Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Mask type and fit
RE: Mask type and fit
From my own adjusting of pressures between 16 and 12, it feels like a higher pressure generates more leak per given mask adjustment. I hunt for the minimal pressure that gives me acceptable numbers, balanced against how tight I have to keep my mask in order to prevent large leaks.
At the somewhat higher pressures that I use, the mask has to be nailed on pretty good. The contact seals are certainly deformed, but not totally.  I dont think I can wiggle my mask inlet enough to create a leak at my face, but I'll test that tonite.  
Im wondering if your mask needs an overall tightening ?
Post Reply Post Reply
The first night with the F30 mask was so much better. I did occasionally find it hard to breathe through my nose and ended up gasping for air, but a much better fit, and much more comfortable for me. Thanks for people's thoughts, I'll keep tweaking things with the F30 for a while.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thats great to hear that the F30 might do the trick.
Other than initial strap adjustments, each night I find that I have to pull the two head-crossing straps rearward a little to sort of rotate the whole thing. This helps push my nose up a bit and keeps my nasal passage open.
Post Reply Post Reply
Gasping for air indicates you need to increase minimum off the default 4. As is, there's also conflict in the pressure of 4 and EPR 1. Mathematically it's not doing much, it can't drop pressure below 4, so this cancels most to all of the EPR benefits.

You are still running full default settings and will get even better results with fine tuning. Your median pressure was 7 or so, consider increasing to that. You will get more air, EPR will work correct. At 7 for your pressure, you could increase EPR to 3 if you choose.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’m still going well with the F30. Very few leaks and AHI <5. I’m going to start adjusting the pressure to start to fine tune and also get a collar, because I think it could work well after reading the wiki.

Thanks everyone for your help and comments. I’ll post some graphs soon.
Post Reply Post Reply
I too started with the F20. Initially I thought it was great, but I had no reference. After trying different sizes and having numerous problems, I decided to give the F30 a try. That seemed to be the better of the two by far for me.

I have used the F30 for almost two years now, and kind of wanted to find an alternate FFM that would give my nose a break from the F30 "nose-mashup". So I decided to try the F&P Vitera. I do like the Vitera, but I like the F30 a little better. I have been using the Vitera for a few months now and want to continue to log more hours on it so I can write up a proper product review. One thing I noticed was how noisy the exhaled vent was. Well, I found a solution for that. I'll be putting my findings in the review. But... I made a small fleece wrap for the elbow that defuses the air coming out the side slits. And I cut a ResMed style filter in half and slip one piece in between the cushion and frame where the exhaust pinholes exist. Wow, what a difference in sound. On the ResMed masks, I use the QuietAir Elbow with the internal diffuser material.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 252 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mask Type Setting Mpadgett714 1 514 12-11-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Mask type in settings isn’t the mask I’m wearing 3k9BAO 1 418 11-15-2023, 11:31 PM
Last Post: eok361
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 8 16,080 11-13-2023, 10:14 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Treatment] Where can I get this type of Boil-and-bite Mandibular Advancement Splint / MAD? selfhelpdevice 1 308 11-13-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  What type of leaks are these on OSCAR? meatwagon42 2 452 11-09-2023, 10:20 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
Question What type of mask should I select on my device? hejohoo 5 588 08-21-2023, 02:02 PM
Last Post: hejohoo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.