Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

new user not getting sleep
new user not getting sleep
i just started user my cpap 2 weeks ago and I can't get any sleep. when I do get to sleep, I am awakened by sound of air blowing out of the vent or from around the sides of the mask after the pressure ramps up. my prescription has me set set for a 7 to start with a ramp to 15, this seems excessive to me. what can be done, if anything?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: new user not getting sleep
The Amara View Mask is tricky to get set right.

First I'd turn off the ramp and adjust your mask at the highest pressure you use.

Second you can try wearing the mask during the day to get use to it.

The pressure is not really that bad. I think the ramp feature actually cause's people to wake up. Better to adjust to the pressure before falling asleep.

Read Mask primer for some tips. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum.

The "Ramp" you mentioned, 7-15, is not a ramp but rather your settings. Minimum (7) and Maximum (15).  Your machine will raise pressure if you need it depending on apnea events that it detects.  A ramp is a setting that is executed on startup prior to reaching therapy pressure (7-15), it may be on or off.

Excessive?  Needed?  Nightly charts will help us help you with those answers.

Please download SleepyHead and post your charts.  These will provide the data needed to provide the answers.
Also please post a copy of your sleep studies.  

The leaks, please read the Mask Primer, it contains a lot of info on managing leaks.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Monte,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the same problems after 4 month. I finally called my doctor and he lowered the pressure from 8 to 13 to 4 to 8. My AHI is still low and I get more sleep. I had to quit the Amara View because of leaks while sleeping on my sides. I'm having a mask fitting tomorrow and am currently using the Res-Med F20 Airtouch mask. Keep trying.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info,I am  trying a Res-Med F20 tonight. Hopefully I will get some sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 166 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 209 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Oscar Data Attached - New User - Can't Sleep! kevinmallard 7 574 12-22-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [CPAP] New User - Settings Suggestion - Disturbed Sleep ralphm123 3 335 11-06-2023, 09:57 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,363 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 808 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  New User with sleep results in Cows123 5 566 05-04-2023, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Cows123

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.