Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

new to cpap - waking up and central apneas
RE: new to cpap - waking up and central apneas
(02-12-2022, 06:13 PM)staceyburke Wrote: I don’t think your centrals are the problem - it looks like your flow limits are to high. Flow limits are apnea also and it is treated using Epr (exhale relief pressure). To use EPR need to raise the min to 7 and EPR on full time. EPR seT at 3. 

This could raise the centrals and we could need to back of EPR   We won’t know till you try the settings.

Hi,
agree upon, FL all night long as likely the main culprit......at least FL, to beggining with, would have to brought down to zero (p95), ( maximum < 0,1). Later on, what remains would be seen. However, it would be very  unlikely OP would succeed with only EPR (in 4 years, I am afraid I have seen one or two cases in this Forum person succeed on controlling FL with EPR (pressure support) < 4.0.

all the best and luck

Post Reply Post Reply
>>>in 4 years, I am afraid I have seen one or two cases in this Forum person succeed on controlling FL with EPR (pressure support) < 4.0.

Please add me in to your count . On the two occasions in the past year when I set EPR off, my Flow Limitations were 0.17 and 0.21. With EPR = 3, my FL is usually 0.04 or 0.05. Not perfect, but well controlled, to the point where my doctor saw no need for a bipap sleep test.
Chasing zeros has to be balanced against the cost involved.

ETA - Those are my 95th percentile values; the median is always zero (therefore useless).
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Count me as a plus 1 for EPR, by reducing my Flow Limits to a livable range. I attribute the EPR option for providing a positive therapy.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the responses.  

So, I will keep trying the machine with an EPR of 1-3 setting to see if FLs will drop down.

If that doesn't help (or if it increases my arousals), then should I do a split night sleep study with titration?  The doctor recommended doing that.  After the split night study, does it then put me on a bipap or some other machine at a set cpap pressure all night?

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
A "split-night" titration typically refers to a study divided into a diagnostic portion to qualify you for insurance coverage (or not), followed by a titration using CPAP. In your case it may be a split titration between CPAP and bilevel or preferably ASV if centrals are present. You should clarify with your doctor his plan for the study. If it does not include ASV or at least bilevel with a backup rate, it is not going to resolve the centrals.

I don't think you have exhausted the potential for self-titration on CPAP yet. Your periods with central apnea appear to also be associated with flow limitation. We could look closer at events, but I strongly suspect your mild therapy onset centrals are actually arousals caused by the flow limitation, and it will be improved by using the EPR that many have recommended above.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi chavill02

I agree with all the comments above.

I can see on your charts your starting minimum pressures are well below your achieved Median and 95 centile pressures.
Is there a reason your pressures are so low?

For my own part I have less FL when I increase my minimum starting pressures.
And I have less CA when I increase my minimum starting pressures.
Just like you, I use a nasal pillow mask.

Dormeo has mentioned (post #7 and elsewhere in the forum if I remember correctly) that she thinks EPR does not work as well at reducing FL due to Flow Limitations. nasal congestion.

Have you tried increasing the Minimum pressures to above 6.0 yet?

As CorruptAlligator indicated in post #10 the pressures are more stable on fixed CPAP for them and this causes less arousals.

If you can stabilise your FL a bit more with higher Min Pressure (with whatever level of EPR is best for you) then you just might have less pressure excursions and less arousals.

Something else to try for a week or so?
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to clarify, here’s the point I was making:

“Yes, nasal congestion could contribute to FLs. But I think FLs due to nasal congestion don't really respond to EPR. Your good response suggests that your FLs are at least in part due to relaxation of tissues lining your pharynx.”

There may have been a typo in SA’s post above.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dormeo, thanks for pointing that out, duly corrected!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2022, 11:29 PM)SevereApnea Wrote: Hi chavill02

I agree with all the comments above.

I can see on your charts your starting minimum pressures are well below your achieved Median and 95 centile pressures.
Is there a reason your pressures are so low?

For my own part I have less FL when I increase my minimum starting pressures.
And I have less CA when I increase my minimum starting pressures.
Just like you, I use a nasal pillow mask.

Dormeo has mentioned (post #7 and elsewhere in the forum if I remember correctly) that she thinks EPR does not work as well at reducing FL due to Flow Limitations. nasal congestion.

Have you tried increasing the Minimum pressures to above 6.0 yet?

As CorruptAlligator indicated in post #10 the pressures are more stable on fixed CPAP for them and this causes less arousals.

If you can stabilise your FL a bit more with higher Min Pressure (with whatever level of EPR is best for you) then you just might have less pressure excursions and less arousals.

Something else to try for a week or so?

I could try increasing my min pressure, or using the same min/max pressure to see how it helps.  I've just kept it at 5 min pressure since that's what the prescription shows.  

With using EPR, do I need to increase the min or max pressures to offset EPR?  How does that work?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2022, 11:53 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: A "split-night" titration typically refers to a study divided into a diagnostic portion to qualify you for insurance coverage (or not), followed by a titration using CPAP.   In your case it may be a split titration between CPAP and bilevel or preferably ASV if centrals are present.  You should clarify with your doctor his plan for the study.  If it does not include ASV or at least bilevel with a backup rate, it is not going to resolve the centrals.

I don't think you have exhausted the potential for self-titration on CPAP  yet.  Your periods with central apnea appear to also be associated with flow limitation. We could look closer at events, but I strongly suspect your mild therapy onset centrals are actually arousals caused by the flow limitation, and it will be improved by using the EPR that many have recommended above.

I'll find out more about the split-night titration from my doc.  

When you say "exhausted the potential for self-titration on CPAP", do you mean trying to figure out the best pressure on my current machine myself (before doing the split-night study)?

Also, someone had mentioned that my central apneas appear shortly after an arousal (based on my flow rate chart showing my breathing changing right before the central apnea), and that there isn't a big issue with those.  Does that mean the central apneas aren't "bad"?  The OSCAR data shows some of the central apneas as 10 seconds, while quite a few are still 20-25 seconds long.  That still seems bad to be holding my breath for that long.  

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 187 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 12 2,671 04-13-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Cannabis treating central apneas? ashwa 17 2,571 04-12-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: stevew168
Gross Waking up anxious Gailofiowa 3 108 04-09-2024, 08:10 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 214 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 124 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 34 1,072 04-03-2024, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.