Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

new to this, have questions
new to this, have questions
I just received my sleep study results yesterday:
apnea:5
obstructive:1
Central:3
Mixed:1
hypopnea:143
total:148
A/H:19.4
Average saturation:91.7
saturation events:139
snore time:3.7
snore episodes:17
Periods of prolonged desaturation, lowest 79%

Conclusion:moderate positional obstructive sleep apnea

Questions:
with only 1 obstructive event and 3 central, why do I have obstructive sleep apnea?

I have been tested a couple of times over the years for pulmonary hypertension with no definitive diagnosis but have a low diffusion capacity(69%). I am not followed by a respirologist for this. Could this "play" in to it? I am 40 lbs overweight, female and 52 years old. If it is 100 % because of my weight, I get it but if not, should I be asking for a consult to a respirologist?
the only good thing is maybe I will be able to get some sleep! I had this done two years ago and it was perfectly normal! and my weight has not changed. Thanks for any guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: new to this, have questions
Hi Lolewis, welcome to the forum.

Although you apnea numbers are very low, you have a high rate of hypopneas. Think of these as partial obstructions or "apneas which didn't grow up". Even though they are not a full stoppage, hypopneas still restrict your breathing and are counted in the AHI (apnea hypopnea index) which is a measure of the severity of your condition.

Hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2015, 06:56 AM)lolewis Wrote: Questions:
with only 1 obstructive event and 3 central, why do I have obstructive sleep apnea?
The answer is in the sleep study report
hypopnea:143
Periods of prolonged desaturation, lowest 79%

The treatment of hypopna is the same as obstructive apnea
AHI is called Apnea Hypopnea Index

Sleeping on your side and avoid sleeping on your back helps with positional apnea

Hypopnea http://www.resmed.com/content/dam/resmed...er_eng.pdf
A hypopnea is an episode of shallow breathing during sleep. A hypopnea is scored when there is a reduction in breathing by 50% of baseline breathing with partial upper airway obstruction for 10 seconds or more. The event is scored after 10 seconds of the hypopnea.

You'll need CPAP, here is a guide take through machines choices
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_choices
Post Reply Post Reply
Understanding Sleep Disordered Breathing
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...hing_(SDB)

Welcome to the forum, lolewis
Post Reply Post Reply
Do a search for UARS (upper airway resistance syndrome). While you have moderate positional apnea, it appears you may have a greater need for CPAP due to UARS. We certainly can't diagnose here, but it might be worth discussing with your doctor. If you had Polysomnography with esophogeal probe, then it would have shown up on the study, however many sleep studies do not include that channel. Whether or not UARS is present, treatment with CPAP is still the standard, so you should get relief soon.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2015, 06:56 AM)lolewis Wrote: Periods of prolonged desaturation, lowest 79%

I have been tested a couple of times over the years for pulmonary hypertension with no definitive diagnosis but have a low diffusion capacity(69%). I am not followed by a respirologist for this. Could this "play" in to it? I am 40 lbs overweight, female and 52 years old. If it is 100 % because of my weight, I get it but if not, should I be asking for a consult to a respirologist?

I'm a newbie, but I would guess that if the cpap does not improve your oxygen lows, then you should see a pulmonologist (not sure if respirologist is the same thing). Your average oxygen level is lower at 91%, but still comfortable (mine is 91% with cpap and they aren't worried about it).

As someone described to me, an apnea is when you stop breathing due to obstruction. A hypopnea is when you are breathing through a straw - you still get air, but not enough. Having a bunch of hypopneas - wow, I'm just exhausted thinking about that nunber!

Welcome to the board! Be sure to do lots of reading about different machines. You want to be sure you get a data capable machine because the information in it can help you improve your therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
It will be interesting to see if your sleep doctor will recommend CPAP as the treatment of choice. Hypopnea can be for other reasons besides airway restriction. Has your doctor mentioned supplemental oxygen?

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2015, 08:01 AM)quiescence at last Wrote: It will be interesting to see if your sleep doctor will recommend CPAP as the treatment of choice. Hypopnea can be for other reasons besides airway restriction. Has your doctor mentioned supplemental oxygen?

QAL

I haven't seen any doctor for this yet. I am anxious to get started with it so I won't be so drowsy but mad at myself for letting myself get overweight, if in fact that is the cause.
All I know so far is my family doctor's secretary called me yesterday and read me the report and said she was sending it to the oxygen equipment company that did the test. So, I just wait which is hard since I have so many questions! thanks for all the responses though!
Post Reply Post Reply
Where are you located?
You need to call the secretary and have her provide you with a copy of the sleep study including all the detail pages not just the summery and any prescription he sent to the supply company.
If in the U.S. You have a right to copies of everything. You will over time want to learn what all the details mean. You will also want to do research here BFORE you get any equipment, to be sure you get the best equipment for you.
Always remember, no one cares more about your health then you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi lolewis,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 162 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 272 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 267 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 309 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 467 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  My treatment fun. Questions. robbob2112 15 1,602 10-26-2023, 10:19 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie questions - What am I seeing? lmftit 0 358 09-04-2023, 04:44 PM
Last Post: lmftit

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.