Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

new user advice/comments
new user advice/comments

Hi all ,new user here hoping to get some comments - ive had bad sleep for probably most of my life and only recently did a sleep study that gave a result of 52 events per hr , 2 weeks ago i was given a CPAP and its taking some getting used too (im averaging 4.5 hrs a night using it before ive had enough of it , hopefully i'll get used to it soon and can wear it all the time im in bed ).
 my sleeping has alway been very fragmented , i move about alot and wake up probably 3/4 times an hr and move about- i rarely dream  , since using the CPAP my sleep seems to be worse not better though imputting this down to not being used to the machine.
 i was told by the nurse at the clinic that i have a mixture of obstructive and central apnea ,looking at the data from OSCAR its seems im still getting quite a few central apnea events so i would like some advise frm some experienced members who are better versed in using OSCAR.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: new user advice/comments
Hi pugster - Welcome
The first thing I'd try is to turn off the EPR.  It may be causing a lot of your CA's.  The OA's appear to be positional and are probably caused by chin tucking.  I would try one thing at a time, so go without using the EPR option and then we can go from there.  In the meantime, please review the links below on OSCAR chart organization.

Good luck!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: new user advice/comments
Your obstructive events are happening in clusters which is often a sign that you are tucking your chin and cutting off the airway. This wiki article discusses the problem and solutions, and you may find it looks familiar to your own charts http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea Also read the section on Complex or Mixed apnea http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._.2F_CA.29

I agree with the previous comment regarding EPR, and that it can increase central events in individuals that are prone to a mix of obstruction and centrals. You are currently using EPR at 3 so there is a 3-cm pressure reduction on each exhale. This tends to increase the venting of CO2 and is the primary reason centrals are happening. Try an EPR setting off or no more than 1-cm.

Finally, you are using a 30 minute ramp with a starting pressure of 4.0. That is very low pressure and you might find a ramp pressure of 6 or higher is more comfortable. Most of us do not use ramp once we are comfortable with the therapy, and I would also suggest you use the auto setting on ramp rather than a fixed time. Looking at the ramp period, you will see that there is no EPR and no apnea during that time...that is a clue for your EPR setting.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 37 1,520 Yesterday, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 97 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 54 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 13 511 03-12-2024, 02:54 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 722 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks
  21 nights in, seeking advice smmille1 3 182 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: smmille1
  New User - Advice greatly appreciated. sparklefists 15 993 02-20-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: sparklefists

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.