Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

newbie and total time in apnea
newbie and total time in apnea
Howdy, approximately 23 days into cpap therapy. Just made an epr adjustment. Started at a 3 and went down to a 2. I have my pressure range from an 8 to a 16.

If my AHI are below a 5 averaging about one per hour, then why does my sleepy head data show that I am averaging somewhere between 2 to 3 minutes total in apnea?

I was thinking the machine was suppose to prevent apnea as soon as it was detected? I need all the brain cell functioning as I can get!

jenn jennnDont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: newbie and total time in apnea
Hello JenJen,

You are doing really nice. Relax!!!
These are total time in apnea. It is the sum of all the time that you were in apnea during the complete time that you were sleeping. It is the sum of each individual event. Your numbers look very good.This time is in minutes.
If you can upload the daily report from SH, I will be 100% sure about that.
Ralph.Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-20-2016, 02:19 PM)JenJen Wrote: Howdy, approximately 23 days into cpap therapy. Just made an epr adjustment. Started at a 3 and went down to a 2. I have my pressure range from an 8 to a 16.

If my AHI are below a 5 averaging about one per hour, then why does my sleepy head data show that I am averaging somewhere between 2 to 3 minutes total in apnea?

Well, let's say your AHI is 4 and you sleep 7 hours. That's a total of 7x4=28 events. Let's say half of them are actual apneas, so 14 apneas. If you have 3 minutes TTIA then the average length of each apnea event was 60*3/14= about 13 seconds. Apneas only start to be counted at 10 seconds. That's not too bad, really. You were probably spending a whole lot more time in apnea before you started using your machine.

With SleepyHead you can find out exactly how long each apnea was.

Quote:was thinking the machine was suppose to prevent apnea as soon as it was detected? I need all the brain cell functioning as I can get!

The Resmed machines start increasing pressure when flow limitation goes up and you start snoring. The "for her" does so a bit more gently. The trouble is that raising pressure too fast can disturb your sleep and the idea of CPAP is to allow you to sleep better. Some machines are much more aggressive than the ResMed ones about this.

A CPAP or APAP machine is meant to prevent apneas, but they cannot stop an apnea once it begins. You would need an ASV machine for that, and they are a lot more expensive and for some a lot harder to sleep with.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum JenJen!

Sounds like you are doing well so far. Keep at it!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
You are doing great. I have found the tighter the range of pressure the lower the AHI and better sleep for me. At first, my range was 4-15 and found therapy not working at all, but tweaking the pressure seemed to be the key for me. My biggest breakthrough came when I increased the lowest setting from 4 to 7.6 so that I wasn't suffocating so much of the night. There are so many variables but you look like you are on your way to investigating and to good therapy. Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all for your comments. I increased my pressure range from 5 to 9 through 16. Moved my EPR from 3 down to a 1. 44 days into therapy. I feel fabulous. On average my ahi is 0.49. This machine and treatment has truly been a lifesaver. I highly encourage anyone that is non compliant with their therapy to stick with it.

jenjen
Post Reply Post Reply
CPAP and APAP machines will try and prevent an apnea from starting, but once started they cannot stop it.

The ASV machines also cannot actually stop an apnea, instead it will increase pressure significantly during an apnea in an attempt to trigger you into taking a breath. This is for central apneas, the ASV cannot push open an obstructive apnea.

None of these machines are true ventilators, which is what is required to actually breathe for you
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a way to change the Resmed 10 time from Miliary Time? johnathanb76 5 47 1 hour ago
Last Post: johnathanb76
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 61 990 4 hours ago
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [CPAP] CPAP works, but at the same time doesn't AUniqueUsername 8 175 Yesterday, 08:17 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Oscar 1.4.0 software time change keithy62 2 122 04-12-2024, 05:14 AM
Last Post: keithy62
  Long Time PAPer Trying to Dial It In again! dlbzone 5 266 04-11-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: dlbzone
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 111 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Newbie Here Tulipdi 4 191 04-02-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Tulipdi

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.