Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

new trend in insurance payments on machines
new trend in insurance payments on machines
Hi everyone. I am on Medicare with Supplemental policy- this year Anthem, next year Humana and I bought into my partners work health insurance. But the thing is both Humana and Anthem (don't know about my policy through my partner's insurance) are not paying the machines off in 13 months. Medicare only pays for 13 months and then I don't know what happens- my medicare supplements state they will continue to pay as long as you posess the machine. Now my DME doesn't seem to know this so maybe...

Another weird thing. I have not gotten a bill from my DME since April. We have talked at length about this "computer glitch" and they assured me they would start billing in November. I guess that bill will come this month. Truthfully I have worked so hard to get them to start billing me (fearing they would ask for all the unbilled months would be due at one time) that if I don't get a bill I will assume I've fallen off the grid and leave it alone. (Gosh, someone picked that machine months ago and neglected to give me paperwork).

Also has anyone with Medicare found that you cannot get your machine from one DME and your supplies from another? I'll call and try to find out, but thought someone might know.
Mary
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: new trend in insurance payments on machines
(12-05-2012, 10:12 AM)zimlich Wrote: Also has anyone with Medicare found that you cannot get your machine from one DME and your supplies from another? I'll call and try to find out, but thought someone might know.

I got my machine and my first two masks from one local DME, then returned it, bought a used machine on Craigslist, then bought a new mask from another local DME. Medicare had no problem with any of it. Except for the machine on Craigslist, all I ever paid was the co-pay.
Post Reply Post Reply
I called Medicare and they said I could buy from any DME that took Medicare.
Thanks for your response.
Mary
Post Reply Post Reply
After the 13 mos, the machine is yours. There used to be a continuing rental policy to cover any problems with the machines but Medicare actually got smart and realized the error. My S7 fell into that policy and when I got my S9, they (the DME) actually took the S7 from me because it technically wasn't mine after 7 yrs.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,517 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  csa machines cexer 1 73 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 274 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 672 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Central vs. OA Events: Switching Machines or Tweaking Current CPAP Settings? fjones416 4 498 12-14-2023, 12:28 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Anyone Ever Had Insurance Cover Nightly Oximeter cmpman1974 35 2,861 12-12-2023, 04:11 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.