Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

newbie help -just got machine 2 days ago.
RE: newbie help -just got machine 2 days ago.
(01-20-2014, 04:18 PM)brianwood619 Wrote: I'm like trish6hundred, i use the comercially made cpap mask wipes after every sleep session on my mask, top the water off each time, and once a week thoroughly clean everything. Have been doing this for two years and no mold, or any other problems. Good luck to you

Thanks.I did not find any last night but will keep looking.

I had better luck last night:

I did tighten the mask..so tight that the lower strap came unsnapped from the mask the first time I put it on. But I got it the second time and did not have any leaks period (because they wake me up). I had to unsnap it when I woke up to get out of the mask, so I may see if I can go a tiny bit looser tonight and still have no leaks. So I am making progress!
Post Reply Post Reply
FYI - most FFMs can't be slid off, they need to be unlatched in order to come off. Be careful as sliding one off may cause strap stretching...
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2014, 02:38 PM)Peter_C Wrote: FYI - most FFMs can't be slid off, they need to be unlatched in order to come off. Be careful as sliding one off may cause strap stretching...

Thank you, I did not know that. I am still getting used to this and some nights I have leaks , some I don't. Last night i had some leaks and noticed this morning the mask put more impressions on my face on my left side than the right.

Also some nights I undersleep and some I over sleep. Not sure if it's this or do to all the weening I am doing both on coffee, etc to stay awake in the day and sleeping pills at night to sleep.

But overall it is working. Little to no back pain in the morning and never wake up in the night anymore to go to the bathroom.
Post Reply Post Reply
Remember, the first few weeks a lot of stuff is going on, so you may feel great one day, and lousy the next. Don't stress over it, your body is just learning new habits.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2014, 01:34 AM)Peter_C Wrote: Remember, the first few weeks a lot of stuff is going on, so you may feel great one day, and lousy the next. Don't stress over it, your body is just learning new habits.

Thanks. Things are getting better, especially since I have been able to greatly ween myself off of stimulants this past week. I think that and switching from strong to weak sleeping aids was part of the wake up early/late stuff I was experiencing.

Around mid week I realized my memory was improving- Got a call that our hospital branch was having issues charging patrons too much for double sided printing. I remembered this same problem at our main branch about 5 or so years ago. It did not take me but a few minutes to fix the problem, where in the recent past, I would still be able to fix it, but it would take a good while for me to remember how I did it. Around the same time I remembered I was driving around with expired insurance cards..just forgot to put the new ones in the car.

Unhooking the mask seems to give me more consistent fittings and I am having less leakage issues. My right side is still a bit too tight but I can adjust that.

I happy to say this machine is already working for me. The only lingering issue is I still have trouble going to sleep and still staying up too late. Guess that one will just take time to adjust too.

Thanks for all the help,
Fletch
Post Reply Post Reply
Learning new sleep habits will take time, but sounds like progress Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Fletch,

When I wear a ResMed Mirage Quattro full face mask I need to use a ResMed Gecko gel pad. Some insurance companies will pay for the the Gecko, or it costs about $16 from Supplier #2 on our supplier list. The Gecko does a great job for me of protecting the bridge of my nose from becoming sore, and prevents all leaks around nose and eyes. I can use a gel pad for a month or two before it gets too stretchy/soft to work well. I keep the container it comes in to store the gel pad when not using it.

When I wear a ResMed Quattro FX full face mask I need to use a RemZzz mask liner instead of the gel pad. I can usually re-use a liner for several days, until it gets too stretched out to cover the mask well. The liner makes leaks smaller, softer, quieter, less objectionable.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2014, 02:09 AM)vsheline Wrote: Hi Fletch,

When I wear a ResMed Mirage Quattro full face mask I need to use a ResMed Gecko gel pad. Some insurance companies will pay for the the Gecko, or it costs about $16 from Supplier #2 on our supplier list. The Gecko does a great job for me of protecting the bridge of my nose from becoming sore, and prevents all leaks around nose and eyes. I can use a gel pad for a month or two before it gets too stretchy/soft to work well. I keep the container it comes in to store the gel pad when not using it.

When I wear a ResMed Quattro FX full face mask I need to use a RemZzz mask liner instead of the gel pad. I can usually re-use a liner for several days, until it gets too stretched out to cover the mask well. The liner makes leaks smaller, softer, quieter, less objectionable.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

Vaughn,

Sorry I did not see your reply until I got on a second ago. I will give them a try if it comes to that but I pretty much have the tension adjusted now so I don't have near marks on my face when I wake up. My mask leaks are much less now because I can now sleep on my back most of the night . I could not do this before I got my machine, but it has done something to relieve back soreness that I have had for years that I though was due to an old back injury. I am going to ask my Dr how this could be, but I think it has to do with the fact I am no longer tossing around so much when I sleep. If I sleep on my side I still get some leaks but have learned to adjust my face so the mask hangs off the pillows and this seems to help.

Thanks again for the reply!
Fletch
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 379 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 480 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 265 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 296 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.