Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

new to CPAP
RE: new to CPAP
Getting some sleep is important and step in the right direction .... well done

I don't use EPR, find it interfere with breathing pattern, some said can cause central events, and godsend for others.
One cannot generalize, everyone is different, matter of trial and error

As for " I'm not convinced if APAP is the right approach"
Your machine can do 3 modes including CPAP mode, CPAP machine can only do one mode
When on AutoSet or AutoSet for Her mode, the machine increase pressure in response to flow limitation, if one is susceptible to flow limitation like me, pressure can go up as far as allowed to go. For me is all about compromise, only allow the machine to go as far apnea been treated at the lowest possible pressure, hence lowering the maximum set pressure ... YMMV

Edit: IMO, AHI is not the best indicator, because the machine have no way of telling whether you're asleep or awake when scoring apnea
If you lay in bed for some time and not falling asleep, the machine can score apnea while you're awake
Awake events are meaningless and can skew the results
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sleeeppp,

Welcome to the forum!

Heads up to you that the sleepyhead screenshot you posted includes some personal data. (Some people have posted sleepyhead screen shots inadvertently including their full name address birthday etc. Whatever you enter into sleepyhead shows up in its reports.)

That's not a problem for the forum. But if you are concerned about posting personal data, you might want to go remove or update the attachment.

Attachments uploaded the way you posted this one won't show up in google since forum attachments are stored in a members only repository, but be aware that you are still sharing with all your new closest hosehead friends.

More importantly ... glad to hear you are making great progress, keep taking charge of your therapy and feel better.

Saldus Miegas
Post Reply Post Reply
Being new, I'm not sure if Sleeeppp can do edit her post, if wanted can get in touch with admin
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Saldus Miegas just remove it...
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi folks.
been using the 10 for 4 weeks now and was wondering if anyone experiences a feeling of being bloated.
I'm sure I have a 10 litre swim bladder inside me like a fish. And the feeling is permanent.
am I swallowing air?
Dont-know
also , the full face mask is pretty awkward with a cold,
any dribble(yuk) slides across your face when you roll over
Too-funny Laugh-a-lot
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day Ssteevvee, welcome to Apnea Board

It sounds like you have aerophagia, which is basically just swallowing air under pressure. It's a pretty common complaint, though I've been lucky enough to avoid it. There are quite a few discussions about it in this forum - do a search for aerophagia. One suggestion I have seen is to elevate the head of your bed, which helps prevent you swallowing the excess air.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-27-2015, 06:43 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: G'day Ssteevvee, welcome to Apnea Board

It sounds like you have aerophagia, which is basically just swallowing air under pressure. It's a pretty common complaint, though I've been lucky enough to avoid it. There are quite a few discussions about it in this forum - do a search for aerophagia. One suggestion I have seen is to elevate the head of your bed, which helps prevent you swallowing the excess air.

thanks Paul. the Mrs wont let me play with the bed angle...
I notice my max pressure (14) is higher than most. Im very fit, 6 '3'' 85 kg fitness freak 48yo workaholic, but a 20 yr veteran of a prosthetic mitral valve. might have to get back to HSS Kinros for another appraisal I could drop it to 10 and see, but hey, I do want to wake up tomorrow Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
It would be a good idea to see what pressures you're actually experiencing. The best way to do this is to download and use SleepyHead (link at the top of this page). It will give you very detailed charts of pressure, flow, snoring, apnea events etc etc. your pressure range is quite wide and you might benefit from tightening it up a bit - the Sleepyhead charts will help in understanding exactly what's happening there.

Another option is to use the built-in screen in your machine and see what your max and min actual pressures are. I'm not sure how to do this with your machine, but somebody else will be able to give you a hand. You could also get hold of the clinician's manual - again, there's a link at the top of the page.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.