Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

newbie help -just got machine 2 days ago.
newbie help -just got machine 2 days ago.
Hi,

Do to insurance problems, I have been trying to get treatment for about 1 year. Well finally things came together -well probably as I will have to wait to see if I get a bill for last hospital visit.

Bottom line is this will be my third night with the machine. I have asked several people and getting conflicting answers:

1) How often should I change the water in the tray? The company that supplied the machine said to top it off each night, then clean it once a week. But other people said change it every night or every other night. My sister does this every night but she uses normal water and most people hav e said to use distilled water..which is what I have right now.

2) Did any of you experience memory problems and if so did it improve when you went on the machine?

3) There is a blue tooth adapter option for my machine..phillips system one. Is it worth it or is there a way software way to read the data directly from the sd card? IT is my job and I am simply curious about this.

4) Any general advice you can think of for a new user?

I will say I had a great tech/nurse for the second hospital visit. He went well out of his way to find the right mask for me. We tried the nostril kind first, but it made me feel sick as it kept blowing air out of my mouth and I woke up stuffed up and with a sore throat. Out of 4 or 5 we tested, I found the small full face mask was the best for me and is quiet, works well, and doesn't make me feel like I am getting sick. The supply company woman didn't want to give that one to me at first , in part because I have a beard but relented in the end. and I did feel a difference in alertness the very first morning so I think it is working!

Thanks!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: newbie help -just got machine 2 days ago.
(01-17-2014, 10:54 PM)Fletch Wrote: 1) How often should I change the water in the tray? The company that supplied the machine said to top it off each night, then clean it once a week. But other people said change it every night or every other night. My sister does this every night but she uses normal water and most people hav e said to use distilled water..which is what I have right now.

2) Did any of you experience memory problems and if so did it improve when you went on the machine?

3) There is a blue tooth adapter option for my machine..phillips system one. Is it worth it or is there a way software way to read the data directly from the sd card? IT is my job and I am simply curious about this.

Fletch...

1. I change my water daily... I have to, my machine is dry. If you are using distilled water, do as they say or do it everyday.

2. What were we talking about.... Oh Yeah... Memory loss, Yes... Everything in Life will pretty much get better... Keep a positive attitude and get through the first few months of learning curve. I just finished 3 months and love it... PLUS... READ ALL THE POST PEOPLE HAVE MADE... There is years and years of info that you can get a heads up on.

3. I use an SD... I don't know anything about your machine... so some one else should answer. OH Yeah... I use SleepyHead software and like it a lot... learned that here too!

4. Just know things will get better and easier the more compliant you are... like I was saying... read and ask the resident experts questions... They are all very helpful around here Big Grin

GOOD LUCK!! Big Grin

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Fletch , welcome aboard
1) How often should I change the water in the tray?
There is no one definite answer, however if using distilled water, you can just top up

No but no longer wake up with a headache

3) Is it worth it or is there a way software way to read the data directly from the sd card?
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...e-software

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...CPAP_users

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Fletch,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I use distilled water and I top mine off. Some say you shouldn't do that but I've never had any problems. I wash it once a week in warm, mild soapy water, (Ivory Liquid,) with my hose and mask.
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Fletch, welcome, the others have pretty much answered your questions, two additional tips, have your hose coming from above your head either over a bed head or you can buy a product called a hose lift or make one yourself, that way you don't get tangled and your mask pulls up instead of down and use mask liners, they help to stop leaks and your skin doesn't touch the silicone. You can buy them over the net or make them yourself fairly cheaply. In the US some insurance companies cover them, I can send you the instructions on how to make them if you want.
Post Reply Post Reply
Most everyone is different in how they do stuff. I've been a xPAP user for +10 years now, and some stuff I am very slack about, I am lucky to clean my mask weekly! That said, my water chamber is emptied and rinsed every sleep session (this includes naps too) - the very first time you see 'stuff' floating in the water, you may well get that way too. It is more about personal hygiene habits, than what is good for the machine - they are very durable.

As for memory, headaches daytime sleepiness, etc...
Some folks see immediate improvement, whereas others it can take months - every 'body' is different, and, is the issue of concern *only* created by OSA? Or does the issue have multiple causes in 'your' life? My heart issues created by OSA has taken roughly 7-8 years to repair itself, that said, there was no promise that my high (122, even on Valium) resting heart rate issue would ever get better - because everyone is different.

Tips and Tricks - read 1-2 hours of this forum daily. There is lots of little things to pickup. A mask that I love, you may hate~! Get a new (free) mask as often as you can (spares, and trials), collect spare parts of everything. Water in a machine that gets knocked over is really, really bad. Don't lunge out of bed with your mask on.

If need be, wear your mask when awake for a few practice hours daily, then, never, ever, put your mask on unless you are ready to fall asleep (trains you to fall asleep quickly-hopefully).

Since some of your sleep habits are changing out of need, this is a great time to review your sleeping habits completely and to make any other needed changes for healthy sleeping.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks guys (and gals) for the helpful advise. I found the software and it worked fine though I do not know how to interpret the results yet.

Ok for now I will just top off the water and clean the tray once a week and see how it goes.

I sure hope my memory improves as it is an important part of my job and I am tired of being "stupid", though thankfully this problem would come and go so there is hope I could get back to normal.

It's only been 3 nights so far so hard to be sure about anything but so far:

The only issue I have noticed was last night. I remember waking up and my mask was leaking. That did not happen the first 2 nights. My heart beat was a little high when I woke up this am and they told me in the past this was part of apnea. So I need to be more careful about my mask leaks. it is a full face Quattro (small) and I do like it.

ON the + side: it could be a coincidence, but I am no longer waking up in the night having to go to the bathroom. I thought this was due to all the coffee I drink to stay awake, so not sure.

NO back aches when I wake up for the past 3 days. I think this is due to the fact that I believe I am not tossing and turning nearly as much. I did not think this was due to apnea but I did know I tossed and turned a lot as it would sometimes wake me up.

Now the rest is up to me. I have been basically drugging myself to be alert during the day and then drugging myself to go to sleep. I am going to slowly ween myself off of this and hopefully things will be even better.
Thanks again for all the tips!!!!!!!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2014, 01:13 PM)Fletch Wrote: The only issue I have noticed was last night. I remember waking up and my mask was leaking.

ON the + side: it could be a coincidence, but I am no longer waking up in the night having to go to the bathroom. I thought this was due to all the coffee I drink to stay awake, so not sure.
Its worth mentioning just in case, the mask require washing after each use to wash away skin oil. It might good idea to try one size up or down just to make sure got the right size or even different mask
Apnea and night time urination goes together, when apnea been treated, the frequency of waking up during the night to pee decreases
Data is important but for now I would concentrate making the therapy as comfortable as possible and the rest will follow, more like a jigsaw puzzle ... one piece at a time. a journey of thousand miles begins with a single step

Post Reply Post Reply
and wash your face at night just before you put your mask on. ffm tend to leak more than nasal mask or nasal pillows
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum!

There is a condition brought on by sleep apnea that causes frequent urination (nocturia). I too thought mine was due to too much green tea. I stopped that and began drinking water. Still up several times in the night. When I began CPAP it has 100% corrected the nocturia.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 376 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 479 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 265 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 296 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.