Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

new user question
new user question
Hello I am new to this kind of therapy after 3 month approval process with my insurance I was given a refurbished "mirage V elite" blower machine and a "sullivan mirage" nose mask. the mask has these plastic straps that are kind of uncomfortable but hopefully i get use to them before long.

my question is there are 3 buttons on this that say 5, 10, and 20? what do these do?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: new user question
Hi michael1960,

Welcome
I'm not familiar with the make of your machine. It's name doesn't seem to be popular in the U.S.. Hopefully another member can be of help to you.

Here is the link, that is at the top of the of page, for a lot of CPAP machine manuals:
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Good luck with your therapy.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Gday Michael, welcome to Apnea Board.

The Sullivan machines were precursors to today's Resmed, named after the inventor of CPAP Dr Colin Sullivan. As far as I know they have been out of production for years.

I suspect your supplier has tried to pass off a very old, no doubt used machine. I don't know where you're located, but in most places this would be regarded as criminal fraud.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just following on... The Sullivan V series was produced in 1999! I would not use this machine - after that time anything could be wrong with it.

You can get the manual by going to the link at the top of this page. You need to ask for the Resmed Sullivan V manual. It looks like those 5, 10 and 20 buttons are used for a whole range of functions.

But you really don't want to use it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh ok well the place I was sent to was a warehouse and I had a choice between this or a "sleepeasy iii" and the other one looked very heavy and boxy so I chose this one since it is smaller. I'm in the US and had to pay a 50$ pickup and handling fee and 75$ a month and my insurance pays the rest ill call and see if i can get a newer one. I figured it's used since it has a refurbished sticker on the bottom but i figured this was the norm of insurance paid for it to get the cheapest kind.
Post Reply Post Reply
Talk to your insurance company directly. I'm not in the States but I'd be very surprised if they knew they were forking out for a 17 year old machine. AFAIK they pay the same amount for all CPAP and APAP machines including brand new ones. I'll lay odds your CPAP warehouse are making a killing on this deal. Possibly literally!

Post Reply Post Reply
Ditto... especially here in the US being given a 17 year old machine sounds beyond fishy. I can't believe any insurance company would agree to that simply due to the liability involved. Now... if that IS the case, you should visit this website:

https://www.healthcare.gov/get-coverage/

Shop the government's insurance marketplace. If you're going to be paying an additional $75/month for a 17 year old machine on top of your insurance premium... oy! Take that $75/mo and put it towards a policy that encourages the practice of modern medicine! Smile Alternatively, brand new machines can be had for $500 saving you $400 over the course of a year. A brand spanking new ResMed Airsense S10 can be had for $700ish and the autoset machines look to go for the low $800's.
Post Reply Post Reply
Doing a bit more searching... looks like you can get some of the Phillips Respironics machines brand new for $400ish. Seems like the ResMed AirSense and Respironics Dreamstations are the most popular machines here. Going to brands I've not seen... there's some even cheaper options. Yeah, $75/mo for a 17 year old refurbished machine is at the very least, completely unethical.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi michael1960,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you good luck in dealing with the DME, )Durable Medical Equipment,) supplier and your insurance company in resolving this problem.
Much success to you on your CPAP journey and getting a newer machine.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Scroll to the top of this page, click on "Supplier List" and then click on Supplier #2. They have an S9 Autoset with low hours (under 500) for $379.00! Comes with a 1 year warranty too.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New CPAP user Question mcast10 2 293 01-07-2024, 10:59 AM
Last Post: mcast10
  new resmed user - question about Myair and airview wooders 4 1,048 08-20-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: krsattler
  New User - CO2 Vent Question JohnHornbuckle 5 1,255 04-02-2022, 10:40 AM
Last Post: JohnHornbuckle
Question [Pressure] New xPAP user - Question about Centrals on OSCAR AeroM 41 3,720 02-21-2022, 11:31 PM
Last Post: AeroM
  New Resmed user question and recommendations on settings xamax 5 890 09-13-2021, 02:53 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  New CPAP user here with a question about my elbow sweetnothings 12 1,629 08-15-2021, 10:30 PM
Last Post: sweetnothings
  New user with question Doublereeder2 9 964 06-06-2021, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Doublereeder2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.