)zimlich Wrote: Now I'm the proud owner of a brand new, 0 hour, not a scratch on it, ASV machine and a new quattro FX mask. Last night was the first night with the new mask. I knew how to put it on and the DME adjusted it for me- not one leak during the night. The DME was great!

Congratulations, Mary! That is really great!

My doctor has given me a prescription for the same model machine. I am now in the process of trying to get it preauthorized by my insurance. Any week now, hopefully.

Your profile says your Pressure is 8-20 ASV, EPAP 8, PS 12. Does this mean you are on a fixed EPAP of 8 and a fixed Pressure Support of 12? I guess that would be very consistent, which might make it easier to eliminate Leaks.

The machine can also be set with a range for EPAP and a range for PS, and the machine would adaptively adjust itself as needed within the range.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
How much do these machines cost in the shop? %700/mo sounds like an awful lot....
Post Reply Post Reply
This particular machine is $3900 at one on line supplier. I don't know how the DME charges the insurance company so much.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, Zimlich, I would call it a complete lack of scruples.
Multiply the charge by 50-100 customers per year.

I am not against folks making a profit but I am against blatent rip offs.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected kc90 7 285 02-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Woke up feeling air starved, turned machine off fell back to sleep but with mask on Phil487 7 864 01-20-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Phil487
  [CPAP] Significant noise from mask since change of CPAP machine! SwissTruffle 7 702 01-03-2024, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] I cannot keep my mask on, and I'm thinking of returning the machine. blakeh36 1 372 11-12-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,143 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  How do I reduce machine noise with the P30i mask? TiredTom111 3 778 08-07-2023, 06:00 AM
Last Post: Sleepy Quixote
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.