Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

new to CPAP
new to CPAP
hello all,

just wanted to post saying hi to everyone. i am 25 years old and on 11/21 got diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea. I thought my study went pretty well boy i was wrong. I ended up with a RDI averaging 33 per hour and 47 periodic limb movements. I also found out that i was only sleeping efficiently 73% of the time from lights out to lights on. Well the sleep center prescribed me a respironics with smart card and encore c-flex of 3 and a cpap pressure of 12cmH2O and a large resmed quattro FX full face mask. here comes the main reason behind this post my sleep apnea is so bad that i am passing out at work and at home injuring myself, because of this passing out i am no longer able to work and therefore have no income or health insurance. With no insurance and no income i can not afford the machine that i need to fix my problem. I was wondering if there was any programs that anyone knows about that i can get the machine for free or at a greatly reduced cost. at a CPAP site online i can get the machine and mask for $555 but i am looking for something cheaper cause i just cant afford that.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: new to CPAP
Supplier #2 sell used and new machine at discount prices
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

you want data capable machine that uses SD card Not smart card
Phillips Respironcis System One machines Auto 550 and Pro 450 (Not Plus model) cheaper than Resmed machines
and supported by SleepyHead software

American Sleep Apnea Association (ASAA) CPAP assisted program worth checking
http://www.sleepapnea.org/resources/cpap...ogram.html
Post Reply Post Reply
i say smart card cause that is what the sleep center wrote. the machine that i found was on Supplier #1 on that list you linked and i am thinking i am going to go with them just got to get my parents to help or hope for so income to come in over the next couple weeks
Post Reply Post Reply
It's really critical to get the right CPAP machine. You need one that's fully data capable, because that way, the machine records your breathing every night. Without a good CPAP machine, you'll never know if the therapy is working or not. The pressure that worked one night in the sleep lab may not be what you need the next night sleeping at home.

The cost difference between a good CPAP and a bad one is very small compared to the extra medical bills you'll have over time if you get the bad one. The right one gives you sort of a mini sleep test every night. It will help you make your therapy work better, help you solve any problems, will tell you if it's working, and may avoid having to get another sleep test later.

Check the link in my signature line to figure out what the correct machines to buy are.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you need to get a physical. Though it may be true in your case, I have never heard of CPAP causing people to pass out during the day. I know you don't have insurance, but this may be a neurological matter or something very serious. For instance you could have low blood sugar. Do you eat regularly with a snack mid morning and after lunch? Are you getting so sleepy you fall asleep on your feet and fall down? That sounds like narcolepsy and requires different treatment in the form of CNS stimulants. I am not a doctor, but I say these things just to show you there are a host of other problems that could cause your symptoms. Acid1987, please go to a free clinic or ER next time you pass out- call 911. This is serious. I could happen when you're driving or doing another hazardous task.
Good luck, keep us posted.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi acid1987,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I echo what everyone has said so far.
I hope you can find a way to start getting your problems straightened out, best of luck to you and keep us posted.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-03-2012, 09:27 AM)zimlich Wrote: I have never heard of CPAP causing people to pass out during the day.

He's not doing CPAP yet, he's looking for a machine.

Apneacs often fall asleep during the day. If his "passing out" is "falling asleep," that's not too unusual for an apneac. If it's more like "fainting", that's different.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-03-2012, 10:03 AM)archangle Wrote: If it's more like "fainting", that's different.

If he fainted, it was probably because of the shock at how expensive the sleep study & CPAP machine were, given the fact that he has to pay out-of-pocket with no insurance. That's common amongst us folk with no insurance. BigwinkToo-funny

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
If you live in the US, you may qualify for Medicaid, even temporarily.

And I agree that you need to determine if you are "falling asleep" or "fainting". These are two different issues.

You said you have an RDI (respiratory disturbance index) of 33. RDI is not the same as AHI (apnea hypopnea index). 33 is not enough arousals to warrant you "falling asleep" so quickly you are injuring yourself. Falling asleep that fast is usually a symptom of narcolepsy.

I strongly urge you to discuss this with your doctor if you have not already.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with the above posts. You should really look into another diagnosis as it sounds like you may have other issues that could endanger you and possibly others, especially if you drive. I would suggest an Emergency Room visit explaining that you are passing out and sustaining injuries from it. You can't be denied care and passing out or fainting is an emergency situation. If your Mom & Dad are willing to help with a machine I believe I would first start with an appointment that best fits your situation. Can you give any idea of length of time you are "out"? Are you currently on any medications? If so, I'm not asking you to share them but check the side affects so at least you can confirm or deny if they are part of the problem. Also the above suggestion about the right machine is very important as if it is data capable you can monitor your progress or lack of it should you need adjustments. Welcome to the Board, lots of good information here!
Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.