Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

newbie help -just got machine 2 days ago.
RE: newbie help -just got machine 2 days ago.
(01-17-2014, 11:13 PM)zonk Wrote:
(01-18-2014, 01:37 PM)zonk Wrote: [quote='Fletch' pid='55837' dateline='1390068801']
The only issue I have noticed was last night. I remember waking up and my mask was leaking.

ON the + side: it could be a coincidence, but I am no longer waking up in the night having to go to the bathroom. I thought this was due to all the coffee I drink to stay awake, so not sure.
Its worth mentioning just in case, the mask require washing after each use to wash away skin oil. It might good idea to try one size up or down just to make sure got the right size or even different mask
Apnea and night time urination goes together, when apnea been treated, the frequency of waking up during the night to pee decreases
Data is important but for now I would concentrate making the therapy as comfortable as possible and the rest will follow, more like a jigsaw puzzle ... one piece at a time. a journey of thousand miles begins with a single step

Hey thanks for all the tips Noone told me to wash the mask daily. in fact they told me to do it once a week. They told me to use dish washer soap . Is that correct?
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2014, 01:45 PM)me50 Wrote: and wash your face at night just before you put your mask on. ffm tend to leak more than nasal mask or nasal pillows

That could have been it. I not only got home late but had a lot of work to do. When I was finally finished, I took a sleeping pill and it knocked me out on the couch with the tv on. When I woke up I was so tired, that I skipped my normal routine of brushing my teeth, mouth wash etc and went straight to bed. My face certainly could have been dirty as I had eaten some popcorn.

Let's see if tonight goes better.

Thanks,..
(01-18-2014, 03:47 PM)ImaSurvivor Wrote: Welcome to the forum!

There is a condition brought on by sleep apnea that causes frequent urination (nocturia). I too thought mine was due to too much green tea. I stopped that and began drinking water. Still up several times in the night. When I began CPAP it has 100% corrected the nocturia.

Thanks for confirming this. I am going to really sleep better if that is gone along with the sore back, much less dealing with the apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use Ivory liquid with warm water to soak my mask, hose and humidifier chamber, once a week and in between the time I wash everything, I have started using CPAP wipes on my mask cushion and the silicon frame.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2014, 08:40 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: I use Ivory liquid with warm water to soak my mask, hose and humidifier chamber, once a week and in between the time I wash everything, I have started using CPAP wipes on my mask cushion and the silicon frame.

Thanks.

What are cpap wipes?

My mask leaked again last night even though I washed it and myself before bed time. My mask is normally very quiet that is how I can tell. It woke me up and I tightened the straps. This helped but it I think it was still happening. When I woke up I turned to my right side. Maybe a minute later I heard the leak- it was the upper corner near the upper part of my left side of my nose. I just washed the mask again and noticed that I did not tighten the bottom strap properly ..maybe this is the problem. Will try again tonight a bit tighter. Thanks again to you and everone else for the help.
Post Reply Post Reply
They come in a canister and you tear one off, they are a cotton type material with a bit of moisture, (they have vitamin E and a few other things,) and they are unscented. You can find them at Supplier #1 on the suppliers list at the top of each page here on this board.
Edit: Good luck with your mask tonight. If you just can't get that one to work, don't be shy about asking to try different masks 'till you find the one that works for you, end edit.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2014, 09:35 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: They come in a canister and you tear one off, they are a cotton type material with a bit of moisture, (they have vitamin E and a few other things,) and they are unscented. You can find them at Supplier #1 on the suppliers list at the top of each page here on this board.

Thank you..
Post Reply Post Reply
No problem, hang in there and don't give up, it does get better.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
ffm will leak more than others for the most part. YMMV with ffm. Have you thought about trying a nasal mask or nasal pillows?
Post Reply Post Reply
Another good mild soap that is good to use for washing mask is Dawn. Unscented with no antibacterial agent in it. My DME recommended it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm like trish6hundred, i use the comercially made cpap mask wipes after every sleep session on my mask, top the water off each time, and once a week thoroughly clean everything. Have been doing this for two years and no mold, or any other problems. Good luck to you
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 372 10 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 199 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 476 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 263 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 291 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.