Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

new machine/phlegm in throat/FFMs
new machine/phlegm in throat/FFMs
I have a Respironics "brick" as someone here termed it.  Using a Tap Pap nasal pillow mask and taping my mouth, I had actually gotten pretty comfortable using it all night and felt pretty good in mornings.  But I was determined to get an auto machine so purchased a ResMed Autosense 10 for Her ($883 OOP!).  I can't seem to get things figured out w this machine.  For several nights I used it w the Tap Pap, but would take it off (the ResMed) and put the Respironics back on in the night.... (should have made notes those mornings...).  Then I saw the dentist who says the Tap Pap is going to make my dicey bite and teeth issues much worse, so I went back to a Brevida I had tried.  No dice.  I felt so awful I went back to the Tap Pap, but last night took it off after 4 hrs bc of so much phlegm in throat.  I feel like holy ________ today.  Realize I felt like this for literally years. So hard to figure out what to do while exhausted.  

Those of you who use FFMs - are your mouths open w mask on? 

I did start ResMed scan and sleepyhead.  Both look bad as far as I can tell, but seriously - too complicated to figure out....TIA!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: new machine/phlegm in throat/FFMs
I used to feel (past tense) that every CPAP user should have a FFM (Full Face Mask) for use when sick and clogged up.  I seemed logical.  Now I believe that unless you are an incorrigible mouthbreather the nasal/pillow mask will just power thru the crap and be better than a FFM.

BUT some find a FFM is just better for them and use them exclusively.  Remember the BEST mask is the one that works for you.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
My question is whether the mouth is open w a FFM.  Air in mouth/on teeth all night like that is terrible for teeth.. I already have issues going on... this is just f-------- overwhelming...
Post Reply Post Reply
No, you would want your mouth closed. Air that's escaping out your mouth isn't helping control events.
Paula

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."
Post Reply Post Reply
The phlegm may be from too much humidity. Make it manual instead of auto and decrease it by a digit until the situation corrects itself. Also, play with the hose temperature. Maybe it’s too warm for you. I developed a death rattle and lost my voice before I figured this out.

The mask might not be a factor in this situation. Humidity adjustments are needed to get it right no matter the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is the mouth open with a FFM? Yeah it can be. Some people use a chin strap or soft cervical collar to keep the jaw from dropping open with a FFM.

The problem with a FFM and the jaw opening isn't mouth breathing. It's the mask breaking the seal at the bottom.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 80 Yesterday, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,096 Yesterday, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 474 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Weird neck/throat movements. Is there a term for this? Rebdr 1 325 10-19-2023, 05:39 AM
Last Post: Rebdr
Video Throat vibration -- is this usual? Clarke40 0 505 09-10-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Clarke40
Question [CPAP] Sudden Increase in AHI w/inflamed tonsils and/or strep throat jazoon 0 597 08-06-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: jazoon
  Hoarseness and throat pain/dryness with CPAP kettle101 6 953 09-15-2022, 08:08 PM
Last Post: kettle101

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.