Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

new user; sleep not any better
new user; sleep not any better
Hello all! I'm a new CPAP user, for about 2 weeks now, but have been lurking for about 3 months now on this forum. Lots of good info, and very civil/courteous. I just want to share my experience, and basically ask if it's normal.

1. I noticed that I wake up less now in the middle of the night, and my AHI is less than 5, but I feel like my eyelids feel really heavy (droopy) for the first couple of hours after waking up, but I'm not really sleepy. It was not like this before using the CPAP machine. I'm thinking I'm sleeping deeper, but I'm just guessing. Is that normal? Is there some kind of break-in period for the body to adjust to better sleep?

2. I have an S9 Autoset with humidity set to Auto, and I also noticed that my nasal passages dry out during the night, so I manually just set it to 4.5. That more or less fixed the problem. My question is for the same humidity setting of 4.5, is the air more humid at 70 degrees or 80 degrees F? I mean given for example humidity set at 80%, at what temp does the air has more moisture content, 70 or 80?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: new user; sleep not any better
Hi EMD886,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Give it some time, your body is still getting used to this new way of sleeping. Some people get used to it right away and it takes others a while.
It sounds like you have already started noticing some improvement.
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and don't give up, CPAP therapy can take LOTS of PATIENCE.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2013, 06:24 PM)EMD886 Wrote: Is that normal? Is there some kind of break-in period for the body to adjust to better sleep?
Yes its normal, Everyone goes thru period of adjustment at the start of the treatment
Everyone is different, For most can take weeks or months to adjust to the therapy and body to heal after years of sleep deprivation
Its called "Sleep Debt". Will always be some problems along the way but there,re solutions to most problems

Tips for new CPAP users .. Avoiding 10 common problems
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...CPAP_users

Climate Control Auto
In Auto mode, you have the ability to adjust air temperature (61-86°F (16-30°C)) depending on preference. Based on your selected air temperature, Climate Control automatically adjusts the humidifier output to maintain a constant, comfortable humidity level of 80% relative humidity while protecting against rainout. In Auto mode the default air temperature is set to 80°F (27°C)
http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...lo_eng.pdf

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2013, 06:24 PM)EMD886 Wrote: My question is for the same humidity setting of 4.5, is the air more humid at 70 degrees or 80 degrees F? I mean given for example humidity set at 80%, at what temp does the air has more moisture content, 70 or 80?

Hi EMD886, welcome to the forum!

Relative humidity is defined as the percentage of moisture held in the air relative to its moisture-holding capacity.

The moisture-holding capacity of air increases as the temperature rises.

So if operating the humidifier in Auto mode (that is, with Climateline hose), the moisture content of the air you are breathing will be highest using the highest hose temperature setting.

When you are operating humidifier in Manual mode but with Climateline hose, hose temperature setting will not influence how much moisture the humidifier delivers into the air, but if the hose temperature is too low there could be rain-out (condensation) inside the hose, which could encourage growth of bacteria or mold unless hose is well dried out daily by taking it off the machine and hanging it out to dry.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is another trick to dry the hose out without taking off the line - empty out the humidifier tank and put it back. Remove the data card (should be a CF card around the back) and turn off both the humidifier and the auto on settings in your program menu. Then simply let the machine run for half an hour or so, and Robert is your Uncle, you have a dry tank, hose and everything else. No risk of bacteria or mushrooms. The air passing through the system at pressure is dry enough when there is no moisture form the tank to dry out everything neatly.

As for the heavy eyes, there are two things going on - the first is that you are getting used to a new sleeping pattern, which actually can make you feel worse for a time, no worries there, it just takes a while (sleep debt is a myth, nothing more - the brain is making an adjustment to your sleeping pattern after years of having another pattern, there is nothing to "pay back"), and second, the pressure from your mask is enough to sometimes cause disturbance in the sinus and regions around the eyes, causing a heavy, sticky feeling to the eyelids. Nothing to worry about - usually it goes away, sometimes lowering the top pressure will fix that otherwise.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 166 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 209 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Oscar Data Attached - New User - Can't Sleep! kevinmallard 7 574 12-22-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [CPAP] New User - Settings Suggestion - Disturbed Sleep ralphm123 3 334 11-06-2023, 09:57 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,362 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 808 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  New User with sleep results in Cows123 5 566 05-04-2023, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Cows123

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.