Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can CPAP cause heart issues?
Can CPAP cause heart issues?
Hi
My wife has been using CPAP for about a year. Finally got the Airsense 10 dialed in where her AHI is .60-2.3ish. Resmed F20 Fulll Mask. She had a CT scan last week and the found an enlarged heart.
She is 63 and it has been many years since last CT scan so not sure when it may have started. She has been having high and irregular heart beet issues since AUG 2021. 

Has anyone ever heard of CPAP causing any issues like this? Trying to find out what may have caused it? Her BP and heart rate is normal, not overweight. Always had high cholesterol for the last 20 years.

We have an appointment with the cardiologist next week but trying to see if anyone has heard of CPAP theropy causing this.

Attached last nights Oscar screenshot

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can CPAP cause heart issues?
It is much more likely that her heart condition contributed to her apnea than the other way around. But I don't see a link here
Post Reply Post Reply
untreated apnea can cause an enlarged heart. apnea may have been working on her heart long before she was diagnosed and started treatment.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been on it for 25+ years - not a problem.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't have an enlarged heart myself but there's other issues, high blood pressure, PVCs, lower but not yet dangerous LVEF%, none is CPAP caused by rather because PAP therapy was delayed it made the heart health worse. My family has a BP history along with congestive heart failure, so let's add that. My point is lack of Apnea therapy is much more a danger than having PAP.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My last chest xray noted an enlarged heart.
My BP used to be fairly high too, but now it's down in the range that some nurses check it twice thinking they made a mistake the first time. Never fails to make me smile.
I like to think that my previous severe apnea caused my body to strengthen up trying to save self, and now cpap took the stress off so Im left with an overly capable heart.

Thats just a guess though.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 54 Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 9 187 03-26-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Luka07
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 106 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 110 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Equipment] O2 ring/weird heart rate/no other symptoms jdavis 6 191 03-09-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Airsense 10 Issues cgries2448 0 157 03-09-2024, 03:31 PM
Last Post: cgries2448

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.