Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

new to cpap - p10 leaks and pillow fit
RE: new to cpap - p10 leaks and pillow fit
The other thing is that you can't REALLY tell about pillow size without using it (most of the time.)

I have used all 3 standard sizes successfully (S M L), and at time thought each of them were the best.

You (or your insurance) paid for a full mask KIT, which includes 3 pillows. They ripped you off. Not likely to be a mistake either, since it is a common practice among a significant number of DMEs.

Don't be afraid to try LARGER or SMALLER. Smaller fits more deeply but may not inflate enought to seal.

Larger makes a bigger 'plug' but may fold or just not fit deeply enough.

A P10 should offer NO noticeable leak, neither by FEEL nor by SOUND.

The only air escaping should be the 'ooze' out the front exhaust vents.

Do not be insulted if I mention that many people have turned the thing around backwards. The pillows should "v" in the same direction as you nose slants -- facing forward: /\

Seriously, it is POSSIBLE to wear the thing backwards without terrible leaks Smile and without noticing for a while.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2015, 04:36 PM)herbm Wrote: Seriously, it is POSSIBLE to wear the thing backwards without terrible leaks Smile and without noticing for a while.

I HAVE worn the nasal pillows upside down - I laughed at myself when I figured it out.
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
Greetings chrysogognus;

I noticed you mentioned washing the mask you didn't like when you switched over to a new mask.

Hopefully the DME gave you a cleaning schedule and instructions on how to wash/clean the equipment. I try to wash my nasal pillows in the morning and wash my face each night; but if I forget I try to at least wipe down the nasal pillows and my face with a cleaning wipe, usually an unscented baby wipe.

I have found that if I completely forget to clean both mask and face off that leaks occur and my nasal passages get irritated and tender. The best thing for sore nasal passages, for me anyway, is a beeswax product - the lip balm is great.
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2015, 04:36 PM)herbm Wrote: The other thing is that you can't REALLY tell about pillow size without using it (most of the time.)

I have used all 3 standard sizes successfully (S M L), and at time thought each of them were the best.

You (or your insurance) paid for a full mask KIT, which includes 3 pillows. They ripped you off. Not likely to be a mistake either, since it is a common practice among a significant number of DMEs.

Don't be afraid to try LARGER or SMALLER. Smaller fits more deeply but may not inflate enought to seal.

Larger makes a bigger 'plug' but may fold or just not fit deeply enough.

A P10 should offer NO noticeable leak, neither by FEEL nor by SOUND.

The only air escaping should be the 'ooze' out the front exhaust vents.

Do not be insulted if I mention that many people have turned the thing around backwards. The pillows should "v" in the same direction as you nose slants -- facing forward: /\

Seriously, it is POSSIBLE to wear the thing backwards without terrible leaks Smile and without noticing for a while.

Lol...I also have tried wearing the thing backwards until I 'finally' figured out that what I was doing - was not working very well.

My DME also cheated me when it came to delivering all 3 sizes of pillows with the mask.

HerbM - How did you determine the correct pillow size after you tried all 3 sizes? Most times I wear a medium, but sometimes the large is more comfortable. This confuses me and the DME is absolutely no help at all when I have a question.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2015, 05:08 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: HerbM - How did you determine the correct pillow size after you tried all 3 sizes? Most times I wear a medium, but sometimes the large is more comfortable. This confuses me and the DME is absolutely no help at all when I have a question.

It depends on which head he's wearing at the time.

For me, it comes down to leakage and air power. Last time I tried the medium I felt like I was fighting to get enough air. Probably not, but that was the deal breaker that sent me back to a size large.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2015, 04:56 PM)Evpraxia Wrote: Greetings chrysogognus;

I noticed you mentioned washing the mask you didn't like when you switched over to a new mask.

Hopefully the DME gave you a cleaning schedule and instructions on how to wash/clean the equipment. I try to wash my nasal pillows in the morning and wash my face each night; but if I forget I try to at least wipe down the nasal pillows and my face with a cleaning wipe, usually an unscented baby wipe.

I have found that if I completely forget to clean both mask and face off that leaks occur and my nasal passages get irritated and tender. The best thing for sore nasal passages, for me anyway, is a beeswax product - the lip balm is great.

Thanks - I haven't been washing the pillows quite as much as I should. I was better about it at first, but the pillows didn't dry completely one time and that made it a little unpleasant. I have some extra medium pillows now, so I'll try washing them daily, but also switching every day.

I'll try washing my face (or at least my nose and mouth) just before bed - I should have thought of that. I've been getting a bit of irritation around my nose, so maybe that will help.
(03-07-2015, 04:51 PM)Evpraxia Wrote:
(03-07-2015, 04:36 PM)herbm Wrote: Seriously, it is POSSIBLE to wear the thing backwards without terrible leaks Smile and without noticing for a while.

I HAVE worn the nasal pillows upside down - I laughed at myself when I figured it out.

I've been wearing them with "text side down" if that makes sense. I hope that's the right way Smile. I'll have to try it on the other way tonight just to make sure.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2015, 06:03 PM)chrysogognus Wrote: I've been wearing them with "text side down" if that makes sense. I hope that's the right way Smile. I'll have to try it on the other way tonight just to make sure.

That's the right way. Herb can wear them "text side up" because his wife makes him sleep upside down on a hanger in the closet.
Post Reply Post Reply
GrammaBear,

>How to choose pillows?

Comfort, leaks, fit, AHI, ability to breath (small masks are hard to breath through sometimes).

That's part of the reason you get different answers at different times.

For example:
Big fluffy large was very comfortable but dislodged more easily. Gave a higher AHI.

Small was best actual fit, but hard to draw through and more likely to cause significant irritation -- until I became really good at keeping the pillows from moving ALL NIGHT.

Sometimes, I switched just because different pillows can relieve irritation caused by a different size.

FWIW: The best part of using the 'slant' to find the right pillow orientation (instead of the raised writing) is that it is much easier to do in the drak, by feel.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 284 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 157 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 140 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 161 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 108 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,865 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.