Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

new user
new user
slept first night with machine about 6 hours and did well i thought . Have not been able to keep it on more than a few hours since. Trouble getting to sleep with it even with use of ambien seems to stress me out. I have increased my ramp time and lowered my pressure to 6 thinking it mite help me get used to it. Any ideas out there seems the ambien almost reverses on me. Dont know if its that or the aniexty over the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: new user
Welcome to the forum. What did your sleep study show? Since Ambien works on the same part of the brain that controls breathing it can cause an increase in apneas.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You also show you're using a Resmed 8. Is that accurate? The 8 has been out of fashion for quite awhile, so I'm guessing you either purchased it or was given it? The thing is, an older machine may have lots of hours on it, and may not be producing the pressure it is supposed to. So have it tested at a DME to make sure it's doing right.

The other thing is the "not being able to keep it on" thing. Why not? What is it that is inspiring you to remove it?

Please let us know as much as you can about what's going on so we can try to help.

By the way: Welcome to the board.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the board! And I second what RG said we need more info.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi NCBIKER,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy and fine tuning it.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2015, 07:56 PM)NCBIKER Wrote: slept first night with machine about 6 hours and did well i thought . Have not been able to keep it on more than a few hours since. Trouble getting to sleep with it even with use of ambien seems to stress me out. I have increased my ramp time and lowered my pressure to 6 thinking it mite help me get used to it. Any ideas out there seems the ambien almost reverses on me. Dont know if its that or the aniexty over the machine.

First, I don't think increasing your ramp time will help you. If you can get by without the ramp, especially with a lower pressure, turn the ramp off. I also think lowering your pressure is not a good idea. If anything, I would turn the ramp off and put the pressure back to 8 or maybe even 9.

ALSO, if you don't have your sleep study results including your data points (you did have a sleep study didn't you), then get a copy of it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome!

When I first started using my machine I took melatonin to help me get to sleep while I adjusted to having something on my face. It didn't take long until I found I was sleeping fine with the melatonin. Maybe a different sleep aid would work better for you?

From what I understand, it is better the keep the pressure up at your prescribed setting, otherwise you could be waking yourself up with apneas despite using the machine.

Stick with it though and keep at it until you find what helps. It is worth it! Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Somnapure
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 year CPAP user, new system and new mask and 1st time Oscar user armandxp 2 1,109 01-26-2021, 05:44 PM
Last Post: armandxp
  Long Time User...First Time 'Advanced Detail' User DerekN 25 10,154 08-11-2013, 04:59 AM
Last Post: sleepyhead2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.