Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Which ASV machine to get-ResMed or Phillips
Which ASV machine to get-ResMed or Phillips
I am having a hard time deciding which ASV machine to buy-the ResMed ASV or the Phillips Respironics. Based on what I have heard, it is sort of hard to get used to the ASV technology of making you take a breath, and many people have sleepless nights at first on this technology. That said, I would think the choice would be based on which machine is the easiest to get used to. I am assuming the end results regarding event numbers are about the same on both machines.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Which ASV machine to get-ResMed or Phillips
Both machines are good. There may be some slight differences between how PR and ResMed implements the ASV algorithm.
You'll probably get better answers form ASV users than from me.
My first reaction is to say: Go with the ResMed since you already have their bilevel.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
My experience relates to the previous generation machines, but I believe their basic operating algorithms haven't changed much...

The Resmed relies on software to drive almost everything - it's a proprietary algorithm called "Pacewave". I have found it extremely good, and it didn't take much getting used to. The Philips relies much more on adjustments and settings to get the machine to respond appropriately to your breathing patterns.

I suspect that a well set-up Philips will be a great machine and allow you more control, but only if you (or your doc) really know what you're doing. I had the Philips for a while way back when, but at that time I knew nothing about the settings. It was a miserable experience. When I changed to the Resmed, it was like night and day! The Philips tried to force me to breathe according it its agenda, while the Resmed adapted itself to my agenda. My AHI dropped from mid 60s with no treatment to mid 20s on the Philips to less than 1 on the Resmed.

These machines do take a different approach. If you have the time, patience and know-how to achieve an optimal setup then maybe the Philips is for you. If you want a machine that you can more-or-less press the button and rely on the machine to keep you breathing comfortably, then go for the Resmed. Personally I wouldn't consider any other machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
It may be tough to accomplish, but if you could try both?

As best I can tell the resmed aircurve 10 asv and resmed s9 adapt are more available on the cheaper "as is" secondary personal sale market than the respironics asv.

But if you have a prescription for an asv and the finances online vendors with warranties are available and sell both.

Or maybe if you start with one and it just doesn't work out your doc might recommend the other .... how tough would that be to accomplish?

I long for the respironics gentle therapy, but it's the resmed that gets the job done for me and that's what counts.

Post Reply Post Reply
DeepBreathing

Many thanks for your message. It is right on point and exactly what I was looking for. Isn't it wonderful that we can share our experiences and benefit on this great forum. As you can tell, my greatest concern is the "getting used to the machine" experience. From what I have gathered, practically everyone has a getting used to period with a ASV machine. Some have a short period, and some have a long period-up to a year in some cases.

During my recent sleep test wherein a Philips ASV machine was used, the first thing I noticed was the slight delay on the inhale. On my ResMed AirCurve VAuto, there is no slight delay, but rather a smooth effortless transition between the inhale and exhale. I would call it a "rough edge" on the Phillips. This is really trivial, but something that a continuous user of similar types of machines notices.

I can't thank you enough for your thoughts. You have practically made my decision.

jerrydaw
Post Reply Post Reply
I enjoyed reading your post. I had a ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto but it was not viewed effective in treating the central apnea. Actually in hindsight and with many thanks to members and moderators here, the DME had not set up the BIPAP prescription properly on the machine.

Our sleep lab uses Philips Respironics System One machines so the scripts are written pretty strictly. The doctor was trying to sort things out so had me go in for a third sleep study. I had the same observation with it as was written up earlier in this thread--something about the timing is different between the VAuto and the System One. That titration was largely unsuccessful IMHO.

A fourth visit to the sleep lab used the System One to titrate on ASV. It was very comfortable in ASV mode. I had no problem adjusting to it at all and despite all the lab-related "discomfort" (even fourth time), I slept really well and experienced REM rebound. I was surprised to read the AHI in the study report of 10.1. All the events were hypopnea and there was still a lot of PLM.

The DME tried to dispense a System One to me, but I would have nothing of it. Even though I am a newbie, I am a diehard ResMed fanatic so insisted on the AirCurve 10 ASV. There was no adjustment. It's just comfort. First nine nights AHI of 0.0 ZERO. Night ten there were two small hypopnea in over 8 hours of sleep. Night eleven (last night) there was one small hypopnea in 6.8 hours of sleep. Would a System One do this? Who knows.

I suggest that people that are using with these machines to improve their sleep find a good instrument to track sleep in addition to their "CPAP" machine. I use the ResMed S+ and the Beurer S80 (software and technology by EarlySense). I am anxious to receive my DREEM next year. It's just so important to look at and chart your own data to ensure that your treatment is successful.

Big thanks again to everyone here and to the author of SleepyHead and the support team.

You have likely made your decision already, but I am still a diehard ResMed fan and love my ASV. I completely trust it. And it is treating my sleep apnea effectively.
Post Reply Post Reply
If I recall correctly from the Morgan pdf, the system one asv waits for 2 OAs before adjusting epap pressure to treat the obstructive apnea, and then waits at least 2 minutes before inceasing epap again.

I wonder what the system one parameters are for responding to CAs. Hope it doesn't let you have to CAs before responding and I doubt that it does but it makes me wonder.

The resmed seems to respond pretty quickly.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 128 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  new machine Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto Uzupan 32 1,356 03-10-2024, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 203 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Equipment] Are the ResMed Aircurve 10 S and ResMed Aircurve 10 VAuto the "exact same machine"? kkjacks 3 271 02-20-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: kkjacks
Question Just given a Phillips Dreamstation 2 the same day Phillips agrees to stop selling Montacute 39 1,469 02-09-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Angry [Equipment] MORE PHILLIPS ISSUES srlevine1 3 704 02-01-2024, 12:28 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Phillips update. Big Guy 0 272 01-29-2024, 08:22 PM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.