Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

new to cpap - p10 leaks and pillow fit
new to cpap - p10 leaks and pillow fit
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea several years ago, but only recently decided to follow up and get a CPAP. I've been using it for about a week and a half. It's gone fairly well so far, and a couple nights after starting (early last week) it was comfortable enough that I pulled the pillows out a little just to make sure they were blowing - everything felt comfortable and very normal

Towards the end of the week and weekend, however, I started finding it hard to get the pillows adjusted. There were lots of leaks, and it took a lot of fiddling to get the pillows to seal - and a small bump brought the leaks back. The leaking might not have been major, but it was enough to feel on my face, which was uncomfortable.

Last night I decided to try the second set of pillow cushions given to me by the DME (I washed the first and they were drying), and they were much more comfortable. They stayed in place all night, and I had minimal leaks (min/med/95%/max are 0.00 0.00 7.20 27.60).

Does anyone have any suggestions? Do I need a different size of cushions? I'm currently using a small, and the DME was rather unhelpful when I called about getting some other sizes to try. I've ordered some replacement pillows in different sizes from an online supplier, but I'm not sure when they'll get here.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: new to cpap - p10 leaks and pillow fit
Hi chrysogognus,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You should get 3 different sizes of pillows, small, medium and large, with your mask.
Hang in there for more answers to your question and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks - the spare mask I ordered will have a S, M, and L, but the one from the DME just came with two smalls. Maybe I need to complain to them about that...
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day chrysogognus, welcome to Apnea Board.

The general consensus seems to be to find which size pillow you're most comfortable with, then go one larger.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2015, 10:37 PM)chrysogognus Wrote: Thanks - the spare mask I ordered will have a S, M, and L, but the one from the DME just came with two smalls. Maybe I need to complain to them about that...

The DME should have given you a mask in sealed manufacturer packaging which has the headgear, tube assembly and 3 nasal pillows of 3 different sizes (S, M, L for regular model AND XS, S, M for her model).

FWIW, I recently bought a complete sealed P10 from Amazon for $60 including shipping and a couple of P10 Large replacement pillows at Amazon for $10 each including shipping.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2015, 10:37 PM)chrysogognus Wrote: Thanks - the spare mask I ordered will have a S, M, and L, but the one from the DME just came with two smalls. Maybe I need to complain to them about that...

Hi chrysogognus,
The mask from the DME should have come with small, med, and large. Call and talk to someone in charge and complain. They must have removed the other sizes.
When I started, the DME told me to use Extra Small, I tried it for almost 2 weeks with a lot of leaks and discomfort. Then I tried the size small...works much better.
Sleep-well
OpalRose

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The DME's will often remove the pillows they decide you won't need so they can provide them to other patients. The most highly demanded pillow is the medium, so if they think you are a small, then they likely were all giddy about getting to have a spare medium for someone else.

The problem is many of us need a size that is larger than what the DME thinks.

So yes, call them and tell them you'd really like to have the pillows that came with the mask from Resmed, or would they prefer you go direct to Resmed to ask them why you don't have them.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi chrysogognus,
Yes, you should call them and tell them that you want all the pillows that come with your mask.
Good luck to you in getting that straightened out.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone.

I ordered a replacement P10 mask as backup, and the medium pillow is more comfortable (I'll might even experiment with the large, although it didn't feel quite as comfortable). I decided trying to get the correct set from the DME wasn't a battle I was willing to fight, although I will ask for the mediums with my replacement supplies.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Chry,
My DME did this two. And at first I was annoyed but on the other hand, I got two of the size I use, so in my case it worked out okay. I think they should leave well enough alone for the next patients, so we can experiment. But had I gotten a SML and ended up using S, getting two that both fit is a perk. This is not uncommon.

The Manse Hen
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 290 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 159 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 245 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 143 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 162 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 109 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,876 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.