Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

BiPaP vs. Auto-BiPaP vs. CPAP vs. Auto--CPAP
BiPaP vs. Auto-BiPaP vs. CPAP vs. Auto--CPAP
Are there scientific publications (comparison studies), which compare efficacy and tolerability of the three above mentioned ventilation systems???

Thanks a lot in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: BiPaP vs. Auto-BiPaP vs. CPAP vs. Auto--CPAP
Not sure about scientific publications, but auto is definitely better than non-auto. My pressures on auto were lower than those used in my sleep study and a lot more tolerable. I went from Auto-BiPap to Auto CPAP. With exhale relief, the Auto CPAPs mimic a BiPap if your IPAP and EPAP are within 3.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is an interesting article (not paper) in Sleep Review magazine http://www.sleepreviewmag.com/2014/06/7-...-debunked/

Ip et al (2012) undertook a meta-analysis of other published papers and found a (very) slight advantage for APAP. Their paper includes a LOT of references and can be found here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3351715/
Post Reply Post Reply
I am also a member at MyApnea.org and asked one of the mentors the same question. He is a therapist at Brigham Young who also has sleep apnea. He uses the auto setting himself as it adjusts the pressures as needed, making sleep more comfortable for him.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] CPAP works, but at the same time doesn't AUniqueUsername 6 75 2 minutes ago
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Can you regain CPAP coverage after failing compliance the first time? dharma2255 3 62 20 minutes ago
Last Post: eok361
  [Pressure] TiredButNotCranky's CPAP journey TiredButNotCranky 4 112 2 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  New to BiPAP, hoping for titration assistance? (Probable UARS) Easing5319 15 1,103 5 hours ago
Last Post: jkossis
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 52 1,354 8 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Which CPAP Wipes Effectively Eliminate Bacteria and Germs? dharma2255 4 155 9 hours ago
Last Post: dharma2255
  should I raise my CPAP pressure if 3AM spo2 is loow RichardW 13 303 Yesterday, 08:58 PM
Last Post: RichardW

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.