Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

newbie has question about APAP/ CPAP
newbie has question about APAP/ CPAP
Hi, i'm very new to this world, I've had the machine (a "loaner") for about 10 days now, and having a lot of typical trouble getting used to it. I have been an insomniac for years, and this new complication isn't helping!
I have a question I'm hoping someone can help me with - I was told I have positional apnea - on my back it was "severe", but there were no problems when I slept on my side, and in the sleep study I slept 70% of the time on my side. Should I ask for an auto adjust machine? So far, the sleep doctor has prescribed a regular CPAP but I don't really want the machine doing my breathing for me when I'm on my side when I don't need it to. I'm afraid my body will lose the ability to breathe safely in that position and I do throw the thing off and turn over sometimes when I know I've got 6 hours in.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: newbie has question about APAP/ CPAP
G'day katrinae, welcome to Apnea Board.

I'm a bit confused - you post indicates you have a straight CPAP but your profile says Autoset. Has one or the other changed or was that just a mistake?

An ordinary PAP machine, either constant or automatic pressure, does not breathe for you. It increases the pressure in your breathing tract (nose, throat etc) to prevent the airway collapsing. You still have to do your own breathing - in fact you have to work a bit harder to exhale against the pressure. There's no danger of your body losing the ability to breathe in any particular position.

Your prescribed pressure usually covers the worst case lying-on-back situation and in your case a pressure of 6 is about as low as you can sensibly go. Normally an autoset is preferred as it can adjust up and down according to your requirements, but if your pressure really is 6 and it's preventing obstructive apneas, then you probably wouldn't benefit a lot from an autoset in the short term. Over time, however, an autoset is still referable as your physiology changes with time and your pressure needs may change accordingly.

I'd be interested to now what sort of results you're getting, particularly your AHI score.

Good luck adjusting to PAP therapy - it's a bit of a struggle, but worth it in the long run.
Post Reply Post Reply
Greetings,

Glad you are here!

I am curious about the "typical trouble" you are having. Is it the pressure, the mask, the tube, or ??

(10-27-2015, 09:29 PM)katrinae Wrote: Hi, i'm very new to this world, I've had the machine (a "loaner") for about 10 days now, and having a lot of typical trouble getting used to it. I have been an insomniac for years, and this new complication isn't helping!

)))))))))))))))))))))))
I assume you have tried some things to treat the insomnia - but I will mention some things about sleep hygiene anyway, just in case.
  • quiet room
  • dark room
  • cool temperature
  • a "no blue screen" (computer or TV) 1/2 hour prior to bed time (per my sleep doctor)
  • NO alcohol within 2 or so hours prior to bed time (again, per my sleep doctor)
))))))))))))))))))))))))))

I have a question I'm hoping someone can help me with - I was told I have positional apnea - on my back it was "severe", but there were no problems when I slept on my side, and in the sleep study I slept 70% of the time on my side. Should I ask for an auto adjust machine? So far, the sleep doctor has prescribed a regular CPAP but I don't really want the machine doing my breathing for me when I'm on my side when I don't need it to. I'm afraid my body will lose the ability to breathe safely in that position and I do throw the thing off and turn over sometimes when I know I've got 6 hours in.

)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
An XPAP will NOT breath for you and will not cause your body to forget how to breath. However, an XPAP WILL adapt to your breathing and ramp up the pressure as needed, and ramp down again when not needed. A "brick", straight CPAP, will not change as your breathing needs change as a ramp down change requires a setting change done by a Tech or you.

Stick with it - it is SO worth it!
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
Get a data capable machine in auto.
It can run as a straight cpap mode as well as auto.
If your taking your mask off get a machine thays data capable and download software so you can see what is going on.
Trust me on this one.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello katrinae and welcome

First of all, CPAP/APAP machines are not designed to breathe for you. If you stop breathing for 10 seconds or more, the machine score that as an apnea, obstructive apnea for closed airways and central apnea for open airways

ASV machines can initiate a breath for you, if you fail to take a breath on your own, but that is a complex type machine and not something we should concern ourselves about

For positional sleep apnea, avoid sleeping on your back. A tennis ball or two inside a sock and attached it to the back of night shirt or whatever you wear for bed can helps preventing you rolling on your back

APAP has 2 pressures, lower and higher, pressure moves between them based on breathing patterns, REM sleep, and sleeping position.
CPAP deliver one fixed pressure all night and has to be high enough to deal with all the above, even when not needed as pressure cannot go lower or higher than set pressure

I always recommend this wiki for newbies http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...CPAP_users

Best of luck

Post Reply Post Reply
Taming the CPAP-Induced Insomnia Monster by By RobySue
http://adventures-in-hosehead-land.blogs...er_19.html
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-27-2015, 10:16 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: I'd be interested to now what sort of results you're getting, particularly your AHI score.
If AHI is not displayed in the sleep report, you'll need to go into the clinical menu and change "Essentials" from 'ON' to 'Plus'. Just below 'More Info' in the sleep report, you can change 'Period' to 1 Day to see last night data or average for the period selected
Whenever, you unplug the machine for whatever reason, 'Period' revert back to default 1 month
You'll have to change it to 1 day, so the data match-up with the top part of the sleep report

AirSense 10 instructions and how to get the clinical manual for your CPAP machine
http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-airsens...setup-info

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the feedback. The machine I have is a loaner and it says autoset on it, not sure it's operating in that mode. The CPAP salesperson said that the dr only prescribed CPAP, not APAP, so that is what they would sell me. I'm in Canada, lots of rules I'm finding out.
MY AHI average is .9 for 10 days. Tonight for the first couple of hours the number was higher (3.6) but I think the mask wasn't on tight. I have a lot of trouble sleeping(for years, I know about sleep hygiene) I've been up since 3 a.m. so far tonight, and I know I shouldn't be on a screen, but I've already been up for an hour and a half and don't feel tired enough to sleep. I have other issues that affect sleep but hosing up with a mask on my face isn't helping (I'm on my third mask so I am trying different ones). I find I can't turn over comfortably with the hose and mask which is one thing.
Machine has data and I downloaded Sleepyhead tonight and figured out the card so I have access to the data.
I'm so far not having any positive effect even when I do sleep. I am glad to hear that my body will still know how to breathe! Being dependent on a machine for the rest of my life is a daunting prospect.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi katrinae,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I know CPAP can take some getting used to but just stick with it, it does get better.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi katrinae,

Wow - you have been doing your homework!

Can't add much except to say keep on keeping on. The mask is usually the hardest part, as each person has different facial contours, and different sleeping needs.

Please keep us posted - would love to see the insomnia decrease.
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 390 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 134 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 193 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 89 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 374 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 206 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 577 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.