Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ok. I've been diagnosed as severe apnea. I'm on my third mask. A nasal pillow type. I like it. I've been making adjustments since January when the VA diagnosed me. I've gotten my ahi numbers down to the 8-10 range. No matter whati can't get below 5.  They say I won't feel better until I get below 5. It says I sleep 7 hours.  I think I do but it's not quality sleep. I'm always tired. I use a humidifier and a heated hose. My father had sleep narcolepsy. He never fell asleep while driving or walking or anything like that. But if he wasn't actively engaged with something he would fall asleep. I'm so frustrated now I feel like chucking my machine but then I don't want to get worse and have a stroke. Advice???
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: newbie
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure we can help you but more information will be required. If you have a copy of your sleep study please post it with your personal information redacted. I strongly recommend you download the free OSCAR software and post data from the use of your machine. See the links below for the software, instructions on how to format your data, and how to post images in the forum. Don't give up. There are a number of knowledgeable forum members with severe SA that have succeeded in getting their AHI values well below 5.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I agree fully with the comment by melman.  It's a very rare person indeed who has not been helped immensely by the forumites here at apneaboard. Look at it this way: you are now diagnosed, your progress is evident, and you are motivated to improve your circumstances.  All pluses in my books. With some concrete and current information, we'll almost certainly have your AHI under 5, and with some perseverance and good will all around, below 3.
Post Reply Post Reply
Amen to the posts from Melman and meseteria. It’s great you have joined the forum, and with more information to go on, the experts will almost certainly be able to help you. Once your treatment has been optimized, you may start feeling better right away, or you may notice progress more gradually. Either way, you will be headed in the right direction.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm sorry but this site is just too confusi g for me to use. Thank you any way.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome John

Even with your severe apnea brought down to where you are is a good sign and in a positive direction. For some the change is smooth and immediate but for most of us, myself included, it was a slow progressive improvement. There were ups and downs along the way but somehow I got to the stage where I think I can think again.

Keep at it, there are many gurus here- selfless beings-who will 'walk with you' and hopefully bring you to a position where you feel you can fly yourself. Take their advice, use OSCAR to allow them to help you analyse your data in order to tweak your therapy.

The very best to you, John.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
John could you let us know what’s confusing? Maybe the Oscar software? We would gladly help if you’d let us know how.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 382 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 483 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 268 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 296 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.