Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

newbie battery question- time sensitive
newbie battery question- time sensitive
Hi. I'm new to the board and glad you guys are here. I have a lot to learn and I'm sure I'll post again but my main question now is about buying a battery as a backup for my Aircurve 10 ASV machine. I have to travel in about a week and would like to be able to use the machine on the plane. I have seen that resmed has a battery for over $500. I have also seen an off-brand lithium battery advertised for a lot less.

I'd love any info about the following:
1) Best place to buy a battery reasonably and quickly;
2) should i be wary of an off-brand due to recent explosion incidents with lithium skateboards and the like?
3) I read something about an adapter that needs to be used with a battery - what is it called?
4) With a note from a doctor, would insurance ever cover a back-up battery? I have severe central sleep apnea - AHI was 60 and I was seriously symptomatic - hospitalized before being diagnosed. I am doing well on treatment.

Many thanks for your help,
Midge.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: newbie battery question- time sensitive
You would like to use the machine on the aircraft...
Depending on whom your carrier is, you may be permitted to plug the equipment into the aircraft. You'd have to ask ahead of time.
1) I don't know.
2) Regulations limit the Watt-Hr rating of batteries on aircraft. It's around 100 Watt-Hours. (Not 100% sure) If the battery is a 12 Volt, then 100/12=8.33 Amp-Hr (or 8330 milliamp-Hr.)
3) You'll need the Air10 Converter - product # 37297
4) Unlikely, but it cannot hurt to ask.

If traveling to a foreign country, don;t forget to pack your regular power supply, plus a plug adapter for the electrical system used in that country.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
The biggest problem with non-CPAP power banks is the FAA limits on capacity, and getting enough output amps to run the machine. One popular inexpensive battery for running CPAP is the Poweradd Pilot Pro rated at 32000 mAh which is therefore 32 x 3.7 = 118.4 Wh which is just above FAA limits. However at $109, it is a great option for other uses because it has variable output 9 V, 12 V, 16 V, 19 V and 20 VDC at 4.5 amps. So using the 12/14 up-converter mentioned by JustMongo, it can deliver over 2 full nights of therapy. Anyway, I just thought I'd throw it out there, this unit has worked on CPAP and BPAP, but might be a problem on airlines.

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the responses. If it weighs more than a couple of lbs, it wouldn't be an option for airplane travel for me.

Could this be true: I spoke to a supply company today and the rep said that maybe only the resmed battery (very expensive - about $700) would work. She said the other one they sell would only last an hour, even without the humidifier because an ASV requires so much power, compared to a regular CPAP.

She asked my settings. I didn't post them with my profile because I don't understand how they are written. Can someone tell me how to convert this to the numbers that show up as one number over the other? My machine says: Mode: ASV EPAP 5.0 Min PS 3 Max PS 15

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Check out the Wiki at the top of the page for tons of info to help orient you to CPAP, APAP, BiPAP, and ASV machines and therapy.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
For the ResMed Power Station II check out the ResMed website "Battery Device Compatibility List" on the ResMed webpage

http://www.resmed.com/au/dam/documents/p...ow_eng.pdf

During a recent blackout mine lasted about 2 hours at my regular settings of auto humidity and 28c hose temperature. With humidity and heated hose off it the time would be much longer.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can put your settings in your profile as: EPAP 5.0 Min PS 3 Max PS 15.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2017, 04:48 PM)Dogwood1447 Wrote: Thanks for the responses. If it weighs more than a couple of lbs, it wouldn't be an option for airplane travel for me.

Could this be true: I spoke to a supply company today and the rep said that maybe only the resmed battery (very expensive - about $700) would work. She said the other one they sell would only last an hour, even without the humidifier because an ASV requires so much power, compared to a regular CPAP.

She asked my settings. I didn't post them with my profile because I don't understand how they are written. Can someone tell me how to convert this to the numbers that show up as one number over the other? My machine says: Mode: ASV EPAP 5.0 Min PS 3 Max PS 15

Thanks!

Don't believe everything a shop/rep tells you when it concerns a product they are an agent for.... do your own research on it (exactly as you are doing here)

I have purchased a car jump starter/compressor/240v AC/12v DC unit that can power my Dreamstation off 12v for about 5.5 hours using the humidifier and heated hose.

I have also just yesterday made up my own smaller battery pack for when I go motorcycle camping.
Recently I replaced the sealed lead acid battery in one of my bikes, so though it is effectively a battery at the end of its life, I decided to try it for my "test build" of a battery pack.

The home made battery pack gave me 4 hours last night with humidifier and heated hose before going flat in the middle of the night.
A brand new SLA battery of similar physical size and greater capacity will give me more time.

These types of pack are not what you are looking for if plane usage is required though.
Post Reply Post Reply
In this instance, plane travel is exactly what i'm looking for in terms of a battery.

Does anyone have experience with ANY lightweight batteries and an ASV machine?

Is it true that an ASV machine will deplete a battery much faster?

Many thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Check the Resmed battery guide, and use the VPAP Adapt as equal to your ASV http://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/a...lo_eng.pdf
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 102 3 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 382 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 208 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,432 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,335 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.