Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

new user
new user
Hi.
I was diagnosed with OSA last month. The doctor sent me me to this vendor and they asked me to try a Philips Dreamstation. I think it's an Auto model (that's what is written at the bottom). I have it for a week before I have to decide whether or not to buy it. The machine is brand new. 

This is my third night trying it and so far I have given up everytime after an hour or so. There are a couple of things that bother me and I'd like to know if others have experienced the same thing.

First, I noticed that at the end of my exhalation, it feels like the airway gets blocked. It's as if I cannot fully exhale. It does not happen all the time, but often enough so that I get irritated by it.
Second, I started noticing this very low humming sound everytime I exhale. It's driving me nuts (I am a light sleeper) Is it normal or is the machine faulty?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: new user
Chris, there are any number of things that might be going on. If your pressure is actually 4.0 as indicated in your profile, that is very low,and it is unlikely this is an effective therapeutic pressure for OSA. I don't know why your pressure is set this low, even if ou have auto pressure enabled, but most of us need higher pressure to be comfortable.

The machines are very quiet, but not silent. If the sound bothers you, try putting it in a drawer or on the floor.

Get #Sleepyhead software so you can see what is going on that is causing you to stop therapy.

What is your cost for this Dreamstation Auto CPAP?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Chris. welcome to ApneaBoard.

Many people have difficulty in the beginning of CPAP use. There is a period of adjustment.

That blocked feeling on exhale may be due to too much EPR lowering the positive pressure.
As for humming, I don't know. I've not heard of that issue.

I suggest you get a copy of Sleepyhead software to read your SD card on a computer.
That will give clues to what is going on. You'll find it at: [url]https://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./[/url]

There are many fine people here willing to help. Kind Regards, Mongo
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
The lady vendor set it at 4. To her credit, she did make me try the machine in her office first and I told her I was ok with 4. But I realize now there is a difference between trying the machine for 5 minutes in the afternoon and using it at night while trying to sleep. I am going to try and muffle the sound. Thanks for the advice. By the way, does this treatment work, because I have not been sleeping properly for weeks and I am slowly losing it, dropping stuff, forgetting things and losing my temper very fast. Not good.

Chris

It's 4:30 am, I am going to try again. Wish me luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you're feeling short of breath, I would increase your minimum to 6 for now,
When you breathe out, it's normal to feel that the lung doesn't completely empty. don't worry about it, you will get use to it quick enough.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
I to am new to this. I am on my 2 week. Wgat i found to get help get used to it was sit watching tv while you are awake before going to bed. I took me about 3 days to get used to it
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi christophe,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I know CPAP therapy can take some getting used to, but I encourage you to stick with it.
I wish you good luck on your CPAP journey and also with getting used to the mask and machine.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you know how to change your settings (set min to 6?)
Post Reply Post Reply
I am going to ask the lady vendor. She gave me the machine but kept the box with the instructions.
Post Reply Post Reply
At the top of the fourm are some links to more information. You will find cpap user manuals.

The dreamstation is easy to adjust.

As for feeling bad and temper cpap and sleep can help.

Hang in and do not give up.

My dreamstation does not make any sound. I find myself checking to see if it is on. Ask to swap it out for another one.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 year CPAP user, new system and new mask and 1st time Oscar user armandxp 2 1,109 01-26-2021, 05:44 PM
Last Post: armandxp
  Long Time User...First Time 'Advanced Detail' User DerekN 25 10,155 08-11-2013, 04:59 AM
Last Post: sleepyhead2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.