Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

newbie- 30 day mask return?
newbie- 30 day mask return?
I had my second sleep study, hooked up to the machine, last night and am waiting to hear back so now I am doing a lot of research.. I stopped in at a supplier very close to me and they were very helpful, but I have few questions.

1) He said there is not a 30 day return on the masks any more because the manufacturers no longer take them back. So, the mask I leave the store with will be the one I have to use for about 10 months. this worries me, because the one I tried last night, over just my nose, felt fine at first, but began to hurt as the night went on..and I would love to have as little appliance as possible to deal.. Is this true now, for all providers? there is not a 30 day return/trial to help you find the best mask for you? how will I know if the one I choose will really work? (this was a large provider I think)

2) He seemed to also like- and therefore lead me toward- a Respironics system one machine saying this was the one they sold the most of.. I have read up a lot on this forum and I think that is a good one, from what people say, But I am also looking at the Resmed S9's... I do like the look of the S9s and the size much better than the respironic ones..I know that is not the top priority, but how long will I keep this machine and what it looks like is important to me. Does anyone have any advise between these 2 machines.
Thanks!
I can't wait to get started! this forum has been extremely helpful and encouraging.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: newbie- 30 day mask return?
(03-13-2013, 03:28 PM)carolynn Wrote: He said there is not a 30 day return on the masks any more because the manufacturers no longer take them back. So, the mask I leave the store with will be the one I have to use for about 10 months. this worries me, because the one I tried last night, over just my nose, felt fine at first, but began to hurt as the night went on.... Is this true now, for all providers? there is not a 30 day return/trial to help you find the best mask for you? how will I know if the one I choose will really work?

Hi carolynn, welcome to the forum!

For advice on which machine to get:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

I suggest not using any supplier which does not keep a selection of "loaner" masks for you to try out for several days before returning it and buying a new one of that type or trying another type for a few days, etc.

Really, the thoughtlessness of the supplier's new policy is huge. Totally absent is any consideration for the welfare of the patient. Do not deal with that supplier. There has got to be many more who would be far more worthy of your business. Contact your insurance company for a list of eligible companies, or there may be a list on their website.

Sometimes it is good to be assertive in watching out for your own best interests.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
WOW thanks, that link was a great help. I copied it to take with me.
To be fair, the people at the store were VERY helpful and kind, that is why I would love to go back to use them. He seemed to say this was a very new thing that they were not taking back the masks.. I didn't ask about "loaner masks." Is that what everyone means when they try different ones?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2013, 03:28 PM)carolynn Wrote: Does anyone have any advise between these 2 machines.
Thanks!
I can't wait to get started! this forum has been extremely helpful and encouraging.
Hi carolynn, welcome to the board
If you.re from US, Read here before talking your DME
http://maskarrayed.wordpress.com/what-yo...me-part-i/

Its a toss between ResMed S9 or PRS1, both are good machines but both got some models you need to avoid

ResMed S9 ... avoid Escape and Escape Auto models
Elite and AutoSet are data capable machines. the model name printed next to power button

In case of PRS1 machines, it get very confusing with so many models but you want either the Auto or Pro models
(all the other models are not data capable machines)
PRS1 Auto A-Flex (560), PRS1 Pro with C-Flex (460) are data capable machines.
the label at the bottom of the machines would tell you the model, 460 or 560
Do not accept the machine if does not show any of these two numbers

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2013, 04:07 PM)carolynn Wrote: To be fair, the people at the store were VERY helpful and kind, that is why I would love to go back to use them. He seemed to say this was a very new thing that they were not taking back the masks.. I didn't ask about "loaner masks." Is that what everyone means when they try different ones?

Hi carolynn,

If they had a selection of loaner masks they would have made that clear.

Regardless of how nice the staff were, I strongly advise you to not deal with a company which has adopted the policy you described. Let them know that, nothing personal, but their policy is simply unacceptable to you and they are losing your business because of it. If nothing else, this will benefit them by nudging them in the right direction.

It is a significant expense and requires work for the company to make available a selection of loaner masks and to properly clean and disinfect the loaner masks upon their return, and I suspect they do not want to be bothered. At the same time, masks are often hugely profitable. Apparently they would prefer to do only what is easiest and most profitable for them, leaving you to suffer the consequences. (Emphasis on the word suffer, because this will be the likely outcome for many patients.)

Unfortunately, most CPAP patients eventually stop using their machines because of problems with their masks leaking or hurting them. Their health deteriorates rapidly because of giving up on therapy. Please, do not let yourself become one of those.

Finding the right mask is the hardest thing for most patients, and many need to try many different masks. That this company is largely abandoning their patients in this area is truly unconscionable, no matter how common this may be.

Keep searching until you find a supplier which has a good policy in this regard.

Take care and good luck,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
See if you can use another DME if at all possible.

There is no way to see if a mask will work without trying it for a couple of nights.

Both the ResMed and Respironics machines are good machines. It is to your benefit to get a data capable machine. This allows you (and your doctor) to get an idea of how well you are doing.

Best of luck to you.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi carolynn,
WELCOME! to the forum. I will tell you that I REALLY like my machine, it's a pretty machine, even though that's not the main thing to look for, and by the way, the silver (gray,) colored one is just like the pink one accept for color, they BOTH work the same, they are very good machines.
archangle has some very helpful information on which machines to buy, so check out the link a few posts above this one.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
They probably pushed the Respironics machine because it costs less and they get a bigger profit.

I don't see mask companies doing any "We don't take returns" thing since that cuts down on sales. This entire business is about compliance. Giving someone one mask to try is not promoting that at all.

I'm not sure if there is an official "30 day trial". Some supplier's allow 2 weeks, others, 3, others 30 days. Some don't offer it at all.

Go with what the others say and shop with another supplier.

As for which machine to get, the PRS1 and the S9s are both great machines. Avoid any PR with the word "plus" in the name and any Resmed with the word "Escape" in the name. They are dumb leaf blowers (not data capable).
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm with ther rest of the folks here. Get a new DME. A friend of mine had to try 10 before finding one that would work!
At $90 to $200 a pop that can get expensive.

Good luck with those turkeys.

Wink
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 391 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 135 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 194 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 206 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 489 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 273 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 298 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.