Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

new product---has anyone else purchased a "Healthy Hose"
new product---has anyone else purchased a "Healthy Hose"
i purchased a "healthy hose" which is supposed to resist bad things growing inside it
blue in color

anyway it was a little stiff to start with but it is quite flexible now after a month 
and it makes very little noise when it bends

Has anyone else purchased one?  What do you think about the anti-microbial feature?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: new product---has anyone else purchased a "Healthy Hose"
If you don't get condensation in the hose, you don't need the microbial feature.
Post Reply Post Reply
Virtually all hoses' inner surface are "Healthy".

Pathogens, naturally don't thrive on non-organic surfaces, without a food source or surface type that allows food surfaces to accumulate.

Take a look at most shower stalls. Mold and mildew do not form on silicone caulk or tiles. They accumulate on the grout or cracks between surfaces (though may spread out onto non-pathogenic surfaces).
Post Reply Post Reply
I am somewhat surprised that there has apparently not been a lot more interest in the “Healthy Hose”.   Cleaning the hose has always been, for me, an unsuccessful endeavor compared to the mask, tank and filters.  To start with, I was water sloshing as per mfr’s recommendations. That got stale very quickly.  Then every other day, then every other week, then sporadic etc.   I noticed after 6 months a white filament in the inside groves (probably from the minerals deposited when the tap water used in the cleaning process dried out)  soap---vinegar--smell---further washing--lemon juice--more smell---distilled water washing.  I used to try to get the water out after washing by going outside and swinging the tube around over my head. Well it goes on from there: cleaning bristle brush, silicone brush, cotton pad brush, part baby wipe (got stuck), considered UVC Lumin bullet, considered no clean O3 etc.  Nothing seemed to be very satisfactory--least of all having to hang the hose in the shower.  Quite frankly, I ended up not cleaning the hose at all.

Along came the “heathy hose” and I jumped on it.  Then I just forgot about cleaning it for 3 months!  And finally did a “sloshing” clean and blow dry.  But I got to thinking:  what makes it anti-bacterial?  Is it some sort of silver product like in the shoe insoles?  Am I breathing in anything “not so good”?  The mfr/distributor will not answer with any Tech Support ---at least not to me.  The hose is not really super expensive; if it helps at all, it could be a good idea.

Besides the obvious sloshing method, does anyone fell they have an  effective way of cleaning the hose?
Post Reply Post Reply
Does the manufacturer recommend a limit on how long the hose should be used before replacement? I use a 'standard' hose which is relatively cheap ($7) and just replace it every 3 months. If I remember, I'll give it a rinse every week or so. Yes there are a lot of crevices inside the tubing but I've never noticed anything foul.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just mix up a mixture of 50/50 distilled water and white vinegar. Fill the hose with it and let it sit for a 1/2 hour. Bingo!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hmmm my tech in Resmed Office said to not wash hose at all. Clean hummidifier, mask but not hose. I clean mine once per month with soap and watter. Exchange 2 times per year. Don't see any bildup.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can’t imagine any reason not to wash hose, I only do it every 2 or 3 months or so. It’s not like it’s going to destroy it. After all it’s just a plastic hose.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the same ritual as Nightynite. Distilled white vinegar and water.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your thoughts.  When you clean ---do you uses the sloshing method   Put the tube in the soap and water    or vinegar and water in a tub and just slosh the hose around?

Plastic and silicone usually picks up the smells of other products they are in contact with.  Do you not smell the vinegar after doing the clean or slosh?  Soap might be ok for smell  but I cant see it taking away any mineral type substance or other build-up by just sloshing the hose around in the water mixture.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Hose volume Willw 4 236 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 230 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 582 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,289 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 543 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] Airsense 11 Heated Hose MJLeveille 3 641 12-12-2023, 05:18 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Top Hose vs. Bottom Hose Jose Castro 19 1,559 11-03-2023, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Jose Castro

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.