Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

newbie apap user
Wink 
newbie apap user
Hi All,

I am a newbie and now I am part of the sleep apnea board clubSmile I had my home sleep test a few weeks ago from my doctor.
So I purchased yesterday my first ResMed Airsense 10 APAP machine with heated humidifer and got a full face mask mask, accessories, etc ,see below, and waiting to receive them from Supplier #1

I did read  "MaskPrimer" link and I will follow it when I get the apap machine and mask 

Any other good suggestions or advice that I need to get additionally or return any of the items below that I might not need to use ?

ResMed AirSense™ 10 AutoSet™ CPAP Machinewith HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier
Qty:

DreamWear Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear -Fit Pack (S, M, MW, L Cushions with MediumFrame) - Fit Pack (All Cushions with MediumFrame)
Qty:

Dishwasher Safe Water Chamber for AirSense™10, AirStart™ 10, and AirCurve™ 10 HumidAir™
Disposable Standard Filters for AirSense™ 10,AirStart™ 10, AirCurve™ 10, and S9 Series CPAPMachines (6 pack)
Qty:

Disposable Hypoallergenic Filters for AirSense™10, AirStart™ 10, AirCurve™ 10, and S9 SeriesCPAP Machines (6 pack)
Qty:

Lumin CPAP Mask and Accessories Cleaner
Qty:

Generic Outlet Bacteria Filter (10 Pack)
Qty:

thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: newbie apap user
Hi sb0623!  -  Welcome

You have a nice system.  However, you may have over bought a few items.   The Lumin uses UV light to sanitize CPAP parts.  UV light cause plastics to degrade.  In order to retard this action, UV additives (like a sunscreen) have to be added to the plastic's recipe, prior to the molding process.  Most CPAP parts aren't designed for UV conditions.  (Why add additional cost and life longevity to a perishable/resale item?)  In fact, Resmed has a disclaimer about using UV or Ozone cleaners.  Anyway, it's just air moving through your system and a general cleaning is all that is needed.  

The outlet bacteria filters are used on the supply side of the system and requires you to turn on an option in the setup to make up for this flow restriction.  The CPAP has to guess how much additional pressure is needed to overcome the flow restriction, since there isn't a system sensor after the filter.   The end result is a crap shoot.  I would recommend forgoing the use of this filter unless you have some special medical problem that requires you to breathe only filtered air.   In which case, your living environment should already set up to address this condition.

I would recommend that you get any SD card that is 2 to 32 GB in size and a free copy OSCAR.  This will allow you to monitor your detailed sleep data in order to fine-tune your settings for optimal therapy.  Look at the links in my signature for more information on OSCAR, and posting its images here for help.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi and Welcome - Your setup looks pretty good, but you definitely don't need the UV cleaning system and you don't really need the outlet filter, either. Red's already given you good reasons why, but honestly UV and Ozone cleaning systems for xPAP systems are unnecessary, risk damaging your equipment, and are expensive - plus they can invalidate your warranty, too. Definitely not a good plan!

When it comes to cleaning, all you need is clean water and mild soap. Maybe some vinegar if you have hard water and your humidifier tank gets a bit of limescale buildup. You don't have to "sterilise" anything, and even if you did (which you don't) you would still have to clean everything very thoroughly with soap and water every time anyway, so it definitely doesn't save you any time.

If you want to swap those items for something, maybe a hose cover (I'd recommend an 8ft one over a 6ft one) and perhaps a brush for cleaning your hose. That's about it, and both of those things will be more useful than the two above, IMO. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks all for quick reply.and I will call Supplier #1 to cancel those items that are not necessary.before its shipped and get longer hose cover perhaps.

Also, is the full face.mask.model that I got ok s a first time.user ?

Do you suggest any other masks to get additionally too and then return the one that doesnt fit right perhaps?

thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Masks are a whole topic on their own. Big Grin If you looked at that mask and decided to give it a go, then go for it. It comes with a variety of sizes which is nice, so it's decent when you have no clue what size is best. I'd stick with one mask, for now, and then see how you get on with it. There's nothing to stop you from purchasing different masks in the future if you don't like the one you've picked.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks for the feedback
Post Reply Post Reply
I do NOT intend to disagree with Ratchick. She is right on in several respects. May I add a couple of observations.

Some newbies tend to change things (masks, settings, etc) too often without allowing sufficient time to evaluate the effects of any one given change. So - (1) one thing at a time and (2) allow time for your body to get used to it. Take your time.

Masks are probably the toughest thing about CPAP therapy. So many choices!! All nasal/pillow/full face masks are not the same. Some work best on fairly flat faces, some on angular faces, etc. So you may need to try several different masks before you find the one that is right for your particular face. Be sure to buy new masks from a supplier who allows returns. Otherwise you can spend a lot (and I mean a lot) of money.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi there. I am fairly new to APAP… about three months in. What you need to succeed is a willingness to stick to it no matter what. Finding the right equipment, especially the mask, is the secret to success. The advice on here is invaluable and without these CPAP forums I would never have made it. So read, read, read. There is no issue or problem that has not been encountered by one or more of us. We understand! There are also great you tube videos on CPAP use and equipment, especially reviewing the different masks. Watching these led me to try one I had not considered and it turned out to be the miracle mask for me. Watch LankyLefty’s videos, he is a hoot and does great reviews. Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
Clownbell and Superstar are both right with their advice. The biggest thing for your success will come down to persistence and a bit of patience. Some people are really lucky and see a big improvement in how they feel from the get-go. Many people don't, and it can take a while, sometimes weeks or months to really feel better, and if the changes are gradual, you may not realise it until you skip a night for whatever reason and then you realise how much things have really improved. Whichever way it turns out to be for you, you're setting yourself up for a great start. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 3,272 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 178 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 144 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw
  APAP to VAuto not going well snapperzz 6 234 04-05-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 125 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Newbie Here Tulipdi 4 208 04-02-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Tulipdi
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 17 952 04-02-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.